|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave do when Annie arrives?
2. What does Attercliffe tell Musgrave they have a right to know?
3. How does Musgrave tell the soldiers to act in the pub?
4. What does Sparky sing a song about?
5. What does Sparky sing a song about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hitchcock tell Musgrave about the Bargee and the dragoons?
2. How does the mayor deal with the rioting?
3. What does Attercliffe raise up from the box?
4. Why does Hurst refuse Annie's advances?
5. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
6. How does Musgrave think they can make the Collier's hate disappear?
7. What does the parson say about the army in his speech?
8. Why does Musgrave refuse to recruit men who have caused tension in the town?
9. How does Musgrave's situation become precarious in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
10. What does the fact that the Bargee refers to himself as Old Joe say about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and outline their influence on Musgrave's life:
1) The army
Essay Topic 3
How have the soldiers in the play been affected by war? Is Arden's portrayal of what war can do to people accurate?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)