|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
(a) Run away.
(b) Go hide.
(c) Demolish the city.
(d) Prepare to defend the city.
2. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
3. After Oedipus' death, who rules the city of Thebes?
4. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
5. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
(a) The Oracle.
(c) The Spinx.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
2. Which of the following is not a fear of the women of Thebes?
3. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
4. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve parents and children doing what?
5. Who is the King of Thebes at the opening of part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
2. How is the theme of family portrayed in this play?
3. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
4. Why does the Chorus give an ode at the end of part 3?
5. What is the significance of the fifth general possessing the shield that has a picture of the Sphinx?
6. Describe the overall mood of part 2.
7. What is the significance of the approaching army setting up their own memorial for their families back home?
8. Describe Laius' character.
9. What is the irony behind Oedipus solving "the Riddle of the Sphinx with his brilliance" ?
10. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)