|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurst tell Annie to do when she moves towards him?
(a) To get undressed.
(b) To make tea.
(c) To get into bed.
(d) To go away.
2. What does Sparky sing a song about?
(d) The army.
3. What is the name of the pub landlady?
(a) Fran Jackson.
(b) Mrs. Hitchcock.
(c) Mrs. Davison.
(d) Janet Yearly.
4. Who arrives to take the soldiers' crates up the canal?
(a) The ferryman.
(b) The bargee.
(c) The captain.
(d) The second mate.
5. What kind of trick does Sparky show Annie?
(a) A drink trick.
(b) A card trick.
(c) A paper trick.
(d) A money trick.
6. What does the Mayor say every recruit will receive?
(a) A badge.
(c) A gun.
(d) A key to the town.
7. What does Sparky sing a song about?
(d) Army life.
8. Who tells the Parson the soldiers have arrived?
(c) Mrs. Hitchcock.
(d) The Bargee.
9. Where did the yellow-haired boy go off to?
(c) The war.
(d) The King's castle.
10. What does Musgrave order his soldiers to do?
(a) Investigate the town.
(b) Bring in the weapons.
(c) Find some fire wood.
(d) Leave the town.
11. What instrument announces the soldiers' arrival?
(a) A trombone.
(b) A trumpet.
(c) A drum.
(d) A gong.
12. Which two characters get into a fight in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Musgrave and Walsh.
(b) The bargee and Crooked Joe.
(c) The slow collier and the pugnacious collier.
(d) Sparky and Hurst.
13. What does Musgrave say Walsh has to do to see the truth?
14. What do Hurst and Attercliffe play as they wait?
15. What is the main industry in the part of the country the soldiers are visiting?
(a) Gold mining.
(b) Diamond mining.
(c) Steel mining.
(d) Coal mining.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musgrave say the soldiers' only right is swinging from the end of?
2. Who does Musgrave say the soldiers have come to expose?
3. In what does Mrs. Hitchcock try to convince the parson to intervene?
4. Who does Sparky say will pay for the rooms?
5. What does the Mayor discuss with the Parson?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)