|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' wife.
(c) Oedipus' sister.
(d) Laius' daughter.
2. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He is not originally from Thebes.
(b) He is not married.
(c) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(d) He is not old enough to be king.
3. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
(a) Losing contact with each other.
(b) Praising each other.
(c) Kill each other.
(d) Growing old together.
4. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
5. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Run away.
(b) Demolish the city.
(c) Go hide.
(d) Prepare to defend the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
2. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
3. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
4. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
5. What does Eteocles compare his position to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
2. Which generals' match-up do you feel was the most unfair? Explain.
3. Describe Laius' reaction to the Oracle's foreshadowing of Oedipus' life. Was his reaction justified? Explain.
4. Who says, "If the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?" To whom is this character saying that to? What is this character referring to?
5. What is a dirge? Who says the dirge and for what reason was it used?
6. What is the importance of the Oracle of Apollo?
7. Why do you think we are told what is on the shields of the attacking enemy but not what is on Eteocles' general's shields?
8. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
9. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
10. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)