|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Guluband and the rest of the male camels sell for?
2. Who tells Shabanu that it's okay to cry for Guluband?
3. What does Dadi tell the men they are traveling with is the reason they live in the desert?
4. Mama thinks Shabanu needs to learn how to _________for her future.
5. As they travel, what do the Bedford trucks and buses look like to Shabanu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
2. Why is Shanbanu's father mad about the loss of the mother camel at first?
3. What happens when a group of Bugtis tribesmen stop the caravan Dadi and Shabanu are traveling with to the Sibi Fair?
4. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
5. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
6. What does delivering the baby camel cause Shabanu to think about?
7. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
8. What disturbing thing does Shabanu learn about how other tribes treat camels?
9. How do the rains dictate the life of Shabanu's family?
10. What changes does Shabanu notice in Phulan as the wedding draws nearer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the Muslim religion portrayed in the novel? Does the author seem to have either a negative or positive view of the religion?
Essay Topic 2
Did the family buy Phulan's happiness and their own security by selling Shabanu to the highest bidder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)