|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
(a) Male citizens.
(b) All citizens.
(c) Women citizens.
(d) Working citizens.
2. Who does Eteocles pray to in the beginning of part 1?
(a) The Scout.
3. What is the name of Laius' son?
(c) Antigone .
4. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
(a) Is over.
(b) Gone well.
(c) Hasn't started.
(d) Gone badly.
5. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(a) The children.
(b) The woman.
(c) The man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
2. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
3. What is the setting of the play?
4. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
5. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
2. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
3. How is Eteocles' story and actions echo Oedipus' story and actions?
4. Why would the audience of this play find it ironic that Antigone and Ismene lived in the prospering city of Thebes?
5. Describe Laius' reaction to the Oracle's foreshadowing of Oedipus' life. Was his reaction justified? Explain.
6. Describe the relationship between Eteocles and Polyneices.
7. What threat does Eteocles give to the citizens of Thebes? Why do you think Eteocles threatens the citizens?
8. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
9. Give an examples of how imagery is used in part 3 of the play.
10. What is the irony behind Oedipus solving "the Riddle of the Sphinx with his brilliance" ?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)