|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the play?
2. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(b) King of Argos.
(c) Eteocles and Polyneices.
(d) The Spinx.
3. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
(a) The country.
(b) The universe.
(c) The city.
(d) The army.
4. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' sister.
(c) Laius' daughter.
(d) Oedipus' wife.
5. To go against the will of the gods, or to make them angry, is to risk destruction. This is considered the _____ of the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
2. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
3. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
4. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
5. Eteocles is urged to do what by the scout?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eteocles view women, especially the Chorus?
2. Why does Eteocles make the Chorus change the way they pray? What was the Chorus praying about? What does Eteocles suggest the Chorus pray for?
3. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
4. Who says, "If the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?" To whom is this character saying that to? What is this character referring to?
5. How does the city of Thebes view both Eteocles and Polyneices?
6. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
7. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
8. Describe Laius' character.
9. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
10. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)