|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Gene tell anyone about Finny's broken record?
2. Who is Gene's main competitor for #59?
3. What does Finny think Gene is still afraid of?
4. Who is impressed with Gene's hard work?
5. What does Gene's boss nickname him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seemed so much larger to Gene, as told by him, when he was younger as opposed to now?
2. What is one of the main rules for the secret club that Finny and Gene have created?
3. What does Gene note when he is making up Finny's bed for him?
4. What does Gene feel about the war that Brinker says was started by older generations but now must be finished by younger generations?
5. What does Finny convince Gene they should do before they head back to Devon?
6. Why does Finny suddenly begin to believe that the war is real?
7. What is Leper's explanation for his desertion of the Army?
8. When Gene and Leper get into an argument, what does Leper accuse Gene of?
9. What happened to Finny as a result of the fall from the branch?
10. Why does Leper decide to enlist in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the war and enlisting seems to be on every boy's mind as they progress through the novel.
Part 1: List the characters who state they want to enlist in the war effort.
Part 2: Which of these characters actually do enlist in the war effort?
Part 3: What does the act of enlisting seem to symbolize for the boys in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The two rivers in the book provide different elements and symbols to the storytelling.
Part 1: List the names of the two rivers in the novel and describe the location of each.
Part 2: What does each river seem to symbolize for the story?
Part 3: How is Gene comparable to each river?
Essay Topic 3
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
This section contains 1,908 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)