|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the wake, what does Manmi ask Seth to bring over to Samona's house?
2. At what time of day is Matant Margaret's wake held?
3. Which of the following characters offers Samona food when she has none in her home?
4. What is the name of the funeral home where Matant Margaret's wake is held?
5. Which of the following is missing from Mrs. Fabiyi's apartment, which confuses the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Chantal volunteers to bring food over the the Gemini home with Seth?
2. Who is Reggie, and why does his relationship with Jean-Claude make Seth nervous?
3. What arrangements does Papi make for Matant Margaret's funeral?
4. What was Matant Margaret's life like in the years before her death?
5. When Seth finally locates Jean-Claude, how does his brother react?
6. Why do Caribbean families sing and dance at wakes?
7. Why doesn't Jean-Claude like Chantal's boyfriend, Jerome?
8. When Seth arrives with the food at the Gemini house, what conversation does he get into with Mrs. Gemini?
9. What reasons does Chantal give Seth as to why she loves Jerome?
10. What does the interior of Mrs. Fabiyi's house look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gang violence plays a large role in the neighborhood where Seth and Samona grow up. Describe the ways Anthony's life has been altered by gang violence. Then, compare / contrast Anthony's experience with gang violence with Reggie's experience with gang violence. What is the same about their life in gangs? What is different?
Essay Topic 2
Seth and Samoan frequently found themselves getting into trouble when they played together. Choose one moment of mischief, and explain what happened during this event. Then, describe the repercussions the children received as a result of their mischief. How did this mischief affect the friendship between these two unlikely best friends?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Gemini has a very unique way of parenting her children. First, describe Mrs. Gemini's character as she was described in the novel. Then, give one example of a time Mrs. Gemini made a poor decision within her household. How did this decision affect her children? What seems more important to Mrs. Gemini, her artwork or her children? How can you tell?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)