|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to enlist, much to the surprise of everyone?
2. Who do the boys overpower to dig up a special item?
3. How many chin-ups is Gene told to do?
4. Finny admits that he chose not to believe in the war because he couldn't ________ in it.
5. Gene feels ____ when he trains with Finny.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Finny say about the war?
2. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
3. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
4. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
5. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
6. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
7. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
8. What does Gene conclude about Leper's admittance that he escaped?
9. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
10. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene when Finny and Gene are on the beach playing hooky is a touching one, though it seems while it is very important to both boys, the reactions are different from what the reader expects.
Part 1: Describe what happens between Gene and Finny when they are on the beach.
Part 2: Why can't Gene respond to Finny's statement?
Part 3: What does this scene seem to reveal to Gene (and to the reader) about Finny?
Essay Topic 2
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The death of Finny is a scene that shocks the reader, and yet at the same time, it almost seems a blessing for this character.
Part 1: Why was Finny's original accident the worst thing that could have happened to him?
Part 2: How does Finny handle his initial accident as compared to his second accident?
Part 3: Do you think the death of Finny was necessary to tell this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)