|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the students at Devon are seeking choices to enlist that yield the smallest amount of _________.
2. Where has the writer of the cryptic telegram gone?
3. Whose memory is considered to be perfect?
4. Finny says he can detect conspiracy and others can not because he has ____________.
5. Who does Gene spend more time with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
2. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
3. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
4. What does Gene conclude about Leper's admittance that he escaped?
5. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
6. What does Gene realize about Finny as he is being carried away by the others?
7. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
8. What does Finny say about the war?
9. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
10. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to note that parents aren't mentioned often in this story - only Brinker's dad and Leper's mother are introduced fully.
Part 1: Describe Brinker's father.
Part 2: Describe Leper's mother.
Part 3: What do these characters seem to say about the differences between the older and the younger generations?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the war and enlisting seems to be on every boy's mind as they progress through the novel.
Part 1: List the characters who state they want to enlist in the war effort.
Part 2: Which of these characters actually do enlist in the war effort?
Part 3: What does the act of enlisting seem to symbolize for the boys in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Leper is certainly a compelling character in this novel, causing the reader to be diverted from the stories of Finny and Gene from time to time.
Part 1: Why do you think Leper got his nickname? What does this seem to say about his personality and reputation?
Part 2: Why do you think Leper is a significant character in this story? What is his purpose in the story?
Part 3: Is Leper a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)