|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Falkner understand about racial social code of the South?
(a) Destructive to both Negro and white parts of society.
(b) Here today, gone tomorrow.
(c) It is fragile and illusionary.
(d) It will never change.
2. Where is Richard Wright born?
(a) In a log cabin located in the heart of Nebraska.
(b) On a train as it traveled from Georgia to Maine.
(c) In the New York City Negro hospital
(d) On a Mississippi plantation.
3. That Ellison's first novel might win a prestigious award makes him think what?
(a) The committee has made a huge mistake.
(b) There is a crisis in the American novel.
(c) He is chosen only because he is Negro.
(d) He is a brilliant writer.
4. What book does Hemingway believe all modern American fiction sprang from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) The Red Badge of Courage.
5. Who is the editor of "The Primer for White Folks?"
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) Ralph Ellison.
(d) Bucklin Moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the essay "Richard Wright's Blues" published and when?
2. What does Mark Twain do with the character of Jim that breaks through the black face minstrel tradition?
3. What does the phrase "to finger its jagged grain and to transcend it" refer to?
4. Who is Stephen Crane?
5. How does Ellison describe his boyhood experience in Oklahoma?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)