|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is hoping that Vodalus can be captured by holding and torturing Thecla?
(a) The Autarch.
(d) Master Gurloes.
2. What is Severian given by the man he saves?
(a) A book.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) An evil gemstone.
(d) A sword.
3. How is Thecla treated during her imprisonment?
(a) With special consideration.
(b) She is kept in the dark with no water.
(c) She is isolated from all contact.
(d) She is beaten and tortured frequently.
4. Master Gurloes requests that Severian assist him in what?
(a) Catching Vodalus.
(b) Teaching the apprentices.
(c) Choosing punishments.
(d) Thecla's punishment.
5. What has Severian been challenged to do by the masked man?
(a) Tell Agilus he is an executioner.
(b) Duel to the death.
(c) Compete in a battle of wits.
(d) Hunt a special creature in the woods.
6. What has happened to the dog that Severian finds?
(a) It is lost.
(b) It has been shot.
(c) It has been tortured.
(d) It has been dyed a different color.
7. What is the water like that the boys swim in on the way back from the graveyard?
(b) Very warm and bubbly.
(d) Clear green and full of algae.
8. What does Master Gurloes ask Severian when he is summoned to the master's office?
(a) For information about Drotte.
(b) If he wants to be a torturer.
(c) What Thecla has told him.
(d) If he wants to be the master of the guild.
9. What does Severian buy from Agilus?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A sword.
(c) A book.
(d) A gem.
10. Who or what throws Severian toward the surface of the water after he caught by something?
(a) A huge serpent.
(c) A woman.
(d) His friends.
11. What does Severian hear as he executes Agilus?
(a) Agia screaming.
(b) A strange man yelling.
(c) An eagle's cry.
(d) Pure silence.
12. Who takes Severian to find the avern?
(d) Dr. Talos.
13. What frightens the driver of Severian's carriage on his way to find the avern?
(a) Severian's mask.
(b) Severian's sword.
(c) The gemstone.
(d) Severian's eyes.
14. What does Severian decide to do before completing his challenge?
(b) Give his sword to Agilus.
(c) Nap for strength.
15. What does Severian's challenger claim after Severian is struck with the avern?
(a) Severian's position in the guild.
(b) Severian's possessions.
(c) That it was an accident.
(d) Severian's first born child.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the play, Severian falls asleep and dreams of whom?
2. What is in the river that Severian crosses on his way to the avern?
3. By what is Severian pulled from the water?
4. How does Severian travel across the river on his way to find the avern?
5. What does the masked man give Severian in the shop?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)