|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Klosterman notes that Bruce Springsteen is a hero to what?
2. According to Klosterman, Coldplay is a worst version of which two other bands?
3. In Chapter 1, Klosterman jokes about which religious sect's young people carping about whether they practice?
4. Between which years does Klosterman focus his basketball debate in Chapter 8?
5. What does Klosterman credit porn with doing in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Klosterman come to regarding the Lakers and Celtics at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Describe the gig at the end of Chapter 5.
3. What is the essential difference between a Laker philosophy and a Celtic philosophy?
4. What possible pitfalls could the release of Chinese Democracy cause for Paradise City?
5. How does Will Wright answer the question of materialism in The Sims?
6. Why do women have an illogical opinion of John Cusack, according to Chuck Klosterman?
7. What does Klosterman learn about his life from his Sim?
8. Why do so many children play soccer, according to Klosterman?
9. What is the value of celebrity nudity sites on the net?
10. What is Chuck Klosterman's purpose in writing this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, Klosterman uses popular culture to explain the drives and attitudes of Generation X'ers. Write a three-part essay about Klosterman's conception of Generation X:
Part 1) Why did the movies of John Cusack render love a virtual impossibility for Generation X? What false expectations did the movies of the 1980s and '90s create, and how has Klosterman repeatedly been foiled by them?
Part 2) What is Generation X's obsession with coolness, according to Klosterman? Discuss how his generation was conditioned at a young age to desire coolness as an ideal? How did cereal ads play a role in this indoctrination? What is the nature of cool to Gen X?
Part 3) Discuss how Gen X feels an unbreakable bond with Luke Skywalker. What in the original Star Wars films typifies the worldview of this generation? What role does failure and struggle play in this kinship?
Essay Topic 2
Beginning in the first chapter and continuing throughout several essays that follow, Klosterman discusses the fake emotion and false expectations that popular culture creates. Write an essay about false reality that pop culture creates. What specific examples does Klosterman provide? How does he say these products affect generational consciousness? How have they affected his own life?
Essay Topic 3
Chuck Klosterman's essays fall into the category of literary nonfiction, or new journalism. Most famously practiced by such writers as Norman Mailer, Joan Didion, and Truman Capote, this practice involves the journalist placing him or herself at the center of the story. Write an essay about three essays in which Klosterman plays a pivotal role in the reading of events. How is he an active player here? How does his presence affect the story? What does this alter about what else would have been a straightforward relating of events?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)