|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 14 to describe mainstream country music?
(a) Garth Brooks country.
(b) Real life country.
(c) Nascar country.
(d) Walmart country.
2. Which of the following is not a story in the heavy news day Klosterman describes in a hypothetical question?
(a) The President may have thyroid cancer.
(b) The discovery of the Loch Ness Monster.
(c) The beginning of World War III.
(d) The capture of a Sasquatch.
3. What path do Gen X'ers normally choose in life, according to Klosterman in Chapter 12?
(a) The lowkey path.
(b) They refuse to choose a path.
(c) The comfortable path.
(d) The difficult path.
4. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 12 to describe Gen X'ers?
(a) Hopeless intellectuals.
(b) Lost leaders.
(c) Whiny losers.
(d) Cynical optimists.
5. In Chapter 12, Klosterman compares Darth Vader's appeal to Luke at the end of The Empire Strike's Back to the modern pressures of a twenty-something to do what?
(a) Go to grad school.
(b) Get married.
(c) Have children.
(d) Join the army.
6. According to Horace, what do real men drink?
(d) Wine coolers.
7. What scene from Mulholland Drive does Klosterman cite as proof of his interpretation of the plot?
(a) The car crash scene.
(b) The music hall scene.
(c) The masturbation scene.
(d) The first sex scene.
8. What Star Wars character does Klosterman argue was the hero of every kid who watched the franchise?
(a) Han Solo.
(b) Boba Fett.
(d) Luke Skywalker.
9. During what era did television unseat newspapers as the primary source of news. according to Klosterman?
(a) The Reagan years.
(b) The immediate wake of 9/11.
(c) The Vietnam era.
(d) The 1950s.
10. Which Star Wars film does Klosterman call the least watchable Hollywood blockbuster ever?
(a) The Phantom Menace.
(b) A New Hope.
(c) Return of the Jedi.
(d) Attack of the Clones.
11. In Downtown Owl, Coach Laidlaw expresses disdain for those who watch what?
(a) Captain Kangaroo.
(c) The Price Is Right.
(d) All in the Family.
12. Which of the following is not an item Klosterman analyzes in Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs?
(a) The first season of The Real World.
(b) The Left Behind series.
(c) The death of Jackson Pollock.
(d) The Pamela/Tommy Lee sex tape.
13. What did Klosterman spend the first twenty minutes of his interview with the front man of Soul Asylum discussing?
(a) The influence of ELO.
(b) What he had for breakfast.
(c) The best bars in Minneapolis.
(d) His time at Dartmouth.
14. Which television show does Klosterman cite as an example of an important program?
(b) Twin Peaks.
(c) The Wire.
(d) X Files.
15. What does Julie do after getting home from her meeting with Valentine?
(a) Smoke pot.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Say a prayer.
(d) Write her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Gacy trinket does Eric Nuzum have in his house?
2. Which film does Klosterman like that virtually no one else seems to?
3. In Klosterman's hypothetical newspaper scenario in Chapter 16, why does the reporter miss the Mayor's call?
4. What does the serial killer Cowboy Mike do with Klosterman's friend Sarah?
5. What era does Klosterman assault the country for romanticizing in Chapter 14?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)