|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child what do Ellison and his boyhood friends believe they are to do?
(a) Negros could never equal the lives of white Americans.
(b) They were doomed to hard manual labor and suffering.
(c) Negros had no chance of doing anything interesting in life.
(d) Be whoever they would and could be.
2. Other white cultures have black face type entertainment, but what is different about American black face?
(a) American black face is always light and fun.
(b) The American history of inclusive entertainment makes it acceptable.
(c) The American history of slavery makes it a "ritual of exorcism."
(d) American black face is performed by Negro actors only.
3. What folk tradition does Ellison believe the black face figure grows out of?
(d) West Indies.
4. Who is Stanley Hyman's favorite archetypal figure?
(c) Orphaned prince.
5. What is Ellison's original career direction?
(a) Tend gardens.
(b) Design buildings.
(c) Heal the sick.
(d) Play the trumpet.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Ellison a primary difference between Twain and Hemingway is what?
2. Where does Ellison grow up?
3. Ellison says Hemingway sought technical perfection rather than what?
4. What does Ellison say the greatest difficulty for the Negro writer is?
5. What does Huckleberry Finn recognize about the Negro character, Jim?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)