|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dadi wears a ________ tied around his waist.
2. Shabanu doesn't think she will ever be as beautiful as who?
3. What tribe are the four men from who are waiting for Dadi after the carnival?
4. What does Dadi accuse the herder of during their negations over the camels?
5. Who trains the Desert Rangers to look after life on the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a nose peg?
2. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
3. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
4. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
5. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
6. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What kind of attention does Shabanu's herd of camels get at the Sibi fair?
9. How does Shabanu feel about her gift from Auntie?
10. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the many cultural elements of the Pakistani nomads that have essential practical uses as well as deep cultural meaning. Begin the discussion with the chadr and include at least two other elements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the following: the desert storm, monsoons, and dry seasons.
Essay Topic 3
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)