Chapter 1, Guluband
• Shabanu is an eleven-year-old living with her extended family in the Cholistan Desert of Pakistan.
• Her thirteen-year-old sister, Phulan, will be getting married soon and it is the main topic of discussion among the women of the family.
• Shabanu's aunt thinks it is better to have sons.
• The availability of water is a big concern for the family and dictates where they live.
• The family moves around, and Phulan worries that once she lives in her husband's village she will never see her family again.
• Shabanu reminds her sister that in two years she will join her when she marries the brother of Phulan's husband.
• A rain shower allows them to stay in the desert until the wedding.
Chapter 2, Birth
• The rains have brought creatures out of hiding and attracted vultures.
• The vultures begin to circle a pregnant camel while Shabanu is tending the...
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)