|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sparky say was his friend?
(a) Rob Jones.
(b) David Hirst.
(c) Jackson Jones.
(d) Billy Hicks.
2. What does the Parson think will begin now that the soldiers are in town?
3. How does Walsh refer to his friends in the bar?
4. What does Musgrave do when Annie arrives?
(a) Goes to visit Mrs. Hitchcock.
(b) Loads his gun.
(d) Blows out his candle.
5. What is the main industry in the part of the country the soldiers are visiting?
(a) Coal mining.
(b) Steel mining.
(c) Gold mining.
(d) Diamond mining.
6. Who tells the Parson the soldiers have arrived?
(a) Mrs. Hitchcock.
(b) The Bargee.
7. What does Musgrave's long speech remind the soldiers of?
(a) Their families.
(b) Their need for God.
(c) Their purpose.
(d) Their need for discipline.
8. What do the Bargee and the two colliers mock?
(a) Military drills.
(b) Government officials.
(c) Religious ceremonies.
(d) War songs.
9. Who does Hurst have coming to visit him?
(b) Mrs. Hitchcock.
10. What does Musgrave say the soldiers' only right is swinging from the end of?
(a) An angel wing.
(b) A noose.
(c) A donkey tail.
(d) A whip.
11. Whose room do Spark and Hurst see light coming from?
(c) Mrs. Hitchcock's.
(d) The bargees.
12. Which two characters get into a fight in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Sparky and Hurst.
(b) Musgrave and Walsh.
(c) The slow collier and the pugnacious collier.
(d) The bargee and Crooked Joe.
13. What does Musgrave insist he and Walsh are?
14. Who does Musgrave tell Mrs. Hitchcock not to mention to the other soldiers?
(a) The Parson.
(c) The Mayor.
15. Who arrives to take the soldiers' crates up the canal?
(a) The ferryman.
(b) The bargee.
(c) The second mate.
(d) The captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor say they will try if his idea fails?
2. What does the pugnacious collier say Musgrave is in spite of having stripes?
3. What kind of gun does Attercliffe say is loaded?
4. What is the name of the pub landlady?
5. What do the colliers tell the soldiers is their business?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)