|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Constable say the town needs?
2. What does Sparky sing a song about?
3. Whose room do Spark and Hurst see light coming from?
4. What kind of gun does the Bargee say he can get Walsh?
5. What do the colliers tell the soldiers is their business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Old Crooked Joe?
2. What do Sparky. Hurst and Attercliffe do while they wait for Musgrave?
3. What do the Bargee and Musgrave talk about as they prepare to cast off?
4. Why does Musgrave not want Mrs. Hitchcock to mention Hicks to his men?
5. How do Musgrave and Attercliffe try to stop Hurst?
6. Why does the constable want Mrs. Hitchcock to close her bar?
7. What are the mayor's plans?
8. What is the killing cycle Musgrave talks about in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
9. What does Hurst tell Musgrave in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
10. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of a soldier.
1) What is the role of a soldier?
2) What makes a good soldier?
3) In what way does Musgrave have the right characteristics to succeed as a soldier?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)