|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the water like that the boys swim in on the way back from the graveyard?
(a) Very warm and bubbly.
(d) Clear green and full of algae.
2. After the play, Severian falls asleep and dreams of whom?
(a) The waitress.
(b) Master Gurloes.
(c) Master Malrubius and Triskele.
3. Who is naked and crying for Agilus in the prison?
4. When Severian and Dorcas come upon Dr. Talos and Baldanders performing a play, how does Dr. Talos introduce them to the crowd?
(a) Love and Anger have arrived.
(b) Death and Innocence have arrived.
(c) Our dear friends Dorcas and Severian.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Death.
5. What is the guild unable to pass on its own?
(a) The gates of the city.
(b) Safety tests.
(c) New laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a journeyman torturer wear as part of his uniform?
2. Who is the lover of Thecla's sister?
3. What does Thecla ask the head of the guild for?
4. What is an avern?
5. What frightens the driver of Severian's carriage on his way to find the avern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the machine that Thecla is strapped to make a person feel?
2. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
3. What does Thecla hope the Autarch will do?
4. What do Severian and the other apprentices see when they go to the graveyard?
5. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
6. Why is it impossible for Master Malrubius to have been outside Severian's room after the feast?
7. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
8. What reason does Master Palaemon give Severian that the guild is unable to punish or kill Severian for helping Thecla?
9. What does Severian do for Thecla that breaks a rule of the guild?
10. Who does Severian realize is Thecla's sister?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)