|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phulan's name mean?
2. Who is taking care of Mithoo while Shabanu is on the journey?
3. What does Shabanu feel Guluband has taken with him?
4. What is the name of the place Dadi and Shabanu will travel to sell their camels?
5. What does the man who bought Guluband bring to the celebration at Shabanu's camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
2. How does Shabanu show more concern for the camels than for obeying her father?
3. How does Auntie act during the pilgrimage to Channan Pir?
4. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
5. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
6. How do the rains dictate the life of Shabanu's family?
7. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
8. What do the men decide should happen to Phulan and Shabanu?
9. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
10. Why will Bibi Lal likely be a good mother-in-law to Phulan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of women's worth, both in terms of the setting of the novel and universally.
Essay Topic 2
What does the character Sharma represent in the story? What advice does she give Shabanu, and what role does that advice play in the choices Shabanu makes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)