|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hamir and Murad's older brother who was killed?
2. What does Shabanu pray for at the shrine of Channan Pil?
3. Dadi turns the young man that they find in the sand toward _________.
4. What does Shabanu throw at the men in the hunting party in order to save Phulan?
5. What color dress does Shabanu wear to Phulan's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dadi and Shabanu go out searching for Grandfather during the storm?
2. What does Sharma tell Dadi about the marriage arrangements for Shabanu?
3. What advice does Sharma give to Phulan before the wedding?
4. What happens during Phulan's wedding ceremony?
5. How does Shabanu save Phulan from Nazir?
6. What is the legend of the thirsty dead?
7. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
8. Why will Bibi Lal likely be a good mother-in-law to Phulan?
9. What do they discover when they go outside the hut after the sand storm?
10. What happens when Shabanu and Phulan are sent ahead of the family on their journey to the fort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
Essay Topic 2
Is Shabanu worthy of the origin of her name: a princess? Discuss the character of Shabanu and how she changed and matured by the end of the novel. Did she have a regal spirit and was her spirit broken by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)