|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plays performed in ancient Greece highlight all of the following aspects of city life, except _____.
(a) Private life.
(b) Social life.
(c) Religious life.
(d) Cultural life.
2. Who does Eteocles call upon to fight to protect the land and the city of Thebes?
(b) The man.
(c) The children.
(d) The woman.
3. Who conspires to kill Oedipus at the end of the Background section?
(b) Eteocles and Polyneices.
(c) The Spinx.
(d) King of Argos.
4. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
(a) Male citizens.
(b) All citizens.
(c) Working citizens.
(d) Women citizens.
5. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
2. What does Eteocles compare his position to?
3. The particular legend of "Seven Against Thebes" resembles what other type of legends?
4. Who says, "Their reports will save me from all traps and deceptions?"
5. Who runs on with news that the seven powerful generals of the attacking army have performed a blood sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are women treated during wartime according to part 1 of the play? Why do you think women were treated in the manner?
2. Describe the theme of free will as it is depicted in part 1 of the play.
3. What is the significance of the approaching army setting up their own memorial for their families back home?
4. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
5. Why do you think we are told what is on the shields of the attacking enemy but not what is on Eteocles' general's shields?
6. Why was it important that Oedipus solved the Riddle of the Sphinx?
7. Describe Laius' reaction to the Oracle's foreshadowing of Oedipus' life. Was his reaction justified? Explain.
8. Compare and contrast men and women's views of battle.
9. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
10. Why is it important that the Scout find out about Polyneice's army?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)