|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sparky joke the soldiers beds have been made up?
2. What instrument does the Bargee play?
3. Who does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcock not to mention to the other soldiers?
4. Who tells the Parson the soldiers have arrived?
5. How does Musgrave tell the soldiers to act in the pub?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
2. What does the parson say about the army in his speech?
3. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
4. How do the Parson and the Bargee think the soldiers could be useful?
5. Why does the constable want Mrs. Hitchcock to close her bar?
6. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about redemption?
7. What do the Bargee and Musgrave talk about as they prepare to cast off?
8. What signs are there in the town to suggest the soldiers are unwelcome?
9. What does Mrs. Hitchcock tell Musgrave about the Bargee and the dragoons?
10. What do Musgrave and his men argue about in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)