|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the target of the fight during this chapter, once it's realized he continues to change sides?
2. Who is impressed with the influence it must have taken Gene to get a room all to himself?
3. What does Leper confess to having?
4. Most of the students at Devon are seeking choices to enlist that yield the smallest amount of _________.
5. Who do the boys overpower to dig up a special item?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the secret Christmas Location that Leper refers to?
2. What does Finny say about the war?
3. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
4. What eventually happens when the boys realize what Finny is doing in #49?
5. What do Gene and the other boys volunteer to do to support the war effort?
6. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
7. Describe the scene in the Butt Room.
8. What does Brinker say to Gene about his new living situation?
9. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
10. What was the result of Finny's accident this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Finny and Gene is a complex one, even bordering on codependent in nature, with one having to help the other in order for the other to cope.
Part 1: Describe the ways in which Gene relies on Finny for his sense of self esteem, and vice versa with Finny.
Part 2: Would you consider their friendship healthy or unhealthy? Support your answer.
Part 3: What changes might be made to their friendship that might make it more positive?
Essay Topic 3
Leper is certainly a compelling character in this novel, causing the reader to be diverted from the stories of Finny and Gene from time to time.
Part 1: Why do you think Leper got his nickname? What does this seem to say about his personality and reputation?
Part 2: Why do you think Leper is a significant character in this story? What is his purpose in the story?
Part 3: Is Leper a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)