Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave want to purify the town of?
2. What does the Mayor give Musgrave permission to do?
3. Who does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcock not to mention to the other soldiers?
4. What do the colliers tell the soldiers is their business?
5. What does the pugnacious collier say Musgrave is in spite of having stripes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musgrave think they can make the Collier's hate disappear?
2. How does the Bargee start the celebration at the end of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
3. How does the Bargee offer to help Walsh?
4. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
5. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
6. What does Musgrave say is his recruitment police?
7. What is the Bargee's opinion on the soldiers?
8. How do Musgrave and Attercliffe try to stop Hurst?
9. What does Musgrave claim is his mission?
10. What does Annie tell the crowd about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Musgrave's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Musgrave hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events change Musgrave's ideas about life?
3) How has Musgrave's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)