|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a frequent topic of conversation from Horace and his friends?
(a) Dying friends.
(b) Walter Mondale.
(c) The new interstate.
(d) The weather.
2. Which of the following is not an item Klosterman analyzes in Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs?
(a) The Pamela/Tommy Lee sex tape.
(b) The death of Jackson Pollock.
(c) The Left Behind series.
(d) The first season of The Real World.
3. In Chapter 13, Klosterman questions the logic of the protagonists' choices in The Matrix and Vanilla Sky because why?
(a) They are not bases in reality.
(b) They reflect a privileged lifestyle.
(c) They are heedlessly heroic.
(d) They are absolute choices.
4. Which of the following was not a former mascot for Owl High?
5. What did Derf write in relation to Jeffrey Dahmer?
(a) A Time Magazine article.
(b) A biography.
(c) An obituary.
(d) A comic book.
6. What does Klosterman insist was born in the story of the Star Wars franchise?
(a) Agnostic spirituality.
(b) The internet.
(c) Generation X.
(d) His hatred of robots.
7. In Chapter 16, Klosterman points out that what type of writers hate their jobs?
(a) Metro writers.
(b) Obit writers.
(c) Music writers.
(d) Sports writers.
8. According to Klosterman in Chapter 16, why do copy editors insert false information into a news story?
(a) To play with readers for fun.
(b) In the name of fairness.
(c) To discredit a writer.
(d) To push an agenda.
9. What did Klosterman spend the first twenty minutes of his interview with the front man of Soul Asylum discussing?
(a) The best bars in Minneapolis.
(b) The influence of ELO.
(c) His time at Dartmouth.
(d) What he had for breakfast.
10. What does Klosterman plan to do at the end of Chapter 15 in order to meet a serial killer?
(a) Pick up hitchhikers.
(b) Join a prison correspondence program.
(d) Frequent S and M bars.
11. The Kellogg brothers had a falling out over what change made to corn flakes?
(a) The serving of them with milk.
(b) The packaging of them for sale.
(c) The marketing of them as a food for humans.
(d) The addition of sugar.
12. What Gacy trinket does Eric Nuzum have in his house?
(a) A clown nose.
(b) A murder weapon.
(c) A painting.
(d) A signed photograph.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 11, Klosterman says that all popular ideas are inherently what?
14. What term does Klosterman use in Chapter 12 to describe Gen X'ers?
(a) Hopeless intellectuals.
(b) Lost leaders.
(c) Cynical optimists.
(d) Whiny losers.
15. According to Klosterman in Chapter 12, The Empire Strikes Back celebrates what?
(a) The defeat of its characters.
(b) The friendship of its characters.
(c) The loss of innocence.
(d) The uniting of former foes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine say is thriving in Owl?
2. What topic of conversation did Gacy continuously bring up with Nuzum in their phone calls?
3. What realization does the protagonist of Waking Life have at the end of the film?
4. What word does Kirk Cameron use to describe the Rapture as depicted in Left Behind in the interview quoted in Chapter 17?
5. During what era did television unseat newspapers as the primary source of news. according to Klosterman?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)