|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and Lucas recite during Holy Week?
2. What does Jim admit is an easier way of life than the one he has been chosen by God?
3. Where does Jim go for a vacation?
4. What does Dr. Tidmarsh teach Jim and the other new missionaries?
5. Where does Jim believe "goods" are stored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jim prays that God will give him some signal for his departure?
2. What is a positive outgrowth from the Flemings' fiesta at Puyupungu?
3. What happens when Jim and Ed decide to help the missionary teacher in Arajuno?
4. Why does Elisabeth experience doubt upon the news of the Aucan spotting?
5. What amazes Elisabeth about the Indians attending Jim's sermons?
6. What are some of the situations that require Jim to use his medical training?
7. What seems to be a consistent problem Jim and the missionaries encounter?
8. What events characterize Jim and Elisabeth's first few months as newlyweds?
9. Describe what happens when the ship makes port at Puna and the men disembark.
10. What is the significance for Jim of Paul's passage to Corinthians, "it is a matter of share and share alike"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stemming from a Greek word, dichotomy is a division into two usually contradictory parts or opinions. The dichotomy of Jim's career ranging between being a preacher and garbage collector is expansive. How does Jim use the skills from both professions to carve out his future? How does Jim use oration skills to his advantage? What recycling and refuse skills are useful for Jim in his future endeavors? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Jim wrote, "God deliver me from the dread asbestos of 'other things.' Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit that I may be aflame. But a flame is transient, often short-lived." In your opinion, do you believe Jim's flame of fire is ever ignited? Given flames extinguish over time, is Jim's death the final extinguisher for his fire? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The first major transition of missionaries emerged from Palestine and spread throughout the Mediterranean world. The apostle Paul became the missionary to the Gentile world. Jim reads considerable works by the apostle Paul. Using the Encyclopedia Britannica or another religion encyclopedia, research the three transitions of Christianity. Discuss which transition the Plymouth Brethren would have been part of. What is significant about this transition? What are the major geographic regions that Christianity spread in this transition?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)