|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the book, the Arab region is part of what empire?
2. As the Turkish system is being replaced in towns, what type of order is being restored?
3. What is the name of the railroad that supplies the Turks at Medina?
4. What are Lawrence and the men carrying with them on the march to Akaba so that they can pay others?
5. What is the second of the three elements of war in which Lawrence believes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Beduin see God?
2. How does Lawrence describe Colonel Bremond?
3. Why does Ali ask Lawrence to wear Arab garb?
4. Why is Lawrence not happy to be sent back to Arabia and Feisal by Colonel Clayton as an advisor?
5. What is the psychological element of war, according to Lawrence?
6. What does "Sherif" mean?
7. Who is Jafar Pasha?
8. What is Lawrence's background in military theory?
9. How does Feisal communicate with his father while Feisal is an officer in the Turkish Army?
10. Why does Lawrence tell Auda that their group should not move on to Damascus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Arabs are fighting for their freedom from the Turks. What are some of the things the British Army does to enable the Arabs to fight for themselves? How do these actions prevent the Arabs from feeling conquered by the British and instead lead them to cooperation? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What makes a good military officer? Is Lawrence a good military officer? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What caused the initial Arab Revolt, and how did the causes of the revolt shape the conflict that came after? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)