|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laius do to baby Oedipus after hearing the Oracle foretell Oedipus' future?
(a) He cursed the baby.
(b) He blinded the baby.
(c) He killed the baby.
(d) He injured the baby's feet.
2. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
3. What is the setting of the play?
4. What is the name of Laius' son?
(b) Antigone .
5. Imagery throughout the play is based on ________.
(a) Sand and Mountains.
(b) Clouds and Birds.
(c) Ships and the Sea.
(d) Jungle and Tigers.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Oedipus' adopts father is killed, Oedipus seeks revenge and kills _______ .
2. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
3. In the opening of the Background, Laius has kidnapped, assaulted and murdered ______ son?
4. Where does Eteocles go to prepare for war?
5. What is the name of the prophet that has foreseen the armies of Argos attacking Thebes soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Eteocles' feelings to for his city to how he actually treats his city.
2. Describe the genre and tone of the overall play.
3. How is the city of Thebes most like a "mother" to her people?
4. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
5. What is the purpose of the Chorus of Women? What information does the Chorus reveal to the audience?
6. Describe the overall mood of part 2.
7. How does the city of Thebes view both Eteocles and Polyneices?
8. Why did the Oracle of Apollo punish Laius and what was his punishment?
9. What is the significance of having statues of the Greek gods physically on set?
10. Describe Oedipus' character.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)