|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the state of Mrs. Fabiyi's home?
2. What are Chantal and Jean-Claude doing when Seth arrives home from Mrs. Fabiyi's?
3. How is Seth related to Enrie?
4. What does Samona's father do for a living?
5. Who realizes that Chantal is lying about her whereabouts in order to see Jerome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction did Seth and Samona have with Mrs. Fabiyi on Halloween?
2. How do Manmi and Chantal help Samona prepare for the beauty pageant, and what is Seth's reaction to these changes?
3. From where did Seth's family immigrate, and how are the remnants of their homeland still present in their household?
4. How does Grandmother react to the wake?
5. What happens when Samona recognizes Reggie on a street corner?
6. After the news of Matant Margaret's death, where does Seth find his mother and grandmother?
7. What does the interior of Mrs. Fabiyi's house look like?
8. How does Mrs. Fabiyi help Samona in the beauty pageant preparations?
9. Why is Samona worried about Mrs.Fabiyi's well being?
10. Who all comes out in support of Samona during the beauty pageant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is something that is very important to both the Michelin and the Gemini families, although each family worships differently. First, explain the importance of religion in the Michelin family, and compare / contrast that to the importance in the Gemini family. Then, explain the differences Seth notes in the church services when he attends his own service and the Geminis' service on the same Sunday.
Essay Topic 2
First impressions are important in this novel. First, explain what Seth's first impressions of Samona were when she showed up in his classroom in the third grade. Then, explain whether or not Samona lived up to those first-impressions as the novel progressed.
Essay Topic 3
Chantal Michelin is a character who is extremely unsatisfied with her life. Describe the role Chantal is forced to fill within the traditional Haitian household. Then, explain how Chantal attempts to rebel from this role. What is the reaction to her rebellion?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)