|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Severian throw a coin into while in the House of Absolute?
2. Who slides a letter under the door while Severian and Jonas sit talking?
3. While Dorcas and Severian are in the castle, who arrives?
4. Where is the green man from?
5. What is taking place in the town where Severian is working as an executioner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Severian gain Thecla's memories and thoughts?
2. In Thecla's letter to Severian, how does she say she escaped?
3. Why is Severian unable to kill Agia?
4. During the last play in the book, what happens that makes Severian think there will be a lot of trouble?
5. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
6. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
7. What does the magic fountain show Severian when he throws a coin into it?
8. What reason does the green man give Severian for his being green?
9. What does Severian say about the magic fountain that leads the reader to believe it may have been correct about Severian's future?
10. What does Dorcas tell Severian about her memories when they are reunited in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jonas say that he and Severian are monsters? What does he mean by this? Does the author intend for the reader to think of either character as a monster? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is Vodalus' purpose for having Severian drink an elixir made from Thecla's body? Does he stand to gain something from this or is he trying to help Severian? What is the author's purpose for including this event in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are certain events within the book that draw the reader to make some correlation between Shadow & Claw and the Christian Bible. Identify at least three aspects of the book that can be compared to the Bible and explain each of them. Describe the aspects and Biblical references. Are the similarities intentional? Why or why not?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)