|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the skirt Mama makes for Shabanu before she sets out on her journey with Dadi?
2. What does Dadi give Shabanu as a gift along their journey?
3. How does Shabanu's new dress for her journey with Dadi make her feel?
4. What is the name of the leader of the group of men who are waiting to speak to Dadi after the carnival?
5. How much is it rumored that the Afghan mujahideen are paying for good camels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
2. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
3. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
4. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
5. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
6. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
7. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
8. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
9. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
10. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subtitle of the novel: Daughter of the Wind. Is this an appropriate subtitle? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the relationships between fathers and daughters was portrayed in the novel. Contrast this with the relationship between mothers and daughters in Shabanu.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)