|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chet's father buy him a bar in Owl?
(a) To convince him not to reveal an affair.
(b) As a graduation present.
(c) To get him out of Minneapolis.
(d) To launder money.
2. What realization does the protagonist of Waking Life have at the end of the film?
(a) He is in a film.
(b) He is having a nightmare.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is awake.
3. What era does Klosterman assault the country for romanticizing in Chapter 14?
(a) The 1960s.
(b) The Depression.
(c) The Coal Wars.
(d) The Civil War.
4. Which film does Klosterman like that virtually no one else seems to?
(a) Very Bad Things.
(b) Howard the Duck.
(c) Alien 3.
(d) Vanilla Sky.
5. What social activity is Eric Nuzum passionate about?
(a) Sexual health.
(b) Free speech.
(c) Health care reform.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, Klosterman argues that most people see life as what?
2. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 12 to describe Gen X'ers?
3. In Chapter 12, what event does Klosterman theorize ended the second act of his generation?
4. According to Klosterman in Chapter 12, The Empire Strikes Back celebrates what?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, Klosterman says that all popular ideas are inherently what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do page designers affect the news?
2. Why does Klosterman posit that traveling forward in time is less fraught than traveling back?
3. What is the value of lyrics in popular music?
4. What is Klosterman's fascination with serial killers?
5. Why do sports writers hate their work?
6. Why is the Pop Music Studies conference that Klosterman attends in Chapter 17 not a rocking place?
7. How are some cereal icons representative of the pained desire for perfection and acceptance?
8. How has the portrayal of reality in films changed between the golden age of the 1970s and today, according to Klosterman?
9. Why is serial killing a modern crime?
10. Why is being a serial killer more authentic than being a regular celebrity?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)