|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gene notes that Finny is no uncomfortable with Gene __________ him.
2. What is Finny wearing now?
3. Where is Leper standing as Gene leaves?
4. Whose memory is considered to be perfect?
5. Brinker says that Gene might have a _______ in not clearing up the details of Finny's accident.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gene realize about Finny as he is being carried away by the others?
2. When the students of Devon are looking at different options for military recruitment, what is guiding their decision?
3. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
4. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
5. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
6. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
7. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
8. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
9. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
10. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a vast difference in the personalities of the boys between the Summer and Fall sessions.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the rules at Devon at the Summer and Fall Sessions.
Part 2: How do the characters change between these two sessions?
Part 3: What does the change between these two sessions seem to symbolize in reference to the time period and the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The two rivers in the book provide different elements and symbols to the storytelling.
Part 1: List the names of the two rivers in the novel and describe the location of each.
Part 2: What does each river seem to symbolize for the story?
Part 3: How is Gene comparable to each river?
Essay Topic 3
It's interesting to note that parents aren't mentioned often in this story - only Brinker's dad and Leper's mother are introduced fully.
Part 1: Describe Brinker's father.
Part 2: Describe Leper's mother.
Part 3: What do these characters seem to say about the differences between the older and the younger generations?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)