|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellison describe the philosopher Kierkegaard in the "Stephen Crane.." essay?
(a) The keeper of Sophocles flame.
(b) Pinnacle of the romantic poets of the 1950s.
(c) Philosopher king who wrecked the castle.
(d) Household god for many contemporary novelists.
2. What type of jug does Ellison believe young Negro writers, such as himself, are in?
(a) Small overcrowded jug.
(b) Expensive jug, one to be carefully guarded.
(c) Broken jug, leaking and being wasted.
(d) Transparent jug, stuck inside but able to see out.
3. What is the Negro child taught to see the white man as?
(a) Omniscient, omnipotent and as relentless as a Mississippi flood.
(b) Wise and loyal.
(c) Something to be ignored.
(d) A being from another planet.
4. What book does Hemingway believe all modern American fiction sprang from?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Huckleberry Finn.
(c) The Red Badge of Courage.
(d) The Bible.
5. What does Wright do at age four?
(a) Sets the house on fire.
(b) Makes a speech at church.
(c) Begins to read.
(d) Plays the piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crane die of and where?
2. Who is Stanley Edgar Hyman?
3. Why does Ellison reject the "hard-boiled" novel style of writing?
4. What Greek myth does Ellison refer to in "Brave Words?"
5. What does Ellison believe writing is?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)