|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' wife.
(c) Oedipus' sister.
(d) Laius' daughter.
2. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Fury.
3. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Fight the war.
(b) Feed the hungry.
(c) Find a wife.
(d) Give up the throne.
4. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
(a) The Oracle of Apollo.
(b) King of Thebes.
(c) King of Argos.
(d) The Spinx.
5. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(c) The Scout.
Short Answer Questions
1. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
2. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
3. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
4. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
5. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
2. How is the theme of possession and control shown in part 2?
3. Describe Oedipus' character.
4. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
5. Who says, "If the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?" To whom is this character saying that to? What is this character referring to?
6. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
7. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
8. Compare and contrast Antigone and Ismene.
9. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
10. What is the significance of the approaching army setting up their own memorial for their families back home?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)