|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe does Dadi consider to be dangerous and unpredictable on the journey to the fair?
2. What is the reaction from Phulan, Mama, and Auntie when Dadi shows them all the things he bought for Phulan's dowry?
3. What is the name of the place Dadi and Shabanu will travel to sell their camels?
4. What does "shutr keena" mean?
(a) The desert way.
(b) Camel vengeance.
(c) The way of the camel.
(d) Desert revenge.
5. What color is the covering Phulan must wear now that she is betrothed?
6. Phulan and Shabanu ride in a __________ on the way to the shrine.
7. What color is Kalu?
8. What did Shabanu have to keep away from the mother camel giving birth?
9. What are the men sitting around the fire doing?
(a) Weaving fodder.
(b) Smoking hookahs.
(c) Discussing politics.
(d) Burning sugar cane.
10. How long ago did the Hakra River dry up?
(a) One thousand years.
(b) Two hundred years.
(c) Five hundred years.
(d) Three thousand years.
11. How much does the kind herder pay for Dadi's camels?
(a) Twenty-eight thousand rupees.
(b) Thirty thousand rupees.
(c) Thirty-three thousand rupees.
(d) Twenty-five thousand rupees.
12. How many baby camels are in the herd when the orphan baby comes along?
13. What does Shabanu feel Guluband has taken with him?
(b) Her freedom.
(c) Her future.
(d) Her hope.
14. Who does Dadi say will give him the best price for Guluband?
(c) Desert Rangers.
15. What does Shabanu use to feed the orphan camel?
(a) Her fingers.
(b) A cup.
(c) Another mother camel.
(d) A wet cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Dadi say it costs to feed each camel a day?
2. How many camels do Dadi and Shabanu have to return home with?
3. What does Shabanu name the puppy Dadi gives her?
4. What does Shabanu use to keep the scorpions away from their bedrolls?
5. How much did someone offer for Guluband at last year's fair?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)