|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The midwife who helps Auntie during her miscarriage is the sister of ___________.
2. How long until the monsoons come after the sand storm?
3. Dadi tells Shabanu that Rahim-sahib has paid a fair price for such a ___________ girl.
4. While the men decide the fate of Shabanu's family, who is she afraid Phulan will have to marry?
5. What word does Shabanu use to describe Hamir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Bibi Lal likely be a good mother-in-law to Phulan?
2. What happens when Dadi and Shabanu go out searching for Grandfather during the storm?
3. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
4. How does Shabanu meet Rahim-sahib for the first time?
5. What happens after Shabanu gets the women safely away from Mehrabpur?
6. How does Auntie act during the pilgrimage to Channan Pir?
7. What becomes of the house where Hamir is buried?
8. Was Mama right to mistrust the message brought to them by Spin Gul from the other Ranger post?
9. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
10. How does Shabanu react to the new fate she has been given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Shabanu worthy of the origin of her name: a princess? Discuss the character of Shabanu and how she changed and matured by the end of the novel. Did she have a regal spirit and was her spirit broken by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the following: the desert storm, monsoons, and dry seasons.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)