|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama thinks Shabanu needs to learn how to _________for her future.
2. What is the name of the Muslim feast where camels and goats are sacrificed?
3. What do Shabanu and her family use to keep the fighting camels apart?
4. What is the name of the quiet herder who wants to buy Dadi's camels?
5. What is the name of the place Dadi and Shabanu will travel to sell their camels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
2. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
3. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
4. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
5. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
6. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
9. What do they do to prepare the camels to be sold in Sibi?
10. Describe the scene when Wardak returns to buy Guluband.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the images of life and death used throughout the novel. How are these images intertwined with the plot and themes of the novel?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)