|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonas hope to find by taking one of the portals?
(a) A way to fix himself.
(b) Wealth and happiness.
(c) His family.
2. What is the woman charged with whom Severian will execute?
(a) Consorting with Vodalus.
(b) Killing her son and husband.
(c) Stealing coins from the church.
(d) Killing a priest.
3. The liquid in the bottle is made from an animal that eats what?
(b) Dragon flesh.
(c) Dead human flesh.
4. What is Severian's reaction when he realizes why the body was stolen from the graveyard?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He becomes sick.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He can't wait to drink the liquid.
5. What does Severian lose during his struggle in the cave?
(a) The Claw.
(b) His lantern.
(c) The letter from Thecla.
(d) His sword.
6. What does Severian realize about the prison in the House of Absolute when he wakes up?
(a) He will never leave it.
(b) There is a secret passage.
(c) The prison is a figment of his imagination.
(d) The cell door was never locked.
7. Who has a part in a play ready for Severian when they meet in the garden at the House of Absolute?
(d) Dr. Talos.
8. Why doesn't Dr. Talos want the crowd at the final play in the book to be frightened away?
(a) They won't come back to another play.
(b) They might get angry.
(c) He is afraid they will be arrested.
(d) They are wealthy.
9. What do the things that attack Severian in the cave do when they see the Claw?
(a) Run away.
(b) Bow down.
(c) Become more aggressive.
10. Who is Barnach?
(a) A fellow executioner.
(b) A servant of Vodalus.
(c) Severian's assistant.
(d) A priest.
11. What are Severian and Jonas given when they leave Vodalus' camp?
(a) A map.
(b) A bottle of animal elixir.
(c) A bag of money.
(d) Two horses.
12. In the House of Absolute, what turns out to be portals to other dimensions?
(a) The windows.
(b) The mirrors.
(c) The prison cells.
(d) Paintings in the hallway.
13. Who goes mad and attacks people during the Dr. Talos' final play?
(d) Dr. Talos.
14. What does Severian find in the water near the end of the book?
(a) A beautiful and frightening creature.
(b) A letter from Dorcas.
(c) An emerald.
(d) An ancient sword.
15. Where does Severian find the others after the people at the final play are attacked?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In a clearing in the woods.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas want Severian to tell Jolenta for him?
2. When Severian tries to treat Jonas' wound, what does he discover about Jonas?
3. What do Dorcas and Severian find in the castle?
4. What concern does Jonas have about himself after he is injured?
5. Near the end of the book, whose screams cause Severian to turn away from the water and run back to the camp?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)