|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the person in #119 tells the boys they should be focusing on war, what does Finny respond?
2. Who starts a trend of jokes about the character in #122?
3. What happened to cause #166?
4. Who do the boys fetch to give first aid to Finny?
5. What has Brinker assembled in the location answer in #153?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in the Butt Room.
2. How does Finny response when Gene sneaks in to visit him?
3. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
4. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
5. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
6. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
7. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
8. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
9. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
10. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to note that parents aren't mentioned often in this story - only Brinker's dad and Leper's mother are introduced fully.
Part 1: Describe Brinker's father.
Part 2: Describe Leper's mother.
Part 3: What do these characters seem to say about the differences between the older and the younger generations?
Essay Topic 2
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning, we learn that Gene will be the narrator from the story, but as with any narrator, a reader must question whether they can be trusted or not.
Part 1: Do you think Gene is a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: In realizing that Gene might not be the most reliable narrator, how does this change your perception of the story and of Gene and Finny?
Part 3: What other character might prove to be a more reliable narrator? Support your answer.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)