|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Finny's response to Gene's visit?
2. Gene notes that Finny is no uncomfortable with Gene __________ him.
3. Finny says he can detect conspiracy and others can not because he has ____________.
4. Who is waiting for Gene when he returns to his dorm room?
5. Brinker laments that ________ of their class will be unable to participate in the war.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
2. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
3. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
4. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
5. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
6. What does Finny say about the war?
7. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
8. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
9. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
10. What does Gene realize about Finny as he is being carried away by the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Leper is certainly a compelling character in this novel, causing the reader to be diverted from the stories of Finny and Gene from time to time.
Part 1: Why do you think Leper got his nickname? What does this seem to say about his personality and reputation?
Part 2: Why do you think Leper is a significant character in this story? What is his purpose in the story?
Part 3: Is Leper a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)