|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the state of Mrs. Fabiyi's home?
2. What are Chantal and Jean-Claude doing when Seth arrives home from Mrs. Fabiyi's?
3. How is Seth related to Enrie?
4. What does Samona's father do for a living?
5. Who realizes that Chantal is lying about her whereabouts in order to see Jerome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction did Seth and Samona have with Mrs. Fabiyi on Halloween?
2. How do Manmi and Chantal help Samona prepare for the beauty pageant, and what is Seth's reaction to these changes?
3. From where did Seth's family immigrate, and how are the remnants of their homeland still present in their household?
4. How does Grandmother react to the wake?
5. What happens when Samona recognizes Reggie on a street corner?
6. After the news of Matant Margaret's death, where does Seth find his mother and grandmother?
7. What does the interior of Mrs. Fabiyi's house look like?
8. How does Mrs. Fabiyi help Samona in the beauty pageant preparations?
9. Why is Samona worried about Mrs.Fabiyi's well being?
10. Who all comes out in support of Samona during the beauty pageant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Gemini has a very unique way of parenting her children. First, describe Mrs. Gemini's character as she was described in the novel. Then, give one example of a time Mrs. Gemini made a poor decision within her household. How did this decision affect her children? What seems more important to Mrs. Gemini, her artwork or her children? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Racism is an important theme in this novel, and one that Jean-Claude is very vocal about. Describe one instance of racism that appears in the text, and explain how that instance has affected Jean-Claude's character.
Essay Topic 3
Chantal Michelin is a character who is extremely unsatisfied with her life. Describe the role Chantal is forced to fill within the traditional Haitian household. Then, explain how Chantal attempts to rebel from this role. What is the reaction to her rebellion?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)