|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama thinks Shabanu needs to learn how to _________for her future.
2. What does Auntie give Shabanu before her journey with Dadi?
3. How many days will the camels have to go without water on the journey to the fair?
4. What tribe does Dadi consider to be dangerous and unpredictable on the journey to the fair?
5. What does Shabanu use to keep the scorpions away from their bedrolls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
2. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
3. How does Shabanu show more concern for the camels than for obeying her father?
4. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
5. What is the family's reaction when the see what Dadi has bought for Phulan's dowry and for gifts?
6. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
7. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
8. What does delivering the baby camel cause Shabanu to think about?
9. What kind of attention does Shabanu's herd of camels get at the Sibi fair?
10. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
Essay Topic 2
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is Shabanu worthy of the origin of her name: a princess? Discuss the character of Shabanu and how she changed and matured by the end of the novel. Did she have a regal spirit and was her spirit broken by the end of the story?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)