|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave say the soldiers' only right is swinging from the end of?
2. What does Musgrave say Walsh has to do to see the truth?
3. Who does Parson hope the soldiers will recruit?
4. In what does Mrs. Hitchcock try to convince the parson to intervene?
5. What does the Mayor say every recruit will receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hurst refuse Annie's advances?
2. Why does Musgrave refuse to recruit men who have caused tension in the town?
3. How do the Parson and the Bargee think the soldiers could be useful?
4. What does Attercliffe sing about at the end of the play?
5. What does Mrs. Hitchcock tell Musgrave about the Bargee and the dragoons?
6. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
7. What does the Parson warn Musgrave?
8. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
9. What do Sparky. Hurst and Attercliffe do while they wait for Musgrave?
10. What does Hurst tell Musgrave in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his play. 1. The British army 2. Town life 3. Deserters
Essay Topic 2Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does uphold the views he expresses in the play in his own life?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)