|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the covering Phulan must wear now that she is betrothed?
2. How much is it rumored that the Afghan mujahideen are paying for good camels?
3. What does the man who bought Guluband bring to the celebration at Shabanu's camp?
4. What is the name of the leader of the group of men who are waiting to speak to Dadi after the carnival?
5. What are the men sitting around the fire doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
2. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
3. What is a nose peg?
4. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
5. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
6. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
7. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
8. How does Shabanu show more concern for the camels than for obeying her father?
9. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
10. What is the Gudu Barrage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the many cultural elements of the Pakistani nomads that have essential practical uses as well as deep cultural meaning. Begin the discussion with the chadr and include at least two other elements.
Essay Topic 3
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)