Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave want to purify the town of?
2. What does the Mayor give Musgrave permission to do?
3. Who does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcock not to mention to the other soldiers?
4. What do the colliers tell the soldiers is their business?
5. What does the pugnacious collier say Musgrave is in spite of having stripes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musgrave think they can make the Collier's hate disappear?
2. How does the Bargee start the celebration at the end of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
3. How does the Bargee offer to help Walsh?
4. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
5. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
6. What does Musgrave say is his recruitment police?
7. What is the Bargee's opinion on the soldiers?
8. How do Musgrave and Attercliffe try to stop Hurst?
9. What does Musgrave claim is his mission?
10. What does Annie tell the crowd about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)