|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Billy Hicks have a relationship with?
2. Who does Musgrave say the soldiers have come to expose?
3. What does Attercliffe report to Musgrave?
4. What does Musgrave insist he and Walsh are?
5. What does Mrs. Hitchcock sing a song about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie tell the crowd about the soldiers?
2. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
3. Why does Attercliffe say he became a soldier?
4. How does Sparky try to get Annie to come to his room?
5. What does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcok about the army when she wakes him from his dream?
6. What does Hurst tell Musgrave in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
7. How does the Bargee start the celebration at the end of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
8. Why does Hurst blame people like the mayor and parson for war?
9. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
10. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his play.
1. The British army
2. Town life
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)