|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Severian buy from Agilus?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A gem.
(c) A sword.
(d) A book.
2. What does Thecla give Severian?
(a) Gold coins.
3. Who attacks the men in the graveyard?
(b) A woman.
(c) A mysterious vagabond.
(d) The boys.
4. When a new woman is brought to the guild, to which cell is she assigned?
(a) As far from Thecla's cell as possible.
(b) Next to Thecla's.
(c) Near Severian's rooms.
(d) The same cell as Thecla.
5. How does Severian travel across the river on his way to find the avern?
(a) On a large serpent.
(b) By ferry.
(c) He swims.
(d) On horseback.
6. Where do the boys intend to go when they leave the graveyard?
(a) The guild.
(b) Severian's house.
(c) The teacher's house.
(d) Vodalus' lair.
7. At the execution, how does the odd man in the crowd attempt to communicate with Severian?
(a) In Severian's native tongue.
(b) In weird riddles.
(c) Using sign language.
(d) With notes written on parchment.
8. Who is Severian's challenger?
9. What does Severian name the dog?
10. What does Master Gurloes ask Severian when he is summoned to the master's office?
(a) If he wants to be the master of the guild.
(b) What Thecla has told him.
(c) If he wants to be a torturer.
(d) For information about Drotte.
11. What will Severian's new position be following Thecla's death?
(a) Guild Master.
(c) Master Torturer.
(d) He will no longer have a position.
12. What does Thecla know her sister will never do?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Save her.
(c) Marry Severian.
(d) Betray Vodalus.
13. Who is Hildegrin?
(a) The ferryman.
(b) Drotte's brother.
(c) Severian's father.
(d) The man who challenged Severian.
14. Who or what throws Severian toward the surface of the water after he caught by something?
(a) A woman.
(c) A huge serpent.
(d) His friends.
15. Who sent the people to the guild?
(a) The courts.
(b) Their families.
(c) The priests.
(d) The magicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guild unable to pass on its own?
2. How does the guild celebrate Severian becoming a journeyman torturer?
3. Where is Severian sent to fetch books from?
4. How is Thecla treated during her imprisonment?
5. Who does Severian think he hears outside his door just after he has become a journeyman torturer?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)