|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dadi dance with during the celebration at their camp?
2. How much did someone offer for Guluband at last year's fair?
3. Shabanu doesn't think she will ever be as beautiful as who?
4. What does Shabanu sell at the fair?
5. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu to eat at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
2. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
3. Why is this trip to the Sibi fair particularly poignant for Shabanu?
4. Describe the scene when Wardak returns to buy Guluband.
5. Why can't Grandfather be buried inside the fort at Derawar?
6. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
7. What happens during Phulan's wedding ceremony?
8. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
9. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
10. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the many ironic elements of the novel in terms of chapter titles, statements versus actions, and the culture.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two choices Sharma tells Shabanu she has when it comes to her marriage to Rahim-sahib. How does Shabanu interpret this advice? Is the idea of a choice a dangerous illusion for Shabanu?
Essay Topic 3
What does the character Sharma represent in the story? What advice does she give Shabanu, and what role does that advice play in the choices Shabanu makes?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)