|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emil want the duck to do?
2. Upon the duck's death, what law does George mention?
3. Do the men think duck hunting is expensive?
4. Which of these is not a tool used for hunting ducks mentioned by the men?
5. What happens to the hunter after he shoots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cycle must the lead duck go through?
2. What was George reading about the balance of nature?
3. What point does Emil make about the wild Buffalo?
4. Why does George talk about symbiosis?
5. How does George, in contradiction with some of his other statements, describe the simple life of a duck?
6. What advantages do ducks have that Blue Herons do not?
7. What does Emil predict with happen in the future with disposing of leaves?
8. What are some of the items the men claim are needed to hunt a duck?
9. Why does Emil sometimes think the park is more trouble than it is worth?
10. Why did the Ancient Greeks watch birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character study of Joan Webber in Sexual Perversity in Chicago. Is Joan a static or a dynamic character, i.e., does she stay the same throughout the play or does she change? Did your opinion of Joan change throughout the play? Why or why not? Describe aspects of Joan's personality. How does she behave toward the other characters in the play? What drives her behavior? Why do you think the playwright decided to make Joan a kindergarten teacher? What is Joan's existential crisis? Feel free to use properly cited quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character study of Bernie Litko in Sexual Perversity in Chicago. Is Bernie a static character or a dynamic character, i.e., does he stay the same throughout the play or does he change? Did your opinion of Bernie change throughout the play? Why or why not? Describe aspects of Bernie's personality. What drives him through life? How may the childhood molestation have affected his behavior as an adult? How does he feel about women? Organize your thoughts into sections and devote at least one paragraph to each point.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Deborah's story about the cookie and the hug. Try to answer her question in the context of the play: what is a sublimation of what? What signifies what? Do the characters think they need one thing but really need something else? Why or why not? Cite examples from the play.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)