|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment is issued as a result of Finny and Gene missing dinner?
2. What is Gene referring to when he describes a steely black steeple?
3. Who hosts the tea later in the afternoon?
4. How does Gene bounce the branch?
5. Who lives across the hall from Gene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sport does Finny think is a horrible addition to the summer athletics program?
2. Who is the narrator of "A Separate Peace"?
3. What does Finny say when Gene asks him what he remembers about the fall?
4. What does Finny convince Gene they should do before they head back to Devon?
5. What does Finny convince Gene to do that is forbidden by the school?
6. As Gene and Finny are getting ready to sleep on the beach, what does Finny reveal to Gene?
7. What is Gene the only witness to?
8. Who are the four boys that are with Gene as he stands by the tree?
9. What happens when Gene and Finny decide to try another double jump from the branch?
10. What happened to Finny as a result of the fall from the branch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Finny is a scene that shocks the reader, and yet at the same time, it almost seems a blessing for this character.
Part 1: Why was Finny's original accident the worst thing that could have happened to him?
Part 2: How does Finny handle his initial accident as compared to his second accident?
Part 3: Do you think the death of Finny was necessary to tell this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning, we learn that Gene will be the narrator from the story, but as with any narrator, a reader must question whether they can be trusted or not.
Part 1: Do you think Gene is a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: In realizing that Gene might not be the most reliable narrator, how does this change your perception of the story and of Gene and Finny?
Part 3: What other character might prove to be a more reliable narrator? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The trial that seeks to prove Gene's guilt in Finny's accident is a haunting scene that seems to have numerous outcomes, beyond that which occurs in the Assembly Room.
Part 1: Describe what happens during the trial scene between Finny, Gene, and the others present.
Part 2: How does the trial affect Gene?
Part 3: How does the trial affect Finny?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)