|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many U-boats were destroyed during Black May?
2. When did Kohler and his wife separate?
3. What color shirt did Kohler find in the wreck in September?
4. Where did Kohler move with his kids in 1995?
5. Of the IXC U-boats that never returned from patrol, how many had had survivors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Nagle's personal appearance when the "Seeker" made the first trip back to the wreck in 1992?
2. How did Chatterton and Kohler learn that the sub had been identified?
3. Why didn't Chatterton and Kohler stop diving after it appeared that the sub had to the the U-869?
4. Why wasn't the wreck the U-851 or U-158?
5. How did the U-857 sink?
6. What was a circle-runner?
7. What was the commissioning dinner like for the U-602?
8. Why did Chatterton take a sledgehammer into the electric motor room?
9. In a phone call several months after Chatterton sent out inquiries about the knife, what did a U-boat enthusiast tell Chatteron?
10. What was the SS Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the problems between Chatterton and Kohler and how they resolved them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two men in Chatterton's life when he was a boy: his father and his grandfather.
Essay Topic 3
After finding the wrecked sub, the divers swear to keep the wreck a secret. Discuss why the divers decided to keep the wreck secret.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)