|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Severian and Jolenta go to make love?
2. Dr. Talos uses a book for his final play. What is this book?
3. What does the green man say has been integrated into his blood?
4. When Part 2 begins, who is Severian's assistant?
5. Where does the green man say Agia is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Vodalus' men sent to get Severian?
2. What does Dorcas tell Severian about her memories when they are reunited in the garden?
3. What prompts Severian to leave the cave where he was attacked by beasts?
4. Why does Severian begin to feel sick while he is waiting for the feast to begin?
5. What do Dr. Talos and Baldanders plan to do when they leave the group toward the end of the book?
6. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
7. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
8. During the last play in the book, what happens that makes Severian think there will be a lot of trouble?
9. Why does Severian stop to look for his missing sword before he leaves the cave where the beasts attacked him?
10. What happens to Jolenta after she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author use past tense to tell this story? What purpose does it serve? Does it add to or detract from the story? Would the story work if told in any other tense?
Essay Topic 2
There are certain events within the book that draw the reader to make some correlation between Shadow & Claw and the Christian Bible. Identify at least three aspects of the book that can be compared to the Bible and explain each of them. Describe the aspects and Biblical references. Are the similarities intentional? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray women in Shadow & Claw? Does the way in which he describes female characters and the way the characters act show a respect for women or does it show disrespect? Do you think this feeling is that of the author or is it merely a reflection of Severian's character?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)