Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shabanu keep the spending money Dadi gives her for the fair?
2. What does Shabanu use to keep the scorpions away from their bedrolls?
3. What tribe does Dadi consider to be dangerous and unpredictable on the journey to the fair?
4. What are the men sitting around the fire doing?
5. How many baby camels are there when Dadi and Shabanu return home from their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
2. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
3. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
4. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
5. What does Auntie tell Shabanu the morning after Hamir is killed by Nazir?
6. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What is the celebration at Shabanu's camp like on the last night of the Sibi fair?
9. What is the legend of the thirsty dead?
10. How does Shabanu break with tradition on Grandfather's behalf?
Essay Topic 1
What does the character Sharma represent in the story? What advice does she give Shabanu, and what role does that advice play in the choices Shabanu makes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way are the landscape and culture of Cholistan as important as the characters in the novel? How do they shape the plot and characters of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The news often carries images of Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries. Compare and contrast those images with the setting portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)