|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Severian decide to do before completing his challenge?
(a) Give his sword to Agilus.
(b) Nap for strength.
2. Where do the boys hide when they hear a commotion?
(a) Behind thick bushes.
(b) Behind the tombstones.
(c) Inside an empty grave.
(d) In a tree.
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 7, who tells Severian to take the books to the end cell?
4. Who is Hildegrin?
(a) Drotte's brother.
(b) The man who challenged Severian.
(c) The ferryman.
(d) Severian's father.
5. How does the guild celebrate Severian becoming a journeyman torturer?
(a) With a feast.
(b) By giving him many gifts, including gold.
(c) They do not celebrate.
(d) With an elaborate graduation ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the execution, how does the odd man in the crowd attempt to communicate with Severian?
2. Severian gives Agilus instructions to prevent what at his execution?
3. Who is Severian's challenger?
4. What does Severian find in his satchel following Agilus' execution?
5. How many men do Severian and the boys see in the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Severian prepares to leave the city following the execution of Agilus, what does he learn about the priestesses?
2. What does Thecla hope the Autarch will do?
3. Why does Severian refuse to take Agia's advice about the duel with the masked man?
4. When will the duel occur and why must it occur at that time?
5. Who does Severian realize is Thecla's sister?
6. What does Severian keep from his friends about his near drowning in the river?
7. What happens to Severian's wounds from the duel?
8. In Chapter 25, why does the innkeeper make Severian pay for his meal upfront?
9. Why does Severian hide the coin he receives from Vodalus?
10. How is Severian saved from drowning in the river as he and the other apprentices return home from the graveyard?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)