|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu to eat at the carnival?
2. How many camels do Dadi and Shabanu have to return home with?
3. What is Channan Pir known as?
4. What does Dadi tell the men they are traveling with is the reason they live in the desert?
5. What is the religion of Shabanu's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
2. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
3. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
4. How does Shabanu feel about her gift from Auntie?
5. What is the family's reaction when the see what Dadi has bought for Phulan's dowry and for gifts?
6. What does Shabanu encounter when she hears a camel in distress while tending the herd?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
9. What is a nose peg?
10. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the many ironic elements of the novel in terms of chapter titles, statements versus actions, and the culture.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the many cultural elements of the Pakistani nomads that have essential practical uses as well as deep cultural meaning. Begin the discussion with the chadr and include at least two other elements.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)