|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus refers to the attacks against the city of Thebes as _______.
2. _______ rescues Oedipus and raises him to adulthood.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) A farmer.
3. At the end of the first year, what does Eteocles refused to do?
(a) Give up the throne.
(b) Feed the hungry.
(c) Fight the war.
(d) Find a wife.
4. Human beings are metaphorically represented by ________.
(b) The Ocean.
5. Imagery is used throughout the play to describe the _______ of women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
2. Who solves the Riddle of the Spinx?
3. What is the name of Laius' son?
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
5. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
2. Give two examples of the theme: power of curses as seen in the play, Seven Against Thebes.
3. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
4. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
5. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
6. Why do you think we are told what is on the shields of the attacking enemy but not what is on Eteocles' general's shields?
7. How is Eteocles' story and actions echo Oedipus' story and actions?
8. What is the significance of the seventh battle?
9. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
10. Compare and contrast Antigone and Ismene.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)