|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phulan's name mean?
2. What tribe does Dadi consider to be dangerous and unpredictable on the journey to the fair?
3. What is Channan Pir known as?
4. What river does the Gudu Barrage cross?
5. Where does Shabanu go on her first morning home from the long journey? .
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dadi respond when Shabanu asks him if he was afraid of the Bugtis tribesmen who stopped their caravan?
2. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
3. How does Auntie act during the pilgrimage to Channan Pir?
4. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
5. What happens after Shabanu gets the women safely away from Mehrabpur?
6. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
7. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
8. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
9. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
10. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of the following: the desert storm, monsoons, and dry seasons.
Essay Topic 2
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)