|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Grandfather made for Dadi to sell at the market?
2. What color are the flowers that cover the desert after the rain?
3. What is Channan Pir known as?
4. How does Shabanu's new dress for her journey with Dadi make her feel?
5. Who does Dadi say will give him the best price for Guluband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Sharma give to Shabanu about her future before she returns to Cholistan after Phulan's wedding?
2. What happens when Shabanu and Phulan are sent ahead of the family on their journey to the fort?
3. How does Shabanu save Phulan from Nazir?
4. What is the Gudu Barrage?
5. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
6. What do they discover when they go outside the hut after the sand storm?
7. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
8. What do the men decide should happen to Phulan and Shabanu?
9. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
10. How does Shabanu meet Rahim-sahib for the first time?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the relationships between fathers and daughters was portrayed in the novel. Contrast this with the relationship between mothers and daughters in Shabanu.
Essay Topic 2
The news often carries images of Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries. Compare and contrast those images with the setting portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What does the character Sharma represent in the story? What advice does she give Shabanu, and what role does that advice play in the choices Shabanu makes?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)