|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the pageant audience react to Samona's African dress?
2. Over what meal does the Michelin family discuss Samona's chances at the beauty pageant?
3. Who does Seth claim is the smartest student in his class?
4. When Seth arrives in the Gemini home, what are Nigel and Anthony surrounded by?
5. Who sews the African dress that Samona wears to the pageant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the beauty pageant, Samona performs a monologue from Sojourner Truth's piece "Aint I a Woman?" First, explain why Samona chose this piece, and what the response from the audience to her performance was. Then, explain how Sojourner Truth's monologue explains the main theme of the novel - women's rights.
Essay Topic 2
Seth and Samoan frequently found themselves getting into trouble when they played together. Choose one moment of mischief, and explain what happened during this event. Then, describe the repercussions the children received as a result of their mischief. How did this mischief affect the friendship between these two unlikely best friends?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Fabiyi represents a traditional Africa many of the neighborhood children are unfamiliar with. First, explain how Mrs. Fabiyi's traditions led the neighborhood children to believe she was a witch. Then, explain how Mrs. Fabiyi's traditions helped lead Samona to a deeper understanding of herself and her beauty.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)