|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Finny insist must have made Gene bounce the branch that day?
2. Who sends Gene a note to gather Finny's things?
3. What does Finny want to train Gene for?
4. Who do the boys fetch to give first aid to Finny?
5. What is Finny's response to Gene's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happens when the boys realize what Finny is doing in #49?
2. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
3. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
4. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
5. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
6. What does the cryptic telegram reveal?
7. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
8. Why do the boys ridicule Quackenbush?
9. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
10. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Finny and Gene is a complex one, even bordering on codependent in nature, with one having to help the other in order for the other to cope.
Part 1: Describe the ways in which Gene relies on Finny for his sense of self esteem, and vice versa with Finny.
Part 2: Would you consider their friendship healthy or unhealthy? Support your answer.
Part 3: What changes might be made to their friendship that might make it more positive?
Essay Topic 2
The two rivers in the book provide different elements and symbols to the storytelling.
Part 1: List the names of the two rivers in the novel and describe the location of each.
Part 2: What does each river seem to symbolize for the story?
Part 3: How is Gene comparable to each river?
Essay Topic 3
The trial that seeks to prove Gene's guilt in Finny's accident is a haunting scene that seems to have numerous outcomes, beyond that which occurs in the Assembly Room.
Part 1: Describe what happens during the trial scene between Finny, Gene, and the others present.
Part 2: How does the trial affect Gene?
Part 3: How does the trial affect Finny?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)