|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the kind herder pay for Dadi's camels?
2. Where does Shabanu go on her first morning home from the long journey? .
3. Shabanu thinks about Murad in chapter 3 and remembers she likes him because he what?
4. What landmark do Shabanu and Dadi follow for the last part of their journey to the fair?
5. What doesn't Shabanu see at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shabanu realize as she tells Phulan all about the Sibi fair?
2. What happens when Shabanu goes from the women's camp to gather fodder and firewood?
3. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
4. Who does Dadi sell most of the female camels to and how do the negotiations go?
5. What upsets Shabanu at the end of the first day of their trip to Sibi?
6. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
7. How does Shabanu show more concern for the camels than for obeying her father?
8. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
9. What does Shabanu encounter when she hears a camel in distress while tending the herd?
10. How does Shabanu feel about her future after Dadi comforts her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Shabanu's love for the animals represent both her freedom and her undoing?
Essay Topic 2
Is Staples trying to give the reader a slice of nomadic desert life, or is she making a larger statement about the mistreatment of women in countries like Pakistan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)