|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Severian and Jolenta go to make love?
2. While Dorcas and Severian are in the castle, who arrives?
3. What is the woman charged with whom Severian will execute?
4. What concern does Jonas have about himself after he is injured?
5. What do Dorcas and Severian find in the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dorcas tell Severian about her memories when they are reunited in the garden?
2. What does Severian remind Vodalus of when he and Jonas are brought before Vodalus?
3. What does the green man tell Severian about Agia?
4. What do the beasts Severian encounters in the cave look like?
5. What happens to Hildegrin while the witches are in a trance?
6. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
7. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
8. Why does Severian stop to look for his missing sword before he leaves the cave where the beasts attacked him?
9. What happens when Severian shows the Claw in the cave while the beasts are surrounding him?
10. What does Severian say about the magic fountain that leads the reader to believe it may have been correct about Severian's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author portray women in Shadow & Claw? Does the way in which he describes female characters and the way the characters act show a respect for women or does it show disrespect? Do you think this feeling is that of the author or is it merely a reflection of Severian's character?
Essay Topic 2
What does the graveyard scene at the beginning of the book foreshadow? How does the author use the scene to hint at events yet to come? Is this instance of foreshadowing effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What examples of symbolism are used in Shadow & Claw? Name at least three examples of symbolism and explain what each stands for.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)