|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Constable say the town needs?
2. What does the Parson say soldiers should serve with?
3. Who does the Bargee say is in town?
4. Who does the slow collier dance with?
5. What does Sparky sing a song about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
2. What does Musgrave say is his recruitment police?
3. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
4. How does the Bargee offer to help Walsh?
5. What does Musgrave pray for at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What does Musgrave talk about in his sleep?
7. How does Musgrave react to Attercliffe's conversation?
8. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 1.
9. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
10. What does Mrs. Hitchcock know about Billy Hicks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare Musgrave's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Musgrave hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events change Musgrave's ideas about life?
3) How has Musgrave's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)