|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor discuss with the Parson?
2. What does Musgrave do when Annie arrives?
3. What does Musgrave do as Sparky undresses?
4. Where do Sparky, Hurst and Attercliffe wait?
5. What does the Mayor plan to use the soldiers for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hitchcock know about Billy Hicks?
2. What is the killing cycle Musgrave talks about in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
3. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
4. What does the Parson warn Musgrave?
5. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 1.
6. What does Musgrave demonstrate during his speech in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1?
7. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
8. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
9. Why does Mrs. Hitchcock think Musgrave got his logic wrong?
10. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about redemption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Arden's argument.
1) How does he introduce his ideas?
2) How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3) What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Arden's argument?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)