|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Sound and the Mainstream, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is dangerous and different about Wright's attitude?
(a) Refused to participate in school.
(b) Ran for public office and refused to accept defeat.
(c) Was loud and demanding of others.
(d) Sought individual freedom in a "pre-individual" Negro culture.
2. What does Ellison say slaves had in place of freedom?
(a) Early death, disease, drunkenness.
(b) Blues, spirituals, jazz.
(c) Suffering, despair, darkness.
(d) Dementia, mental illness, emptiness.
3. What is the Negro child taught to see the white man as?
(a) Omniscient, omnipotent and as relentless as a Mississippi flood.
(b) Wise and loyal.
(c) A being from another planet.
(d) Something to be ignored.
4. Who is LeRoi Jones?
(a) Journalist, painter and fencing master.
(b) Trumpeter and composer.
(c) Drummer, restaurant owner and chef.
(d) Jazz critic, author, poet and editor.
5. What do the blues capture?
(a) Personality of the singer.
(b) The time period in which they were written.
(c) Religion of the Negro people.
(d) Tragic and comic sense of the human condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the book review "Blues People" published and when?
2. What does the hero of "Invisible Man" do that is a common theme in Negro folklore?
3. What three ways do Negroes in Wright's childhood survive?
4. Where is Richard Wright born?
5. Where is the essay "Richard Wright's Blues" published and when?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)