|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave insist he and Walsh are?
2. What does the Mayor discuss with the Parson?
3. What does the Mayor give Musgrave permission to do?
4. What does the Bargee say the soldiers have come to do?
5. What does the Mayor plan to use the soldiers for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Bargee's opinion on the soldiers?
2. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
3. Why does Hurst refuse Annie's advances?
4. What does Attercliffe raise up from the box?
5. What signs are there in the town to suggest the soldiers are unwelcome?
6. How does Sparky try to get Annie to come to his room?
7. What do Musgrave and his men argue about in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. What does Musgrave demonstrate during his speech in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1?
9. Why does Musgrave refuse to recruit men who have caused tension in the town?
10. What do Sparky. Hurst and Attercliffe do while they wait for Musgrave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and outline their influence on Musgrave's life:
1) The army
Essay Topic 3
Compare Musgrave's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Musgrave hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events change Musgrave's ideas about life?
3) How has Musgrave's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)