|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gene kick over during his argument with Leper?
2. Who is accused of being a naturalist?
3. Who decides to enlist, much to the surprise of everyone?
4. What do Gene and the others do to help the troops?
5. What are the boys covered in after doing work by the tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
2. Why do the boys ridicule Quackenbush?
3. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
4. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
5. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
6. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
7. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
8. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
9. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
10. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The tree by the river is the site of many victories and one foreboding accident. Juxtaposing nature with tragedy seems to cause the reader to react more strongly than they might have had the accident occurred in another setting.
Part 1: What might the symbolism of the tree mean in the story? What might the tree represent to the characters and to the plot?
Part 2: Describe the victories that occur at the place of the tree.
Part 3: How does the tree affect each of the main characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)