|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, The Seer and the Seen, Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of the essay "Change the Joke and Slip the Yoke?"
(a) "Invisible Man."
(b) Treatise on the folk art of tying knots.
(c) Letter written by Ellison when he was living in Rome to an old friend.
(d) Short story about lynching.
2. Where does Ellison say civil wars are fought?
(a) "Between and betwixt fantasy and reality."
(b) "On the field of family ties."
(c) "In no man's land which cannot be grasped."
(d) "Within the individual human heart."
3. Where is Richard Wright born?
(a) On a Mississippi plantation.
(b) In a log cabin located in the heart of Nebraska.
(c) On a train as it traveled from Georgia to Maine.
(d) In the New York City Negro hospital
4. What does the phrase "to finger its jagged grain and to transcend it" refer to?
(a) The power of the blues.
(b) To walk the razor's edge of reason.
(c) The complexity of writing fiction.
(d) To climb great mountains.
5. What does Mark Twain do with the character of Jim that breaks through the black face minstrel tradition?
(a) Jim performs black face without the paint.
(b) Jim's very serious and not at all fun.
(c) He's a complex, dignified and very human person.
(d) Jim is stereotypical and boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three themes of "Shadow and Act" according to the Introduction?
2. Falkner writes exclusively of the southern experience yet Ellison believes him to be addressing what?
3. Who is Henry Bowman Otto Davis?
4. Where is the essay "Richard Wright's Blues" published and when?
5. What is Ellison's original career direction?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)