|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shabanu have to keep away from the mother camel giving birth?
2. How many baby camels are in the herd when the orphan baby comes along?
3. What is the name of the leader of the group of men who are waiting to speak to Dadi after the carnival?
4. How many baby camels are there when Dadi and Shabanu return home from their journey?
5. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu to eat at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Wardak returns to buy Guluband.
2. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
3. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
4. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
5. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
6. What is the family's reaction when the see what Dadi has bought for Phulan's dowry and for gifts?
7. What do they do to prepare the camels to be sold in Sibi?
8. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
9. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
10. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Shabanu worthy of the origin of her name: a princess? Discuss the character of Shabanu and how she changed and matured by the end of the novel. Did she have a regal spirit and was her spirit broken by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Shabanu's love for the animals represent both her freedom and her undoing?
Essay Topic 3
The news often carries images of Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries. Compare and contrast those images with the setting portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)