|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Shabanu that it's okay to cry for Guluband?
2. Who does Shabanu think about as she helps the camel deliver the baby?
3. What is the toba?
4. Which camel gets a nose peg first?
5. What does Shabanu sell at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
2. How do the rains dictate the life of Shabanu's family?
3. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
4. What is the Gudu Barrage?
5. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
6. How does Dadi make it up to Shabanu for discussing selling Guluband?
7. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
8. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
9. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
10. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Shabanu's love for the animals represent both her freedom and her undoing?
Essay Topic 2
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the many ironic elements of the novel in terms of chapter titles, statements versus actions, and the culture.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)