|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
2. What kind of trick does Sparky show Annie?
3. Who does Annie flirt with?
4. Where do the soldiers put all their things?
5. What does the Bargee say the soldiers have come to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the constable want Mrs. Hitchcock to close her bar?
2. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
3. How does the mayor deal with the rioting?
4. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 1.
5. What are Annie's opinions of soldiers?
6. How does Musgrave react to Walsh's dislike of him?
7. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
8. Why does Musgrave not want Mrs. Hitchcock to mention Hicks to his men?
9. What does Sparky say their mission is?
10. How does the Bargee start the celebration at the end of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Arden's argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3) What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Arden's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does uphold the views he expresses in the play in his own life?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)