|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Finny remember Gene wearing during the fall?
2. What kind of record did Finny break?
3. What happens when Gene turns to Finny to delay the jump?
4. Who is impressed with Gene's hard work?
5. Who is Finny's doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Finny say when Gene asks him what he remembers about the fall?
2. What happens as Gene loses his balance on the branch with Finny?
3. When Gene is working hard to catch up on his trigonometry, what does Finny accuse him of?
4. Who does Gene describe the tree when he was younger and standing in front of it with other boys?
5. What does Gene fear Finny is trying to do when Finny tries to waste Gene's time?
6. What is Finny's mistake that he makes when having tea with the substitute headmaster Mr. Patch-Wilders?
7. What is one of the main rules for the secret club that Finny and Gene have created?
8. What does Gene remember as he pauses near the river on his way to an appointment at the Crew House?
9. Who are the four boys that are with Gene as he stands by the tree?
10. What does Gene realize about the rivalry between Finny and himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is Gene who feels responsible for Finny's fall, and the guilt follows him throughout the book.
Part 1: What happened to case Gene's guilt about Finny's fall?
Part 2: Do you think Gene caused Finny to fall? Why or why not?
Part 3: Even though Finny tells Gene that it wasn't his fault, why can't Gene let go of his guilt?
Essay Topic 2
There is a vast difference in the personalities of the boys between the Summer and Fall sessions.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the rules at Devon at the Summer and Fall Sessions.
Part 2: How do the characters change between these two sessions?
Part 3: What does the change between these two sessions seem to symbolize in reference to the time period and the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The perception of the war is one that seems to change during the novel as well as fluctuate from the start to the finish of the novel.
Part 1: List the people in the novel who support the war. How do they show this support?
Part 2: List the people in the novel who do not support the war. How do they show their displeasure?
Part 3: What do you think the boys think of the war in general? Is this a 'good' or a 'bad' war? Support your answer.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)