|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He injured the baby's feet.
(b) He blinded the baby.
(c) He killed the baby.
(d) He cursed the baby.
2. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
3. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
(a) A Scout.
(b) The Fury.
(c) The Chorus.
4. What is a Spinx?
(a) Half-man, half-lion.
(b) Half-woman, half-goat.
(c) Half-man, half-horse.
(d) Half-woman, half-lion.
5. Where does Polyneices go to marry a princess?
(a) The Oracle.
(b) The Spinx.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
2. Seven Against Thebes is structured in what form?
3. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
4. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
5. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Polyneices going to Argos and marrying a princess?
2. What is the significance of Oedipus being rescued and raised by a farmer?
3. Describe the theme of fate as depicted in part 2 of the play.
4. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
5. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
6. Describe the overall mood of part 2.
7. Give an example of how rebellion and defiance occurs within part 4.
8. What is the significance of the fifth general possessing the shield that has a picture of the Sphinx?
9. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
10. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)