Chapter 1, Guluband
1. How old is Shabanu as the book begins?
2. How old is Phulan as the book begins?
3. What is the toba?
(b) Head covering.
(c) Water supply.
(d) Water jug.
4. How long has it been at the beginning of the novel since there was rain in the Cholistan desert?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 7 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 1 year.
5. What does Phulan's name mean?
6. What are chapatis?
(a) Head covering.
(b) Water supply.
(c) Water jug.
7. How many camels do they need to sell in order to pay for Phulan's wedding?
8. How many camels will Shabanu and Phulan each have in her dowry?
9. In chapter 1, Mama assures Shabanu that she and Phulan are better than _______.
(a) A hundred camel.
(b) A chest of gold.
(c) Seven sons.
10. Dadi wears a ________ tied around his waist.
11. What color are the flowers that cover the desert after the rain?
This section contains 3,093 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)