|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who slides a letter under the door while Severian and Jonas sit talking?
(b) The green man.
2. Why do Severian and Dorcas have to carry Jolenta after the last play?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) Dr. Talos beat her.
(c) She broke her ankle while running from the play.
(d) She is fast asleep.
3. During the final play in the book, who is supposed to scare the crowds?
(b) Dr. Talos.
(d) The green man.
4. Who has a part in a play ready for Severian when they meet in the garden at the House of Absolute?
(a) Dr. Talos.
5. Who is Barnach?
(a) Severian's assistant.
(b) A servant of Vodalus.
(c) A priest.
(d) A fellow executioner.
6. Why can't the green man go home?
(a) He doesn't know how to get there.
(b) He is crippled.
(c) He is chained.
(d) His planet has been destroyed.
7. What do the green man's cells feed on?
(b) Each other.
(c) The sun's rays.
(d) The thoughts of others.
8. When does Jonas capture the beast that killed the soldier?
(a) While it is feeding.
(b) The following morning.
(c) While it is sleeping.
(d) While it is feeding its young.
9. What does Severian forget to bring with him when he goes to meet Thecla?
(a) A lantern.
(b) The gemstone.
(c) His sword.
(d) The Claw.
10. In the House of Absolute, what turns out to be portals to other dimensions?
(a) The mirrors.
(b) The prison cells.
(c) The windows.
(d) Paintings in the hallway.
11. How long have some of the families been in the prison in the House of Absolute?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) A year.
(c) Seven generations.
(d) Two generations.
12. What does the letter say Thecla did?
(a) Faked her death.
(b) Married the master of the guild.
(c) Killed the green man.
(d) Murdered Vodalus.
13. What is Severian's reaction when he realizes why the body was stolen from the graveyard?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He becomes sick.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He can't wait to drink the liquid.
14. Why doesn't Dr. Talos want the crowd at the final play in the book to be frightened away?
(a) They might get angry.
(b) He is afraid they will be arrested.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They won't come back to another play.
15. What is taking place in the town where Severian is working as an executioner?
(a) A serious uprising.
(b) A religious ceremony.
(c) A triple beheading and a festival.
(d) The crowning of a new king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vodalus tell Severian he can find Dorcas?
2. Where did Severian get the book that he reads to Jonas?
3. What does Severian realize about the prison in the House of Absolute when he wakes up?
4. What does one of the men who captured Severian and Jonas accidentally kill himself with?
5. What does Severian lose during his struggle in the cave?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)