|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money do the boys look for to spend on breakfast?
2. What does Finny want Gene to do for him?
3. Who is described as 'lily livered'?
4. What does Finny wear in support of the first Allied bombing?
5. What does Finny convince Gene to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gene the only witness to?
2. As Gene and Finny are getting ready to sleep on the beach, what does Finny reveal to Gene?
3. What seemed so much larger to Gene, as told by him, when he was younger as opposed to now?
4. Who is the narrator of "A Separate Peace"?
5. Who are the four boys that are with Gene as he stands by the tree?
6. What does Gene realize about the rivalry between Finny and himself?
7. Describe the opening scene of Devon when the Fall Session convenes.
8. What sport does Finny think is a horrible addition to the summer athletics program?
9. What group do the two boys decide to form while they are down by the tree after tea time?
10. What happens when Gene and Finny decide to try another double jump from the branch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tree by the river is the site of many victories and one foreboding accident. Juxtaposing nature with tragedy seems to cause the reader to react more strongly than they might have had the accident occurred in another setting.
Part 1: What might the symbolism of the tree mean in the story? What might the tree represent to the characters and to the plot?
Part 2: Describe the victories that occur at the place of the tree.
Part 3: How does the tree affect each of the main characters in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
The trial that seeks to prove Gene's guilt in Finny's accident is a haunting scene that seems to have numerous outcomes, beyond that which occurs in the Assembly Room.
Part 1: Describe what happens during the trial scene between Finny, Gene, and the others present.
Part 2: How does the trial affect Gene?
Part 3: How does the trial affect Finny?
Essay Topic 3
There is a vast difference in the personalities of the boys between the Summer and Fall sessions.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the rules at Devon at the Summer and Fall Sessions.
Part 2: How do the characters change between these two sessions?
Part 3: What does the change between these two sessions seem to symbolize in reference to the time period and the characters?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)