|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Guluband and the rest of the male camels sell for?
2. What people sacrifice and eat camels for a religious feast?
3. Who does Dadi say will give him the best price for Guluband?
4. Where does Shabanu keep the spending money Dadi gives her for the fair?
5. How many camels do they need to sell in order to pay for Phulan's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Gudu Barrage?
2. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
3. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
4. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
5. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
6. Describe the scene when Wardak returns to buy Guluband.
7. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
8. How does Shabanu feel about her gift from Auntie?
9. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
10. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subtitle of the novel: Daughter of the Wind. Is this an appropriate subtitle? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Shabanu's love for the animals represent both her freedom and her undoing?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)