|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Severian buy from Agilus?
(a) A sword.
(b) A book.
(c) A gem.
(d) A cloak.
2. What do Severian and Dorcas decide to do with the gem?
(a) Sell it to the strange man.
(b) Return it to the altar.
(c) Take it to the master of the guild.
(d) Keep it and hide it.
3. What is the name of the man in the shop Severian visits after breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders?
4. At the execution, how does the odd man in the crowd attempt to communicate with Severian?
(a) With notes written on parchment.
(b) In weird riddles.
(c) In Severian's native tongue.
(d) Using sign language.
5. What does Thecla know her sister will never do?
(a) Save her.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Marry Severian.
(d) Betray Vodalus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thecla hope for while she is imprisoned?
2. Who takes Severian to find the avern?
3. Why does Severian say he will meet with Agilus before he executes him?
4. How does Severian travel across the river on his way to find the avern?
5. What does Master Gurloes ask Severian when he is summoned to the master's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Severian put on his torturer's mask before entering the arena to duel?
2. How does the machine that Thecla is strapped to make a person feel?
3. As Severian prepares to leave the city following the execution of Agilus, what does he learn about the priestesses?
4. What does Thecla hope the Autarch will do?
5. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
6. What happens to Severian's wounds from the duel?
7. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
8. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
9. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
10. What reason does Master Palaemon give Severian that the guild is unable to punish or kill Severian for helping Thecla?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)