|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 16, Klosterman declares that who controls the content of modern newspapers?
(a) Copy editors.
(b) Editorial writers.
(d) Page designers.
2. A story about what musician does Klosterman cite in Chapter 16 for its admitted fraudulence?
(a) Michael Stipe.
(b) Ryan Adams.
(c) Ringo Starr.
(d) Billie Joe Armstrong.
3. Which Star Wars film does Klosterman call the least watchable Hollywood blockbuster ever?
(a) Return of the Jedi.
(b) Attack of the Clones.
(c) A New Hope.
(d) The Phantom Menace.
4. At the end of Chapter 14, Klosterman argues that most people see life as what?
(a) An enigma.
(b) A job.
(d) A vacation.
5. On day two of the Pop Music Studies conference, Klosterman misses a seminar that was to start at what time?
(b) 3:30 PM.
(c) 7:00 AM.
(d) 9:30 AM.
6. What component of music is most important to people who don't care about good music?
(a) Back-up vocals.
(c) Bass Line.
7. In Chapter 13, which actor's 1970s career does Klosterman use as an example of films that expressed the zeitgeist?
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Jack Nicholson.
(c) Gene Hackman.
(d) Al Pacino.
8. In Chapter 10, Klosterman argues the a child's cereal choice is made to avoid being what?
9. What social activity is Eric Nuzum passionate about?
(a) Sexual health.
(b) Health care reform.
(d) Free speech.
10. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 14 to describe mainstream country music?
(a) Nascar country.
(b) Real life country.
(c) Walmart country.
(d) Garth Brooks country.
11. In Klosterman's hypothetical newspaper scenario in Chapter 16, why does the reporter miss the Mayor's call?
(a) He falls asleep at his desk.
(b) He is getting a Dr. Pepper.
(c) He goes to his daughter's soccer game.
(d) He gets caught up in an episode of CHiPS.
12. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 12 to describe Gen X'ers?
(a) Hopeless intellectuals.
(b) Whiny losers.
(c) Lost leaders.
(d) Cynical optimists.
13. Which film does Klosterman like that virtually no one else seems to?
(a) Alien 3.
(b) Vanilla Sky.
(c) Howard the Duck.
(d) Very Bad Things.
14. What does Klosterman state is the essential question of all modern great films?
(a) What is right and wrong?
(b) Is God dead?
(c) What separates art and commerce?
(d) What is reality?
15. The Kellogg brothers had a falling out over what change made to corn flakes?
(a) The serving of them with milk.
(b) The packaging of them for sale.
(c) The addition of sugar.
(d) The marketing of them as a food for humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scene from Mulholland Drive does Klosterman cite as proof of his interpretation of the plot?
2. What does Valentine say is thriving in Owl?
3. According to Klosterman, what is the finest time travel film?
4. At the Pop Music Studies conference, Klosterman is disheartened when a critic he is talking with orders what at the bar?
5. How does Klosterman view the attitudes of agnostics toward born-agains?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)