|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, at first, does Gene conclude that Leper has done?
2. Gene blames Leper's madness on the _______.
3. What does Dr. Stanpole plan to do later that day?
4. Who interrupts one of Gene's training sessions?
5. Brinker says that Gene might have a _______ in not clearing up the details of Finny's accident.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gene realize about Finny as he is being carried away by the others?
2. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
3. What does Gene conclude about Leper's admittance that he escaped?
4. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
5. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
6. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
7. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
8. How does Finny response when Gene sneaks in to visit him?
9. Why do the boys ridicule Quackenbush?
10. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
Essay Topic 2
Competition seems to be another large theme in this book, with the boys competing with each other for anything and everything they can.
Part 1: List three specific competitions the boys engage in.
Part 2: What does the competitive nature of Gene and Finny say about their friendship?
Part 3: Why do you think the author made Gene the one that excels in academics while Finny excels in sports?
Essay Topic 3
There is a vast difference in the personalities of the boys between the Summer and Fall sessions.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the rules at Devon at the Summer and Fall Sessions.
Part 2: How do the characters change between these two sessions?
Part 3: What does the change between these two sessions seem to symbolize in reference to the time period and the characters?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)