|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taking care of Mithoo while Shabanu is on the journey?
2. How many camels do Dadi and Shabanu have to return home with?
3. In chapter 1, Mama assures Shabanu that she and Phulan are better than _______.
4. At the fair, what are the men measuring on scales?
5. Where do Dadi and Shabanu camp the first night of their journey to sell the camels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
2. What does delivering the baby camel cause Shabanu to think about?
3. What do they do to prepare the camels to be sold in Sibi?
4. What is the family's reaction when the see what Dadi has bought for Phulan's dowry and for gifts?
5. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
6. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
7. What is the Gudu Barrage?
8. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
9. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
10. What does Shabanu encounter when she hears a camel in distress while tending the herd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figurative language and imagery used throughout the novel. How effectively is the Pakistani language of the desert woven into the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The news often carries images of Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries. Compare and contrast those images with the setting portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)