|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor plan to use the soldiers for?
2. What does the Constable say the town needs?
3. What kind of song does Annie sing to Musgrave?
4. What does the Bargee say the weather is like in the north country?
5. What does Sparky sing a song about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the constable want Mrs. Hitchcock to close her bar?
2. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
3. Why does Mrs. Hitchcock think Musgrave got his logic wrong?
4. What does the fact that the Bargee refers to himself as Old Joe say about his character?
5. What does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcok about the army when she wakes him from his dream?
6. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about Attercliffe's character?
7. How does Sparky try to get Annie to come to his room?
8. What does the parson say about the army in his speech?
9. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
10. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
Essay Topic 2
How have the soldiers in the play been affected by war? Is Arden's portrayal of what war can do to people accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)