|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of snake bit the mother camel before she gave birth?
2. How much is it rumored that the Afghan mujahideen are paying for good camels?
3. How much does the kind herder pay for Dadi's camels?
4. How long ago did the Hakra River dry up?
5. How many days will the camels have to go without water on the journey to the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
2. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
3. What do the men traveling to the fair talk about as they sit by the fire with Dadi?
4. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
5. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
6. What does Guluband represent to Shabanu?
7. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
8. Why does Mama worry about Shabanu's future?
9. What kind of attention does Shabanu's herd of camels get at the Sibi fair?
10. What does Phulan tell Shabanu she worries about when she marries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the images of life and death used throughout the novel. How are these images intertwined with the plot and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of the camels both collectively and individually throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How is Shabanu's life defined more by her losses than anything she has gained? What loss in particular has had the most transformational power in her life?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)