|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of violation is used to describe women being treated like treasures?
2. What is another name for the manifestation of the Curse of Oedipus?
(a) The Scary.
(b) The Oracle.
(c) The Blind.
(d) The Fury.
3. When Oedipus' crimes are revealed, what happens to Jocasta?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She blinds herself.
(c) She is murdered.
(d) She becomes ruler of Thebes.
4. The image of Thebes is considered the ______ of its citizens.
5. What is the setting of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
2. What is the name of Laius' son?
3. The will of the gods are metaphorically represented by _________.
4. Eteocles tells the men that the battle has ______.
5. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Oracle of Apollo punish Laius and what was his punishment?
2. How is the theme of family portrayed in this play?
3. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
4. What is the role of the Scout? In your opinion is this character important to the play? Why or why not?
5. Is Antigone just in her actions to give Polyneices a proper burial? Explain.
6. Why is it important that the Scout find out about Polyneice's army?
7. Were Oedipus and Jocasta's reaction to their incestuous relations justified? Explain.
8. Why do you think the death of Eteocles and Polyneices is referred to as an "occassion for both rejoicing and weeping"?
9. What is the significance of Polyneices going to Argos and marrying a princess?
10. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)