|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work of literature seizes Ellison's young mind early on?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The American Constitution.
(c) Black like me.
(d) The Waste Land.
2. What is minstrel show black face?
(a) Dark themed short skits and plays in vaudeville.
(b) White performers painting their faces black and acting in a pseudo-Negro nonsensical way.
(c) Southern music and dance.
(d) Black actors acting in minstrel shows that are comic and touching.
3. What is it that widens Ellison's world in a dramatic way?
(b) Traveling abroad.
(c) Living with a white family.
4. What does Wright do at age four?
(a) Begins to read.
(b) Makes a speech at church.
(c) Sets the house on fire.
(d) Plays the piano.
5. What musician does Ellison see as the true "trickster" archetype?
(a) Jack Benny.
(b) Charlie Parker.
(c) Louis Armstrong.
(d) Mahalia Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellison reject the "hard-boiled" novel style of writing?
2. Why does Ellison choose to analyze Ernest Hemingway?
3. Why does Ellison choose to write "Invisible Man" in a non-naturalistic way?
4. How does Ellison describe the writer Malraux?
5. Who is Stanley Edgar Hyman?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)