|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Severian in charge of for the people sent to the guild?
(a) Their education.
(b) Their cells.
(c) Their meals.
(d) Assigning their punishments.
2. Who sent the people to the guild?
(a) The courts.
(b) Their families.
(c) The magicians.
(d) The priests.
3. At the execution, how does the odd man in the crowd attempt to communicate with Severian?
(a) In weird riddles.
(b) Using sign language.
(c) In Severian's native tongue.
(d) With notes written on parchment.
4. What is Dorcas unable to remember?
(a) Her child's name.
(b) Severian's name.
(c) Her name.
(d) Anything before she is dragged from the river.
5. What is Severian given by the man he saves?
(a) A book.
(b) An evil gemstone.
(c) A gold coin.
(d) A sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the play, Severian falls asleep and dreams of whom?
2. What does Severian name the dog?
3. Master Gurloes requests that Severian assist him in what?
4. What frightens the driver of Severian's carriage on his way to find the avern?
5. What will happen to Severian if he tries to leave the room he is placed in following Thecla's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thecla hope the Autarch will do?
2. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
3. Why isn't the guild able to pass judgement on the people who are sent there?
4. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
5. What vision do Severian and Dorcas see following the duel?
6. Why does the guild teach torturer apprentices to tend wounds?
7. How is Severian saved from drowning in the river as he and the other apprentices return home from the graveyard?
8. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
9. How do Severian and his challenger attack each other with the averns?
10. What does Severian keep from his friends about his near drowning in the river?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)