|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellison says Hemingway sought technical perfection rather than what?
(a) Lyrical qualities.
(b) Financial gain.
(c) Moral insight.
(d) Fame and notoriety.
2. What is Ellison's original choice of career?
3. Why does Ellison reject the "hard-boiled" novel style of writing?
(a) Focused on detectives and criminals.
(b) Too boring for what he wants to say.
(c) Primarily a white form of writing.
(d) Full of physical violence, social cynicism and understatement.
4. What does Falkner understand about racial social code of the South?
(a) Here today, gone tomorrow.
(b) Destructive to both Negro and white parts of society.
(c) It will never change.
(d) It is fragile and illusionary.
5. Why does Ellison consider Stephen Crane a great artist?
(a) He was the first great Negro author.
(b) He was talented in so many artistic fields.
(c) He wrote so many books.
(d) Under pressure and panic he stuck to his guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie Christian play when he was a young child?
2. Why does Ellison chose not to emphasize the details of racial hardship in his life?
3. Who names Ellison?
4. Where does Ellison give the public address "Hidden Name and Complex Fate?"
5. Who lives on the left of Ellison?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)