|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children are in Stephen Crane's birth family?
2. Why does Ellison choose to analyze William Falkner?
(a) Falkner is a great artist and could not be left out of the discussion.
(b) Falkner is very critical of Ellison's novel.
(c) Falkner writes about Negro life with mixed motives but also with great success.
(d) Falkner is a close personal friend of Ellison.
3. What does Ralph Ellison's father hope that Ralph will grow up to be?
(a) College professor.
(c) Jazz musician.
(d) Police officer.
4. Other white cultures have black face type entertainment, but what is different about American black face?
(a) American black face is always light and fun.
(b) The American history of inclusive entertainment makes it acceptable.
(c) American black face is performed by Negro actors only.
(d) The American history of slavery makes it a "ritual of exorcism."
5. What book does Hemingway believe all modern American fiction sprang from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) The Red Badge of Courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark Twain do with the character of Jim that breaks through the black face minstrel tradition?
2. Who is Stephen Crane?
3. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
4. For Ellison who is the greatest artist the south has ever produced?
5. What musician does Ellison see as the true "trickster" archetype?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)