|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurst remind Musgrave?
2. What does the Parson say soldiers should serve with?
3. What does Musgrave order his soldiers to do?
4. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
5. What does Sparky sing a song about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurst tell Musgrave in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
2. Who is Old Crooked Joe?
3. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
4. Why does Musgrave refuse to let the townspeople go home?
5. How does Musgrave's situation become precarious in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
6. How does Musgrave the calm the riot?
7. What does Musgrave say in his speech in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Why does Mrs. Hitchcock think Musgrave got his logic wrong?
9. How do Musgrave and Attercliffe try to stop Hurst?
10. What do Musgrave and his men argue about in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Musgrave's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Musgrave hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events change Musgrave's ideas about life?
3) How has Musgrave's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How have the soldiers in the play been affected by war? Is Arden's portrayal of what war can do to people accurate?
Essay Topic 3
How did Arden view the 1950s? What impact have his views had on literature as a whole? Has that impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)