|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Severian place on the soldier's head that brings the soldier back to life?
(a) The animal elixir.
(b) The Claw.
(c) His hand.
(d) Dragon blood.
2. Who slides a letter under the door while Severian and Jonas sit talking?
(d) The green man.
3. What does Severian forget to bring with him when he goes to meet Thecla?
(a) The gemstone.
(b) A lantern.
(c) The Claw.
(d) His sword.
4. What does Severian throw a coin into while in the House of Absolute?
(a) A large vase in the entry hall.
(b) A beggar's can.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A bowl of water on the altar.
5. When Thea meets with Severian, what information does Severian give Thea?
(a) How to get to the guild.
(b) Vodalus' whereabouts.
(c) Where to find the Claw.
(d) What happened to her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a part in a play ready for Severian when they meet in the garden at the House of Absolute?
2. What is the woman charged with whom Severian will execute?
3. What does Severian find in the water near the end of the book?
4. What does Jonas hope to find by taking one of the portals?
5. How long have some of the families been in the prison in the House of Absolute?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Severian finds Dr. Talos and the others in the garden at the House of Absolute, what is Dr. Talos doing?
2. What does Dorcas tell Severian about her memories when they are reunited in the garden?
3. What do the witches in the castle assure Severian and Dorcas of concerning Jolenta?
4. What does the beautiful and frightening creature in the water tell Severian to try to get him to join her?
5. What happens to Hildegrin while the witches are in a trance?
6. In Thecla's letter to Severian, how does she say she escaped?
7. What does the green man tell Severian about Agia?
8. What does the magic fountain show Severian when he throws a coin into it?
9. How does Jonas hope to find a way to fix himself?
10. What prompts Severian to leave the cave where he was attacked by beasts?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)