|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gene almost miss when they return to school?
2. What do Finny and Gene get for themselves by using forged draft cards?
3. Who is the substitute teacher for the summer?
4. What is the one thing that comes easily to Finny?
5. What does Finny accidentally wear as a belt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the students of Devon are looking at different options for military recruitment, what is guiding their decision?
2. What does Brinker do as a result of Leper's enlistment?
3. What does Finny convince Gene to do that is forbidden by the school?
4. What happens when Gene and Finny decide to try another double jump from the branch?
5. What do the students do when Finny falls down the stairs?
6. Who does Gene describe the tree when he was younger and standing in front of it with other boys?
7. What sport does Finny create in order to make up for the appalling sport in #14?
8. What is one of the main rules for the secret club that Finny and Gene have created?
9. What does Gene offer as an explanation for his disheveled appearance when Finny returns?
10. What does the doctor say about the outcome of Finny's injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Gene is the narrator of the story, it seems most of the action and reaction in the story is related to Finny.
Part 1: Why is Gene the more important character in this novel?
Part 2: Why doesn't Finny make sense as the main character in this book?
Part 3: Is there another character you feel is even more important? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of jealousy is one that comes up often in the story itself. Longing for something that someone else has is natural, but it can have tragic consequences.
Part 1: Describe the jealousy that Gene and Finny feel.
Part 2: What does the jealousy of these two characters seem to cause for them and for their lives?
Part 3: What other ways is jealousy shown to affect the other characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
With World War II looming in the background of this novel, the darker nature of the world outside of Devon is hard to escape.
Part 1: What does World War II symbolize in this novel?
Part 2: What is the significance of World War II to each of the characters in the novel?
Part 3: How does the war relate to the title of this book?
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)