|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other white cultures have black face type entertainment, but what is different about American black face?
(a) The American history of inclusive entertainment makes it acceptable.
(b) American black face is performed by Negro actors only.
(c) The American history of slavery makes it a "ritual of exorcism."
(d) American black face is always light and fun.
2. How old is Crane when he wrote his masterpiece "The Red Badge of Courage?"
3. Why does Oklahoma hold some freedom and equality for Negroes at the time Ellison lived there?
(a) It is fully integrated and equality was legislated.
(b) It has no tradition of slavery.
(c) Oklahoma is founded on Mormon principles which forbade prejudice.
(d) There are almost no Negroes in Oklahoma.
4. What does Ellison say good fiction is made of?
(a) What is real.
(c) Tricks of the trade.
(d) Eternal truth.
5. Why does Ellison choose to analyze William Falkner?
(a) Falkner is a close personal friend of Ellison.
(b) Falkner writes about Negro life with mixed motives but also with great success.
(c) Falkner is very critical of Ellison's novel.
(d) Falkner is a great artist and could not be left out of the discussion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is minstrel show black face?
2. Why does Ellison's family live in a middle class white neighborhood in Oklahoma City?
3. Who is Stanley Hyman's favorite archetypal figure?
4. What is Ellison's original career direction?
5. Why do Crane and his wife move to England?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)