|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ him.
2. Plays based on Greek legend tend to be very _____.
3. Why is Eteocles considered to be an illegal king?
(a) He broke his agreement with his brother.
(b) He is not old enough to be king.
(c) He is not originally from Thebes.
(d) He is not married.
4. What is the original language of the play "Seven Against Thebes?"
5. The image of Thebes is of a ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a group of individual actors speaking with the thoughts, emotions, and reactions of a single character?
2. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
3. Who persuades his father-in-law to join with him and win the throne of Thebes by force?
4. The Chorus of Women represents ___________.
5. What is the setting of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think we are told what is on the shields of the attacking enemy but not what is on Eteocles' general's shields?
2. What is the significance of the seventh battle?
3. Why did the Oracle of Apollo punish Laius and what was his punishment?
4. How do you think Eteocles is like a captain of a ship?
5. Why does the Chorus give an ode at the end of part 3?
6. How does the Chorus use their senses to illustrate their fears of the war?
7. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
8. Why is it important that the Scout find out about Polyneice's army?
9. Give an example of how rebellion and defiance occurs within part 4.
10. How is Eteocles' story and actions echo Oedipus' story and actions?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)