|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Agilus executed?
2. What does Severian steal from the kitchen?
3. What does Thecla ask the head of the guild for?
4. Who is Hildegrin?
5. By what is Severian pulled from the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to anything that touches the leaves of an avern?
2. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
3. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
4. As Severian prepares to leave the city following the execution of Agilus, what does he learn about the priestesses?
5. How do Severian and his challenger attack each other with the averns?
6. Why do Severian and the other boys sneak to the gate of the graveyard?
7. What is Dorcas unable to do when she is pulled from the river?
8. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
9. What reason does Master Palaemon give Severian that the guild is unable to punish or kill Severian for helping Thecla?
10. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What importance do character names have in a novel? Choose three character names from Shadow & Claw and discuss why the author might have chosen these names. What do the names mean and what feelings or images do they invoke?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jonas say that he and Severian are monsters? What does he mean by this? Does the author intend for the reader to think of either character as a monster? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Severian as the protagonist of Shadow & Claw. How does he fit the role of protagonist? Does a torturer and executioner seem a likely hero? Why or why not? Is the character of Severian believable as a man of honor?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)