|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bargee say the soldiers have come to do?
2. What does Sparky sing a song about?
3. What kind of gun does the Bargee say he can get Walsh?
4. How does Musgrave tell the soldiers to act in the pub?
5. Who tells Bargee to calm down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1?
2. How does Musgrave react to the collier's anger towards him?
3. What does Mrs. Hitchcock know about Billy Hicks?
4. What does Attercliffe raise up from the box?
5. How does Musgrave the calm the riot?
6. Why does Mrs. Hitchcock think Musgrave got his logic wrong?
7. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
8. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
9. What does Musgrave talk about in his sleep?
10. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about Attercliffe's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)