|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Crane die of and where?
(a) Murder, on board a ship crossing the Atlantic.
(b) Tuberculosis, in the far Black Forest of Germany.
(c) In a fierce battle on the plains of Alsace.
(d) The black plague of 1834, in London, England.
2. Who is Henry Bowman Otto Davis?
(a) Author of "Radios and Communication, a guide."
(b) Little white boy known as Hoolie befriended by the young Ellison.
(c) Father of Ellison's grade school nemesis, Horatio Davis.
(d) Editor of the first magazine which published Ellison.
3. Who is Stanley Edgar Hyman?
(a) A scholar who wrote on the relationship between Negro literature and folklore.
(b) A lyricist and comedian in the 1930's.
(c) The prominent Negro intellectual who wrote "Santa Claus is Black."
(d) Ellison's uncle who has a good sense of humor.
4. What specific folk art form does "Black Boy" reflect?
(a) African ethnic mask making.
(b) Folk sculpture.
(c) The blues.
(d) Modern dance.
5. Where does Ellison grow up?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) New York City.
(d) Oklahoma City.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child what is Wright unable to distinguish between?
2. Why does Ellison choose to analyze Mark Twain?
3. What does Mark Twain do with the character of Jim that breaks through the black face minstrel tradition?
4. In the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke" what does Ellison say black face allows white America to do?
5. Where and when is the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke" published?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)