|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did someone offer for Guluband at last year's fair?
2. What color is Kalu?
3. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu at the carnival made from?
4. How many baby camels are there when Dadi and Shabanu return home from their journey?
5. How much does Dadi say it costs to feed each camel a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they do to prepare the camels to be sold in Sibi?
2. What kind of attention does Shabanu's herd of camels get at the Sibi fair?
3. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
4. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
5. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
6. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
7. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
8. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
9. What is the Gudu Barrage?
10. How do the rains dictate the life of Shabanu's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Shabanu's life defined more by her losses than anything she has gained? What loss in particular has had the most transformational power in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)