|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Gates of Thebes are there?
2. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(b) Raise children.
(d) Provide for their family.
3. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The woman.
(b) The children.
(c) The man.
4. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
5. Plays based on Greek legend usually involve a generation after generation repeating a ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
2. What type of violation is used to describe women seeing their husbands, sons, and brothers killed?
3. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
4. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
5. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
2. What is the importance of the Oracle of Apollo?
3. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
4. Describe the relationship between Eteocles and Polyneices.
5. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
6. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
7. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
8. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
9. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
10. Give two examples of the theme: power of curses as seen in the play, Seven Against Thebes.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)