|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the village where Severian works as an executioner at the beginning of Part 2?
2. What makes the things that attack Severian in the cave finally run in fear?
3. Where is Severian supposed to find Dorcas at the House of Absolute?
4. Who has a part in a play ready for Severian when they meet in the garden at the House of Absolute?
5. Who does Severian hear as he walks toward the garden at the House of Absolute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Severian sad when he sees Agia and the archers after leaving the caves?
2. What does Severian remind Vodalus of when he and Jonas are brought before Vodalus?
3. What happens to Jolenta after she dies?
4. Why does Barnoch look half dead when Severian first sees him?
5. What reason does the green man give Severian for his being green?
6. Why does Jonas leave Severian and Agia alone while he goes to get the horses?
7. In Thecla's letter to Severian, how does she say she escaped?
8. Why were Vodalus' men sent to get Severian?
9. What do Dr. Talos and Baldanders plan to do when they leave the group toward the end of the book?
10. What does the green man tell Severian about Agia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is there so much fear in Shadow & Claw? What purpose does fear felt by the characters serve? In what ways does fear drive the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jonas say that he and Severian are monsters? What does he mean by this? Does the author intend for the reader to think of either character as a monster? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author build a sense of mystery in Shadow & Claw? What purpose does the element of mystery serve? Provide specific examples of mysterious events or statements to support your ideas.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)