Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shabanu keep the spending money Dadi gives her for the fair?
2. What does Shabanu use to keep the scorpions away from their bedrolls?
3. What tribe does Dadi consider to be dangerous and unpredictable on the journey to the fair?
4. What are the men sitting around the fire doing?
5. How many baby camels are there when Dadi and Shabanu return home from their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
2. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
3. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
4. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
5. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
6. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
9. What is the legend of the thirsty dead?
10. How does Shabanu break with tradition on Grandfather's behalf?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
Essay Topic 2
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)