|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Severian gives Agilus instructions to prevent what at his execution?
(a) Being sick or relieving himself.
(c) A prolonged death.
(d) Angering the crowds.
2. How does the guild refer to the people who are sent there?
(d) Dead men walking.
3. What does Thecla hope for while she is imprisoned?
(a) Her sister will save her.
(b) Jonas will fall in love with her.
(c) Vodalus will give himself up.
(d) To be let go.
4. Who do Baldanders, Dr. Talos and Severian convince to sit with them for breakfast?
(a) A waitress.
5. What is Severian in charge of for the people sent to the guild?
(a) Their education.
(b) Their cells.
(c) Their meals.
(d) Assigning their punishments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose office is Severian taken to after Thecla's death?
2. What is the water like that the boys swim in on the way back from the graveyard?
3. Where is Severian sent as punishment?
4. Who does Severian sleep with before Agilus' execution?
5. Dorcas leaves the room after finding Agia trying to seduce Severian. What does Severian find?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
2. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
3. Why does Severian put on his torturer's mask before entering the arena to duel?
4. Why does the guild teach torturer apprentices to tend wounds?
5. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
6. What does Agia have Severian disguise himself as when they leave the shop to find the avern?
7. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
8. What happened to the other men that Agilus and Agia had challenged in the same manner as Severian?
9. What does Severian keep from his friends about his near drowning in the river?
10. What does Severian do for Thecla that breaks a rule of the guild?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)