|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river does the Gudu Barrage cross?
(a) Nile River.
(b) Kush River.
(c) Indus River
(d) Thar River.
2. Phulan feeds Mithoo by hanging a goatskin bag from ___________.
(a) A pole in the courtyard.
(b) Neck of a mother camel.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Branch of a thorn tree.
3. It is said the Abassi prince kept how many wives in underground cells?
4. What does Shabanu sell at the fair?
(a) Three camel hair blankets.
(b) Two of grandfather's saddles.
(c) Three of Mama's dresses.
(d) Two clay pots.
5. What is the name of the leader of the group of men who are waiting to speak to Dadi after the carnival?
6. What does Dadi send Shabanu out to buy for a celebration at the fair?
(b) Four chickens.
(c) Two chickens.
(d) Roasted goat.
7. Who trains the Desert Rangers to look after life on the desert?
(a) Afghan Army.
(b) U.S. Army.
(c) Pakistani Army.
(d) Indian Army.
8. What kind of dance do the boys do during the celebration at the fair?
(a) Danger dance.
(b) Laughter dance.
(c) Snake dance.
(d) Sword dance.
9. What does one of the men bring to play during the celebration of Dadi's success?
10. Who does Phulan resemble?
11. After returning from the fair, the family has enough water to last _____.
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) One week.
(d) Two months.
12. What has Grandfather made for Dadi to sell at the market?
(a) Woven ropes.
(b) Wooden saddles.
(c) Cooking pots.
(d) Camel hair blankets.
13. What treasure is Auntie most impressed with that Dadi bought for Phulan's dowry?
(b) Gold necklace.
(c) Brass pots.
(d) A nose ring.
14. What clothing marks the Marris tribe from other groups?
(a) Gun slings.
(b) Striped turban.
(c) Billowy trousers.
(d) Embroidered vests.
15. What does Dadi give Shabanu as a gift along their journey?
(a) Glass bangles.
(b) Silk veil.
(c) Flower seeds.
(d) Pen and paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shabanu use to feed the orphan camel?
2. Who are the tribesmen that Dadi and Shabanu encounter on their journey looking for?
3. How much is it rumored that the Afghan mujahideen are paying for good camels?
4. What are chapatis?
5. What does Phulan get tangled in as she tried to escape the charging camel?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)