|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorcas unable to remember?
2. Where do the boys intend to go when they leave the graveyard?
3. What is the name of the man in the shop Severian visits after breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders?
4. Master Gurloes requests that Severian assist him in what?
5. What does Severian's challenger claim after Severian is struck with the avern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Severian and the other apprentices see when they go to the graveyard?
2. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
3. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
4. How do Severian and his challenger attack each other with the averns?
5. What does Severian keep from his friends about his near drowning in the river?
6. What does Agia tell Severian he should do rather than dueling with the masked man?
7. What happens to Severian's wounds from the duel?
8. What happens to anything that touches the leaves of an avern?
9. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
10. Why do the priestesses at the holy building search Agia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Vodalus' purpose for having Severian drink an elixir made from Thecla's body? Does he stand to gain something from this or is he trying to help Severian? What is the author's purpose for including this event in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author use past tense to tell this story? What purpose does it serve? Does it add to or detract from the story? Would the story work if told in any other tense?
Essay Topic 3
Death is treated with much ceremony and dignity throughout Shadow & Claw. What does this treatment of death reveal about Severian? What does it reveal about the author's own thoughts on death?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)