|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose thoughts overtake Severian while he sleeps in the prison at the House of Absolute?
2. Where does the green man say Agia is?
3. When Thea meets with Severian, what information does Severian give Thea?
4. The liquid in the bottle is made from an animal that eats what?
5. What does one of the men who captured Severian and Jonas accidentally kill himself with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jolenta after she dies?
2. What prompts Severian to leave the cave where he was attacked by beasts?
3. Why were Vodalus' men sent to get Severian?
4. Why is Severian unable to kill Agia?
5. In Thecla's letter to Severian, how does she say she escaped?
6. When Severian finds Dr. Talos and the others in the garden at the House of Absolute, what is Dr. Talos doing?
7. What do the beasts Severian encounters in the cave look like?
8. Why does Severian stop to look for his missing sword before he leaves the cave where the beasts attacked him?
9. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
10. Why does Barnoch look half dead when Severian first sees him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are certain events within the book that draw the reader to make some correlation between Shadow & Claw and the Christian Bible. Identify at least three aspects of the book that can be compared to the Bible and explain each of them. Describe the aspects and Biblical references. Are the similarities intentional? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Severian as the protagonist of Shadow & Claw. How does he fit the role of protagonist? Does a torturer and executioner seem a likely hero? Why or why not? Is the character of Severian believable as a man of honor?
Essay Topic 3
Describe compassion as a motif of Shadow & Claw. In what instances do we see compassion in the novel? Who shows compassion? Does compassion seem to be a strange motif given the nature of Severian's profession? Did the author chose to make Severian a compassionate man?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)