|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning from the fair, the family has enough water to last _____.
2. At the fair, what are the men measuring on scales?
3. What is the toba?
4. What clothing marks the Marris tribe from other groups?
5. Shabanu thinks about Murad in chapter 3 and remembers she likes him because he what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rains dictate the life of Shabanu's family?
2. What is the family's reaction when the see what Dadi has bought for Phulan's dowry and for gifts?
3. What does Shabanu encounter when she hears a camel in distress while tending the herd?
4. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
5. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
6. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
7. What is a nose peg?
8. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
9. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
10. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subtitle of the novel: Daughter of the Wind. Is this an appropriate subtitle? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Shabanu's love for the animals represent both her freedom and her undoing?
Essay Topic 3
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)