|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phulan get tangled in as she tried to escape the charging camel?
2. What color is Kalu?
3. What are the buckets Shabanu uses to haul water made from?
4. What is the name of the Muslim feast where camels and goats are sacrificed?
5. What does Dadi accuse the herder of during their negations over the camels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
2. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
3. How does Shabanu show more concern for the camels than for obeying her father?
4. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
5. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
6. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
7. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
8. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
9. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
10. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the many cultural elements of the Pakistani nomads that have essential practical uses as well as deep cultural meaning. Begin the discussion with the chadr and include at least two other elements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
Essay Topic 3
The news often carries images of Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries. Compare and contrast those images with the setting portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)