|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the men who captured Severian and Jonas accidentally kill himself with?
2. What reason does Severian give for understanding if the reader no longer wishes to travel with him at the end of the book?
3. Near the end of the book, who will be leaving with Dr. Talos?
4. What does Severian borrow from Jonas after reading the letter slid under the door?
5. What does Jonas want Severian to tell Jolenta for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Severian shows the Claw in the cave while the beasts are surrounding him?
2. What happens to Hildegrin while the witches are in a trance?
3. Why does Severian gain Thecla's memories and thoughts?
4. What does the magic fountain show Severian when he throws a coin into it?
5. What does the beautiful and frightening creature in the water tell Severian to try to get him to join her?
6. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
7. Following the feast, Severian and Jonas are captured by guards. Where are they taken?
8. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
9. What does Severian say about the magic fountain that leads the reader to believe it may have been correct about Severian's future?
10. During the last play in the book, what happens that makes Severian think there will be a lot of trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the future play in Shadow & Claw? What mentions of the future are there? How does Severian seem to feel about his future?
Essay Topic 2
What changes does Severian undergo from the beginning of Shadow & Claw to the end? What events facilitate his growth?
Essay Topic 3
What is Vodalus' purpose for having Severian drink an elixir made from Thecla's body? Does he stand to gain something from this or is he trying to help Severian? What is the author's purpose for including this event in the novel?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)