|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jocasta?
(a) Polyneices' wife.
(b) Oedipus' sister.
(c) Laius' daughter.
(d) Oedipus' wife.
2. The women of Thebes pray to the gods to remember their faithfulness and protect them so they can continue to do what?
(a) Raise children.
(b) Provide for their family.
3. Who are the group of women of Thebes who rushes on in a panic?
(a) The Farmers.
(b) The Singers.
(c) The Messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
4. The Oracle foretells Laius that Oedipus would one day ______ his mother.
5. What is the genre of Seven Against Thebes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eteocles compare Thebes and its land to?
2. Who does the King of Thebes address in the city?
3. Who punishes Laius for kidnapping and murdering his friend's son?
4. What is the name of Laius' son?
5. Laius is regarded as a _______ in the city of Thebes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of family portrayed in this play?
2. In part 1 of the play, who describes the imagery of the waves? What do the waves represent?
3. Why does the Chorus give an ode at the end of part 3?
4. Give an example of how rebellion and defiance occurs within part 4.
5. Why does the Chorus speak of Jocasta in part 4?
6. Describe the relationship between Eteocles and Polyneices.
7. Why would Eteocles and Polyneices plot to kill their father?
8. Who says, "If the gods [demand] evil, no man can evade it?" To whom is this character saying that to? What is this character referring to?
9. What is the significance of Oedipus being rescued and raised by a farmer?
10. Give an example of how imagery is used in part 2.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)