|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Severian steal from the kitchen?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) A knife.
(d) An axe.
2. Who is Hildegrin?
(a) Drotte's brother.
(b) The man who challenged Severian.
(c) Severian's father.
(d) The ferryman.
3. When Severian, Dorcas and Agia are returning from gathering the avern, where do they stop to eat?
(a) A marked spot in the woods.
(b) The inn.
(c) The guild.
(d) Agia's house.
4. Whose office is Severian taken to after Thecla's death?
(a) His own.
(b) The Autarch's.
(c) Master Gurloes'.
(d) Master Palaemon's.
5. What is the guild forbidden to have in regards to the people sent there?
(d) Nice rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thecla ask the head of the guild for?
2. What does the masked man give Severian in the shop?
3. What does Severian realize about Dorcas after he executes Agilus?
4. Who explains to Severian that the masked man has issued a challenge?
5. What frightens the driver of Severian's carriage on his way to find the avern?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
2. Why does Severian say he wants to be a torturer?
3. What vision do Severian and Dorcas see following the duel?
4. What does Agia tell Severian he should do rather than dueling with the masked man?
5. What does Agia have Severian disguise himself as when they leave the shop to find the avern?
6. How does the machine that Thecla is strapped to make a person feel?
7. What is Dorcas unable to do when she is pulled from the river?
8. Who does Severian realize is Thecla's sister?
9. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
10. Why do the priestesses at the holy building search Agia?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)