|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters get into a fight in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Musgrave do as Sparky undresses?
3. What does the Bargee say the soldiers have come to do?
4. Who are the characters waiting for?
5. What does Attercliffe tell Musgrave they have a right to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mayor deal with the rioting?
2. Why does Attercliffe say he became a soldier?
3. How does Attercliffe kill Sparky?
4. Why does Musgrave not want Mrs. Hitchcock to mention Hicks to his men?
5. Why does Mrs. Hitchcock think Musgrave got his logic wrong?
6. How does Musgrave deal with Sparky's death?
7. Why does the constable want Mrs. Hitchcock to close her bar?
8. What does Musgrave pray for at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. How does Musgrave think they can make the Collier's hate disappear?
10. What do Hurst and Attercliffe tell the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have the soldiers in the play been affected by war? Is Arden's portrayal of what war can do to people accurate?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)