|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Severian in charge of for the people sent to the guild?
2. Who is Agia's brother?
3. What does a journeyman torturer wear as part of his uniform?
4. Following breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders, what catches Severian's attention outside of a shop?
5. After Thecla's death, what is missing from the room Severian is placed in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Severian realize is Thecla's sister?
2. As Severian prepares to leave the city following the execution of Agilus, what does he learn about the priestesses?
3. What vision do Severian and Dorcas see following the duel?
4. What happens to Severian's wounds from the duel?
5. Why is it impossible for Master Malrubius to have been outside Severian's room after the feast?
6. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
7. What happens to anything that touches the leaves of an avern?
8. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
9. According to Agilus, why did the masked man challenge Severian?
10. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is treated with much ceremony and dignity throughout Shadow & Claw. What does this treatment of death reveal about Severian? What does it reveal about the author's own thoughts on death?
Essay Topic 2
There are certain events within the book that draw the reader to make some correlation between Shadow & Claw and the Christian Bible. Identify at least three aspects of the book that can be compared to the Bible and explain each of them. Describe the aspects and Biblical references. Are the similarities intentional? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the beautiful and frightening woman in the water thrust Severian from the water as a boy, but later invite him to join her in the water and be a king? Why didn't she simply take him with her when he was younger? Why does she want him to join her now?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)