|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(a) Raise children.
(b) Provide for their family.
2. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' sister.
(c) Oedipus' wife.
(d) Laius' daughter.
3. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Blind.
(b) The Scary.
(c) The Fury.
(d) The Oracle.
4. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
(a) The Spinx.
(b) The Oracle.
5. What is another name for the Scout?
Short Answer Questions
1. Plays in ancient Greece are produced as part of what type of ceremony?
2. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
3. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
4. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
5. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
2. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
3. What is the purpose of the Chorus of Women? What information does the Chorus reveal to the audience?
4. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
5. How does the Chorus use their senses to illustrate their fears of the war?
6. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
7. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
8. How does the city of Thebes view both Eteocles and Polyneices?
9. How is the theme of family portrayed in this play?
10. How is the sense of sound used in part 2?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)