|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamir give to Phulan as a wedding gift?
2. Phulan and Shabanu search for what plant in the desert that holds water?
3. Rahim-sahib is in his ____________.
4. What is the name of Hamir and Murad's older brother who was killed?
5. Who does Shabanu look for first when the sand storm begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shabanu meet Rahim-sahib for the first time?
2. What becomes of the house where Hamir is buried?
3. How does Shabanu react to the new fate she has been given?
4. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
5. What happens during Phulan's wedding ceremony?
6. How does Auntie act during the pilgrimage to Channan Pir?
7. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
8. Why does Shabanu worry about Phulan's future as the wife of a farmer?
9. What happens when Shabanu and Phulan are sent ahead of the family on their journey to the fort?
10. Why will Bibi Lal likely be a good mother-in-law to Phulan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
Essay Topic 3
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)