|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellison say the greatest difficulty for the Negro writer is?
(a) Reveal what he truly feels rather than serving up what Negroes are supposed to feel.
(b) Find a subject worthy of his time and effort.
(c) Capture the Negro speech idiom and put it down on paper.
(d) Get someone to publish him because most of the publishers were white.
2. Ellison says Hemingway sought technical perfection rather than what?
(a) Fame and notoriety.
(b) Financial gain.
(c) Moral insight.
(d) Lyrical qualities.
3. What does Falkner understand about racial social code of the South?
(a) It will never change.
(b) Here today, gone tomorrow.
(c) Destructive to both Negro and white parts of society.
(d) It is fragile and illusionary.
4. Which critics of "Black Boy" does Ellison want to respond to?
(a) Those who believe Wright is self-involved.
(b) Those who believe Wright is a communist.
(c) Those who see the book as a miracle and its author a mystery.
(d) Those who believe Wright is exaggerating the truth.
5. What is the Negro child taught to see the white man as?
(a) A being from another planet.
(b) Something to be ignored.
(c) Wise and loyal.
(d) Omniscient, omnipotent and as relentless as a Mississippi flood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellison describe Wright's autobiography "Black Boy?"
2. What is the origin of the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke?"
3. Who is the editor of "The Primer for White Folks?"
4. What is dangerous and different about Wright's attitude?
5. How many children are in Stephen Crane's birth family?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)