|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The play "Seven Agaist Thebes" is the third in a _______ of plays.
2. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
3. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
5. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
2. Imagery throughout the play is based on ________.
3. As punishment for his crime, if Laius fathered any children, what would happen to the city of Thebes?
4. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
5. What is a Spinx?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would the audience of this play find it ironic that Antigone and Ismene lived in the prospering city of Thebes?
2. What is the purpose of the Chorus of Women? What information does the Chorus reveal to the audience?
3. What is the significance of Oedipus being rescued and raised by a farmer?
4. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
5. Why does Eteocles make the Chorus change the way they pray? What was the Chorus praying about? What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray for?
6. Why did the Oracle of Apollo punish Laius and what was his punishment?
7. What is the significance of the fifth general possessing the shield that has a picture of the Sphinx?
8. How does Eteocles view women, especially the Chorus?
9. In part 1 of the play, who describes the imagery of the waves? What do the waves represent?
10. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)