|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Crane when he wrote his masterpiece "The Red Badge of Courage?"
2. What is the relationship between Ellison and Stanley Hyman?
(a) Cousins who grew up together in Oklahoma.
(b) Professors competing over the same university job.
(c) Writers who abhor each other's work.
(d) Friends and intellectual sparing partners.
3. According to Ellison what does the term "the grays" mean?
(a) Negro term for nightfall.
(b) American melting pot.
(c) Negro term for white people.
(d) Slang word for feeling bored.
4. Who is Stephen Crane?
(a) A novelist born just after the Civil War.
(b) A English gentleman who has fast holdings of land, slaves and wealth.
(c) A 20th century novelist and author of "Here today, gone tomorrow."
(d) Ellison's first English professor who wrote "Black like me."
5. What is Ellison's original career direction?
(a) Heal the sick.
(b) Play the trumpet.
(c) Design buildings.
(d) Tend gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Negro child taught to see the white man as?
2. How does Ellison describe his boyhood experience in Oklahoma?
3. What three ways do Negroes in Wright's childhood survive?
4. What does Wright do at age four?
5. Why does Ellison choose to analyze Mark Twain?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)