|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Attecliffe, Sparky and Hurst have to sleep?
2. What does Mrs. Hitchcock say the men on strike are destroying?
3. Who does Annie flirt with?
4. What does the Bargee whisper as Musgrave leaves?
5. Who tells the soldiers it is time to close?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musgrave the calm the riot?
2. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
3. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
4. How does Musgrave react to Attercliffe's conversation?
5. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
6. What does Hurst remind Musgrave about their current situation?
7. What are the mayor's plans?
8. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about redemption?
9. What does Mrs. Hitchcock know about Billy Hicks?
10. Describe the scene at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)