|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
2. What does Attercliffe tell Musgrave they have a right to know?
3. What does the pugnacious collier say Musgrave is in spite of having stripes?
4. Who does the slow collier dance with?
5. What kind of song does Annie sing to Musgrave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Musgrave react to the collier's anger towards him?
2. What does Sparky say their mission is?
3. Why does Hurst say he joined Musgrave in his mission?
4. How does Sparky try to get Annie to come to his room?
5. What does Musgrave pray for at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
6. How do the Parson and the Bargee think the soldiers could be useful?
7. Describe the setting in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1?
8. Why does Musgrave refuse to recruit men who have caused tension in the town?
9. What does Musgrave demonstrate during his speech in Act 3, Scene 1, Part 1?
10. Why does Musgrave not want Mrs. Hitchcock to mention Hicks to his men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his play.
1. The British army
2. Town life
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against war? What are Arden's opinions on war and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Arden?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)