|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces he is going to enlist 'tomorrow'?
2. Who comes into the room after the commotion between Gene and Leper?
3. What, at first, does Gene conclude that Leper has done?
4. Where has the writer of the cryptic telegram gone?
5. What does Gene not do when he goes with Brinker to the answer to #98?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
2. Describe the scene in the Butt Room.
3. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
4. What does Gene do when Finny expresses his shock and disappointment in the idea of Finny enlisting?
5. What does Finny do during the snowball fight with Gene and the others?
6. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
7. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
8. What does Finny say about the war?
9. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
10. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning, we learn that Gene will be the narrator from the story, but as with any narrator, a reader must question whether they can be trusted or not.
Part 1: Do you think Gene is a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: In realizing that Gene might not be the most reliable narrator, how does this change your perception of the story and of Gene and Finny?
Part 3: What other character might prove to be a more reliable narrator? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
Essay Topic 3
Leper is certainly a compelling character in this novel, causing the reader to be diverted from the stories of Finny and Gene from time to time.
Part 1: Why do you think Leper got his nickname? What does this seem to say about his personality and reputation?
Part 2: Why do you think Leper is a significant character in this story? What is his purpose in the story?
Part 3: Is Leper a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)