|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Finny decide to throw?
2. Who does Gene spend more time with?
3. Most of the students at Devon are seeking choices to enlist that yield the smallest amount of _________.
4. Finny says he can detect conspiracy and others can not because he has ____________.
5. What did Leper want to avoid by leaving the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happens when the boys realize what Finny is doing in #49?
2. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
3. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
4. What does Finny decide to do in order to pass the time in the winter?
5. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
6. What does Gene conclude about Leper's admittance that he escaped?
7. What does the cryptic telegram reveal?
8. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
9. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
10. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Finny and Gene is a complex one, even bordering on codependent in nature, with one having to help the other in order for the other to cope.
Part 1: Describe the ways in which Gene relies on Finny for his sense of self esteem, and vice versa with Finny.
Part 2: Would you consider their friendship healthy or unhealthy? Support your answer.
Part 3: What changes might be made to their friendship that might make it more positive?
Essay Topic 2
Finny's fall becomes the focus of the story, and one that affects each of the characters in a different way.
Part 1: Describe the events that led up to Finny's accident.
Part 2: How is Finny affected by the fall? Compare and contrast his personality before and after the fall.
Part 3: How is Gene affected by Finny's fall? Compare and contrast his personality and actions before and after the fall.
Essay Topic 3
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)