|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Shabanu was little her mother bathed her with how much water?
2. Who does Phulan resemble?
3. What color is Kalu?
4. What is Tipu?
5. What are chapatis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a nose peg?
2. Who is Sharma and how does Auntie feel about her?
3. What way to they devise to feed the orphan camel after the other mother camels reject it?
4. What kind of attention does Shabanu's herd of camels get at the Sibi fair?
5. What does Grandfather tell Shabanu after she returns from Sibi?
6. Why is Shabanu worried about her future?
7. What does Shabanu know is the reality for every Muslim girl?
8. What present does Dadi give Shabanu before they leave Sibi?
9. What is the special relationship between Shabanu and her camel?
10. What all does Shabanu do at the Sibi carnival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of the following: the desert storm, monsoons, and dry seasons.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subtitle of the novel: Daughter of the Wind. Is this an appropriate subtitle? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following characters: Phulan, Dadi, Grandfather and Auntie.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)