|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Finny insist must have made Gene bounce the branch that day?
2. Leper insists that Gene must think he is a __________.
3. What does Finny accuse Gene of wanting to do?
4. What is Finny not ready to get back into?
5. Who interrupts one of Gene's training sessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
2. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
3. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
4. What does the cryptic telegram reveal?
5. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
6. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
7. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
8. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
9. What does Finny say about the war?
10. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leper is certainly a compelling character in this novel, causing the reader to be diverted from the stories of Finny and Gene from time to time.
Part 1: Why do you think Leper got his nickname? What does this seem to say about his personality and reputation?
Part 2: Why do you think Leper is a significant character in this story? What is his purpose in the story?
Part 3: Is Leper a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When one first reads "A Separate Peace," it seems Finny and Gene could not be more different in terms of their lives, goals, and outlooks. Is this really the case?
Part 1: Compare and contract Finny and Gene.
Part 2: How does the friendship between Finny and Gene change during the book?
Part 3: Would you say that Finny and Gene are more alike or more different? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)