|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Baldanders, Dr. Talos and Severian convince to sit with them for breakfast?
2. What frightens the driver of Severian's carriage on his way to find the avern?
3. What is the name of the man in the shop Severian visits after breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders?
4. What orders does Severian find on Master Gurloes' table?
5. What does the the priestess look at to determine if Severian is guilty of stealing the Claw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vodalus give Severian a gold coin?
2. How is Severian saved from drowning in the river as he and the other apprentices return home from the graveyard?
3. Why does Severian say he wants to be a torturer?
4. What reason does Master Palaemon give Severian that the guild is unable to punish or kill Severian for helping Thecla?
5. Why do the priestesses at the holy building search Agia?
6. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
7. What happened to the other men that Agilus and Agia had challenged in the same manner as Severian?
8. What does Thecla hope the Autarch will do?
9. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
10. What does Agia have Severian disguise himself as when they leave the shop to find the avern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What examples of symbolism are used in Shadow & Claw? Name at least three examples of symbolism and explain what each stands for.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the beautiful and frightening woman in the water thrust Severian from the water as a boy, but later invite him to join her in the water and be a king? Why didn't she simply take him with her when he was younger? Why does she want him to join her now?
Essay Topic 3
Death is treated with much ceremony and dignity throughout Shadow & Claw. What does this treatment of death reveal about Severian? What does it reveal about the author's own thoughts on death?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)