|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Klosterman, Billy Joel is great despite what?
2. Besides celebrities, what are the most popular types of porn sites on the internet?
3. Klosterman believes that all women think John Cusack is really his character from which film?
4. Why can Anderson not date sports stars, according to Klosterman in Chapter 6?
5. Which band member of Paradise City is the band leader looking to replace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will Wright answer the question of materialism in The Sims?
2. How was the first season of The Real World different from subsequent seasons?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what odd existence does Klosterman describe regarding tribute bands?
4. Why do so many children play soccer, according to Klosterman?
5. What does Klosterman hate about Spike Lee films?
6. Why is Madonna not the sexual icon that Pamela Anderson is?
7. What is the difference between the sexuality Monroe represents and the sexuality Anderson represents?
8. Why do women have an illogical opinion of John Cusack, according to Chuck Klosterman?
9. How is Billy Joel an exception to the fetishism of coolness?
10. Why is Sim Chuck rejected in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Klosterman's point-of-view, certain individuals are able to effortlessly embody abstract ideas. Write an essay about his exploration of Marilyn Monroe and Pamela Anderson. How does each woman typify the sexuality of her era? What limitations on the public's understanding of these women does this symbolic quality create? Why is Anderson, in Klosterman's opinion, a more effective sex symbol than Madonna?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Chuck Klosterman's experiment with the video game The Sims. Why was he initially drawn to try it out? Discuss his initial critique of the game and its relationship to consumerism. What limitations to happiness does Sim Chuck have, and how does the game's developer explain these? What conclusions does Klosterman draw about live as a result of this game?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the unifying worldview that runs throughout all of the essays in Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. What does Klosterman think about popular culture in modern America? What is its connection to the overall cultural zeitgeist? What does it reveal about humanities wants and fears? Does Klosterman give any inkling as to his political leanings? What does he refuse to admit about himself and his personal values?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)