|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is it rumored that the Afghan mujahideen are paying for good camels?
2. Shabanu thinks about Murad in chapter 3 and remembers she likes him because he what?
3. In chapter 1, Mama assures Shabanu that she and Phulan are better than _______.
4. How many camels does Dadi sell at the fair?
5. What is the toba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
2. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
3. What is the Gudu Barrage?
4. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
5. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
6. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
7. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
8. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
9. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
10. What is a nose peg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the many ironic elements of the novel in terms of chapter titles, statements versus actions, and the culture.
Essay Topic 2
How is Shabanu's life defined more by her losses than anything she has gained? What loss in particular has had the most transformational power in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of the following: the desert storm, monsoons, and dry seasons.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)