|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the colliers tell the soldiers is their business?
2. Where does Musgrave invite the colliers?
3. Who do the soldiers and Mrs. Hitchcock drink a toast to?
4. What does Attercliffe tell Musgrave they have a right to know?
5. Who does Sparky say will pay for the rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hitchcock tell Musgrave about the Bargee and the dragoons?
2. What are Mrs. Hitchcock and the Parson's opinion of the strike?
3. Why does Hurst blame people like the mayor and parson for war?
4. What does Musgrave pray for at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1?
6. Why does Hurst refuse Annie's advances?
7. What does Annie tell the crowd about the soldiers?
8. How do Musgrave and Attercliffe try to stop Hurst?
9. Why does Musgrave refuse to let the townspeople go home?
10. What do Musgrave and his men argue about in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does uphold the views he expresses in the play in his own life?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Compare Musgrave's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Musgrave hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events change Musgrave's ideas about life?
3) How has Musgrave's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)