|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Severian's challenger claim after Severian is struck with the avern?
2. By what is Severian pulled from the water?
3. What is the water like that the boys swim in on the way back from the graveyard?
4. What kind of apprentices are Severian and the other boys?
5. What does Thecla know her sister will never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Severian and his challenger attack each other with the averns?
2. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
3. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
4. What reason does Master Palaemon give Severian that the guild is unable to punish or kill Severian for helping Thecla?
5. Why is it impossible for Master Malrubius to have been outside Severian's room after the feast?
6. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
7. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
8. As Severian prepares to leave the city following the execution of Agilus, what does he learn about the priestesses?
9. What does Severian keep from his friends about his near drowning in the river?
10. Why do Severian and the other boys sneak to the gate of the graveyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author portray women in Shadow & Claw? Does the way in which he describes female characters and the way the characters act show a respect for women or does it show disrespect? Do you think this feeling is that of the author or is it merely a reflection of Severian's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there so much fear in Shadow & Claw? What purpose does fear felt by the characters serve? In what ways does fear drive the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Jonas and Severian. Why doesn't Jonas tell Severian that he is part machine? What does their friendship show about Severian's sense of loyalty?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)