|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Wing Commander at Yazman?
2. What color are the guards' turbans at the Wing Commanders?
3. What do Mama and Auntie collect to help make Grandfather's grave?
4. What does Shabanu think is Murad's defining feature?
5. What does Dadi tell Shabanu to use as a guide when she leaves with all the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharma tell Dadi about the marriage arrangements for Shabanu?
2. How does Shabanu save Phulan from Nazir?
3. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
4. Why does Shabanu worry about Phulan's future as the wife of a farmer?
5. What happens after Shabanu gets the women safely away from Mehrabpur?
6. Why will Bibi Lal likely be a good mother-in-law to Phulan?
7. What happens when Nazir and his hunting party see Shabanu returning from getting water?
8. What advice does Sharma give to Phulan before the wedding?
9. How does Shabanu meet Rahim-sahib for the first time?
10. How does Shabanu react to the new fate she has been given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subtitle of the novel: Daughter of the Wind. Is this an appropriate subtitle? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)