|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the execution, how does the odd man in the crowd attempt to communicate with Severian?
(a) In weird riddles.
(b) With notes written on parchment.
(c) Using sign language.
(d) In Severian's native tongue.
2. What does the masked man give Severian in the shop?
(a) A gem.
(b) A small piece of metal.
(c) A smooth stone.
(d) A secret book.
3. Who does Severian save in the cemetery?
4. What is an avern?
(a) A poisonous plant.
(b) A giant bird.
(c) An ape-like dog.
(d) A magical gemstone.
5. What happens to Severian in the water when he tries to free himself?
(a) He pulls free easily.
(b) He starts to drown.
(c) He is captured by guards.
(d) His friends help him out.
6. What is Dorcas unable to remember?
(a) Her name.
(b) Anything before she is dragged from the river.
(c) Severian's name.
(d) Her child's name.
7. What is the name of the man in the shop Severian visits after breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders?
8. How does the guild refer to the people who are sent there?
(b) Dead men walking.
9. Whose office is Severian taken to after Thecla's death?
(a) The Autarch's.
(b) Master Palaemon's.
(c) Master Gurloes'.
(d) His own.
10. Who is Severian's challenger?
11. Where do the boys hide when they hear a commotion?
(a) Behind thick bushes.
(b) Inside an empty grave.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Behind the tombstones.
12. What does Thecla ask the head of the guild for?
(a) A pen and paper.
(b) A knife.
(c) An elaborate meal with wine.
(d) Someone to come and sit with her.
13. How does the guild celebrate Severian becoming a journeyman torturer?
(a) They do not celebrate.
(b) With a feast.
(c) By giving him many gifts, including gold.
(d) With an elaborate graduation ceremony.
14. What do Severian and Dorcas decide to do with the gem?
(a) Keep it and hide it.
(b) Return it to the altar.
(c) Sell it to the strange man.
(d) Take it to the master of the guild.
15. What does a journeyman torturer wear as part of his uniform?
(a) A feathered mask.
(b) A bone mask and black cloak.
(c) A badge.
(d) A red cloak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Severian believes that going over the process of the execution with Agilus will help give him what?
2. Where is Severian sent to fetch books from?
3. Who is the lover of Thecla's sister?
4. After Severian falls into the water on the way to get the avern, what is dragged out of the water with him?
5. What does Thecla hope for while she is imprisoned?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)