|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Severian sent to fetch books from?
(a) The library.
(b) The school master.
(c) The secret mausoleum.
(d) The guild office.
2. At the beginning of the story Severian tells about his adventure as a boy. Where are Severian and the other boys?
(a) Hiding in a mausoleum.
(b) Near the river.
(c) At the school.
(d) At the gate of the cemetery.
3. After the play, Severian falls asleep and dreams of whom?
(b) Master Malrubius and Triskele.
(c) Master Gurloes.
(d) The waitress.
4. What does Severian realize about Dorcas after he executes Agilus?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She is his mother.
5. What does Severian's challenger claim after Severian is struck with the avern?
(a) Severian's possessions.
(b) Severian's first born child.
(c) Severian's position in the guild.
(d) That it was an accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to Severian if he tries to leave the room he is placed in following Thecla's death?
2. What does Severian find in his satchel following Agilus' execution?
3. What is the guild unable to pass on its own?
4. How does Severian travel across the river on his way to find the avern?
5. Master Gurloes requests that Severian assist him in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the guild teach torturer apprentices to tend wounds?
2. What happened to the other men that Agilus and Agia had challenged in the same manner as Severian?
3. Why does Severian say he wants to be a torturer?
4. Why does Master Gurloes ask Severian if he wants to be a torturer?
5. What do Severian and the other apprentices see when they go to the graveyard?
6. What happens to anything that touches the leaves of an avern?
7. According to Agilus, why did the masked man challenge Severian?
8. What does Severian realize about the ferryman who carries him and Agia across the river to get the avern?
9. Why do Severian and the other boys sneak to the gate of the graveyard?
10. How do Severian and his challenger attack each other with the averns?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)