|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who trains the Desert Rangers to look after life on the desert?
(a) Indian Army.
(b) Afghan Army.
(c) Pakistani Army.
(d) U.S. Army.
2. What does Dadi tell the men they are traveling with is the reason they live in the desert?
(a) We love our animals.
(b) We love our women.
(c) We use our animals.
(d) We use our women.
3. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu to eat at the carnival?
4. What color chadr does Phulan wear to the shrine?
5. What does Dadi tell the one-eyed man that he will sell Guluband for?
(a) Thirty-three thousand rupees.
(b) Thirty thousand rupees.
(c) Twenty-eight thousand rupees.
(d) Twenty-five thousand rupees.
6. How much did someone offer for Guluband at last year's fair?
(a) Twelve thousand dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand rupees.
(c) Ten thousand rupees.
(d) Eighteen hundred dollars.
7. Phulan feeds Mithoo by hanging a goatskin bag from ___________.
(a) Neck of a mother camel.
(b) A pole in the courtyard.
(c) Branch of a thorn tree.
(d) Her arm.
8. Shabanu says that as they leave the fair she feels as empty as ___________.
(a) The cloudless sky.
(b) Clay cups.
(c) Blank paper.
(d) The desert.
9. How does Shabanu's new dress for her journey with Dadi make her feel?
10. What tribe are the four men from who are waiting for Dadi after the carnival?
11. How much does Guluband and the rest of the male camels sell for?
(a) One hundred thousand rupees.
(b) One hundred and fifty thousand rupees.
(c) Fifty-five thousand rupees.
(d) Two hundred thousand rupees.
12. What does Auntie give Shabanu before her journey with Dadi?
13. Camels usually give birth by ____________.
(a) Getting in water.
(b) Walking the desert.
(c) Laying down.
(d) Standing up.
14. How long has it been at the beginning of the novel since there was rain in the Cholistan desert?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 7 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 months.
15. Who does Phulan resemble?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Dadi say it costs to feed each camel a day?
2. Shabanu thinks about Murad in chapter 3 and remembers she likes him because he what?
3. What is the special treat Dadi buys for Shabanu at the carnival made from?
4. How many camels does Dadi sell at the fair?
5. What does Dadi send Shabanu out to buy for a celebration at the fair?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)