|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shabanu says that as they leave the fair she feels as empty as ___________.
2. What does Dadi give Shabanu as a gift along their journey?
3. How long ago did the Hakra River dry up?
4. How old is Shabanu as the book begins?
5. As they travel, what do the Bedford trucks and buses look like to Shabanu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shabanu feel about her gift from Auntie?
2. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
3. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
4. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
5. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
6. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
7. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
8. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
9. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
10. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the many cultural elements of the Pakistani nomads that have essential practical uses as well as deep cultural meaning. Begin the discussion with the chadr and include at least two other elements.
Essay Topic 3
How is Shabanu's life defined more by her losses than anything she has gained? What loss in particular has had the most transformational power in her life?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)