|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
(a) Working citizens.
(b) All citizens.
(c) Male citizens.
(d) Women citizens.
2. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
(b) A Scout.
(c) The Fury.
(d) The Chorus.
3. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
4. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(a) The Spinx.
(c) King of Argos.
(d) Eteocles and Polyneices.
5. What are the two plays leading up to "Seven Against Thebes" named?
(a) The Oracle and The Spinx.
(b) Laius and Oedipus.
(c) Polyneices and Eteocles.
(d) Ismene and Antigone.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
2. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
3. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
4. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
5. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the death of Eteocles and Polyneices is referred to as an "occassion for both rejoicing and weeping"?
2. Describe Oedipus' character.
3. Why do you think Eteocles makes no comment regarding the attacking general Eteoklos but immediately sends out his general?
4. Give an example of how religion is utilized in part 1 of the play.
5. What is the significance of Oedipus being rescued and raised by a farmer?
6. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
7. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
8. How are women treated during wartime according to part 1 of the play? Why do you think women were treated in the manner?
9. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
10. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)