|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klosterman initially suspect the Sims to be a critique of?
2. What is incorrect about the story of Danny Ainge biting Tree Rollins in the 1984 Eastern playoffs?
3. Which of the following characters is not referenced in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 9, Klosterman says the internet allows people to participate in what?
5. How does Klosterman think Big Brother would have survived?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Marilyn Monroe and Pamela Anderson similar?
2. Describe Chuck Klosterman's holiday tradition.
3. How did Nora Ephron ruin a lot of young lives?
4. What does Klosterman hate about Spike Lee films?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, what odd existence does Klosterman describe regarding tribute bands?
6. What is Chuck Klosterman's purpose in writing this book?
7. Why did Klosterman fail as a little league coach?
8. What is fake love?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Klosterman explain Bruce Springsteen's appeal?
10. According to Klosterman, how did The Real World create modern youth culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, Klosterman uses popular culture to explain the drives and attitudes of Generation X'ers. Write a three-part essay about Klosterman's conception of Generation X:
Part 1) Why did the movies of John Cusack render love a virtual impossibility for Generation X? What false expectations did the movies of the 1980s and '90s create, and how has Klosterman repeatedly been foiled by them?
Part 2) What is Generation X's obsession with coolness, according to Klosterman? Discuss how his generation was conditioned at a young age to desire coolness as an ideal? How did cereal ads play a role in this indoctrination? What is the nature of cool to Gen X?
Part 3) Discuss how Gen X feels an unbreakable bond with Luke Skywalker. What in the original Star Wars films typifies the worldview of this generation? What role does failure and struggle play in this kinship?
Essay Topic 2
Music plays an incredibly important role in Chuck Klosterman's writing, particularly as he is a former music critic for Rolling Stone magazine. Write an essay about three musicians that Klosterman clearly believes illuminate some essential truth about life. Why is Klosterman drawn to this particular musician? What does this musician have to say about life, and why does Klosterman believe this profundity has been hidden from public understanding?
Part 1) Guns-N-Roses
Part 2) Billy Joel
Part 3) Trisha Yearwood
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, Chuck Klosterman discusses the importance of individuals in the world. Write an essay about three of these individuals. How did they become popular? To what extent have they become symbols in modern day America? What does each symbolize? What is Klosterman's attitude toward each?
Part 1) John Cusack
Part 2) Pamela Anderson
Part 3) Jeffrey Dahmer
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)