|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the fair, what are the men measuring on scales?
2. Who does Dadi sell Guluband to?
3. What are the buckets Shabanu uses to haul water made from?
4. What is the reaction from Phulan, Mama, and Auntie when Dadi shows them all the things he bought for Phulan's dowry?
5. What is needed to sell camels for a good price to the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
2. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
3. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
4. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
5. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
6. Describe the scene when Wardak returns to buy Guluband.
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What does delivering the baby camel cause Shabanu to think about?
9. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
10. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of women's worth, both in terms of the setting of the novel and universally.
Essay Topic 2
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)