|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The liquid in the bottle is made from an animal that eats what?
(a) Dragon flesh.
(b) Dead human flesh.
2. What does Vodalus tell Severian to throw away?
(a) The Claw.
(b) His sword.
(c) The letter from Thecla.
(d) His executioner's axe.
3. What do the prisoners tell Severian and Jonas happens to the prisoners there?
(a) They are released within a few days.
(b) They never leave.
(c) They are swiftly executed.
(d) They are treated like kings.
4. What does Vodalus make Severian and Jonas swear?
(a) To leave the area and never return.
(b) They will not tell where he is hiding.
(c) An oath of loyalty.
(d) To never marry or have children.
5. Where does Severian find the others after the people at the final play are attacked?
(a) In prison.
(b) In a clearing in the woods.
(c) In the cave.
(d) In the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the things that attack Severian in the cave do when they see the Claw?
2. What does the letter say Thecla did?
3. What does Severian forget to bring with him when he goes to meet Thecla?
4. What does Severian tell Thea before he goes into the woods?
5. What does Severian throw a coin into while in the House of Absolute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Severian remind Vodalus of when he and Jonas are brought before Vodalus?
2. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
3. What does Severian say about the magic fountain that leads the reader to believe it may have been correct about Severian's future?
4. Why does Dorcas cry when Severian and Jolenta return from the rivers edge?
5. Why is Severian sad when he sees Agia and the archers after leaving the caves?
6. In Thecla's letter to Severian, how does she say she escaped?
7. Why is Severian unable to kill Agia?
8. Why does Severian stop to look for his missing sword before he leaves the cave where the beasts attacked him?
9. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
10. Why does Severian gain Thecla's memories and thoughts?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)