|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chin-ups is Gene told to do?
2. Who decides to enlist, much to the surprise of everyone?
3. What are the boys covered in after doing work by the tracks?
4. How does Gene make nice with the answer to #140?
5. Who is impressed with the influence it must have taken Gene to get a room all to himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gene conclude about Leper's admittance that he escaped?
2. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
3. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
4. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
5. What does Finny say about the war?
6. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
7. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
8. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
9. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
10. When the students of Devon are looking at different options for military recruitment, what is guiding their decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to note that parents aren't mentioned often in this story - only Brinker's dad and Leper's mother are introduced fully.
Part 1: Describe Brinker's father.
Part 2: Describe Leper's mother.
Part 3: What do these characters seem to say about the differences between the older and the younger generations?
Essay Topic 2
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
Essay Topic 3
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)