|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Crane's parents like?
(a) Libertine alcoholics.
(b) Fundamentalist Christians.
(c) Marxist sympathizers.
(d) French born intellectuals.
2. How does Ellison describe his boyhood experience in Oklahoma?
(a) Very controlled and regimented experience.
(b) Series of mind numbing and violent episodes.
(c) Romantic aspirations in the spirit of frontier adventurousness.
(d) Poverty stricken existence with little enjoyment.
3. What does the phrase "to finger its jagged grain and to transcend it" refer to?
(a) To climb great mountains.
(b) The power of the blues.
(c) To walk the razor's edge of reason.
(d) The complexity of writing fiction.
4. For Ellison who is the greatest artist the south has ever produced?
(a) William Falkner.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Ralph Ellison.
5. As a child what do Ellison and his boyhood friends believe they are to do?
(a) Negros could never equal the lives of white Americans.
(b) Be whoever they would and could be.
(c) Negros had no chance of doing anything interesting in life.
(d) They were doomed to hard manual labor and suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellison consider Stephen Crane a great artist?
2. What does Falkner understand about racial social code of the South?
3. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
4. How many children are in Stephen Crane's birth family?
5. Who is Henry Bowman Otto Davis?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)