|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Severian sent to fetch books from?
(a) The library.
(b) The secret mausoleum.
(c) The school master.
(d) The guild office.
2. What do Severian and Dorcas decide to do with the gem?
(a) Keep it and hide it.
(b) Return it to the altar.
(c) Sell it to the strange man.
(d) Take it to the master of the guild.
3. Why is Agilus arrested after Severian battles his challenger?
(a) He lied about his identity.
(b) He stole Severian's sword.
(c) He killed several people in the crowd.
(d) He cheated.
4. What gift does Severian receive before leaving the guild?
(a) A crossbow.
(b) A sword.
(c) A bag of gold coins.
(d) A gem.
5. After Thecla's death, what is missing from the room Severian is placed in?
(a) A door.
6. What is Severian in charge of for the people sent to the guild?
(a) Assigning their punishments.
(b) Their meals.
(c) Their education.
(d) Their cells.
7. What is an avern?
(a) A giant bird.
(b) An ape-like dog.
(c) A magical gemstone.
(d) A poisonous plant.
8. Where do the boys intend to go when they leave the graveyard?
(a) The guild.
(b) Severian's house.
(c) The teacher's house.
(d) Vodalus' lair.
9. What do people ask Severian to put on their handkerchiefs on the day of Agilus' execution?
(a) Dirt from the execution site.
(b) His initials.
(c) A blessing.
10. What is in the river that Severian crosses on his way to the avern?
(a) Sea serpents.
(b) Strange green mermaids.
(c) Many sparkling diamonds.
(d) Dead people.
11. Who or what throws Severian toward the surface of the water after he caught by something?
(a) A huge serpent.
(b) A woman.
(c) His friends.
12. Dorcas leaves the room after finding Agia trying to seduce Severian. What does Severian find?
(a) A glowing stone.
(b) A necklace.
(c) The Claw.
(d) A note.
13. Master Gurloes requests that Severian assist him in what?
(a) Catching Vodalus.
(b) Teaching the apprentices.
(c) Choosing punishments.
(d) Thecla's punishment.
14. What will happen to Severian if he tries to leave the room he is placed in following Thecla's death?
(a) He will be killed.
(b) He will be imprisoned for life.
(c) He will be blinded.
15. What is the guild unable to pass on its own?
(a) New laws.
(c) Safety tests.
(d) The gates of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Severian find in his satchel following Agilus' execution?
2. What is the name of the man in the shop Severian visits after breakfast with Dr. Talos and Baldanders?
3. Who does Severian sleep with before Agilus' execution?
4. Who is Agia's brother?
5. Who is Severian's challenger?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)