|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dadi and Shabanu camp the first night of their journey to sell the camels?
2. What is the color of the skirt Mama makes for Shabanu before she sets out on her journey with Dadi?
3. What does the family feed the camels while they peg their noses?
4. How many camels do Dadi and Shabanu have to return home with?
5. What color is Kalu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
2. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
3. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
4. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
5. How does Shabanu feel about her gift from Auntie?
6. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
7. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
8. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
9. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
10. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the images of life and death used throughout the novel. How are these images intertwined with the plot and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)