|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Severian and Dorcas decide to do with the gem?
(a) Return it to the altar.
(b) Take it to the master of the guild.
(c) Sell it to the strange man.
(d) Keep it and hide it.
2. What does the masked man give Severian in the shop?
(a) A secret book.
(b) A small piece of metal.
(c) A smooth stone.
(d) A gem.
3. Who does Severian save in the cemetery?
4. What is Dorcas unable to remember?
(a) Her child's name.
(b) Severian's name.
(c) Her name.
(d) Anything before she is dragged from the river.
5. What gift does Severian receive before leaving the guild?
(a) A gem.
(b) A sword.
(c) A crossbow.
(d) A bag of gold coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Severian sent to fetch books from?
2. What does Thecla ask the head of the guild for?
3. What does Severian decide to do before completing his challenge?
4. What is the water like that the boys swim in on the way back from the graveyard?
5. Where do the boys hide when they hear a commotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
2. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
3. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
4. What happens to anything that touches the leaves of an avern?
5. According to Agilus, why did the masked man challenge Severian?
6. What do Severian and the other apprentices see when they go to the graveyard?
7. What is Dorcas unable to do when she is pulled from the river?
8. What does Agia tell Severian he should do rather than dueling with the masked man?
9. What happened to the other men that Agilus and Agia had challenged in the same manner as Severian?
10. What does Agia have Severian disguise himself as when they leave the shop to find the avern?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)