|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to cause #166?
2. Finny says he can detect conspiracy and others can not because he has ____________.
3. Where is Leper hiding?
4. What does Dr. Stanpole plan to do later that day?
5. What does Finny want to train Gene for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
2. What does Gene realize about Finny as he is being carried away by the others?
3. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
4. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
5. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
6. What does Finny say about the war?
7. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
8. How does Finny response when Gene sneaks in to visit him?
9. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
10. What eventually happens when the boys realize what Finny is doing in #49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Finny and Gene is a complex one, even bordering on codependent in nature, with one having to help the other in order for the other to cope.
Part 1: Describe the ways in which Gene relies on Finny for his sense of self esteem, and vice versa with Finny.
Part 2: Would you consider their friendship healthy or unhealthy? Support your answer.
Part 3: What changes might be made to their friendship that might make it more positive?
Essay Topic 3
While Gene is the narrator of the story, it seems most of the action and reaction in the story is related to Finny.
Part 1: Why is Gene the more important character in this novel?
Part 2: Why doesn't Finny make sense as the main character in this book?
Part 3: Is there another character you feel is even more important? Support your answer.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)