|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dussardier consider to be the source of all evil?
2. Who gives Sénécal a job after he leaves Arnoux's factory?
3. What is Cécile's relationship to Monsieur Dambreuse?
4. On whose behalf is the benefit performance to which Mademoiselle Vatnaz sells Frederic three tickets?
5. When Frederic returns to Paris to care for the injured Dussardier, who does he find nursing him in his apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frederic think when he sees how affected Louise Roque is by his visit? Why is Monsieur Roque interested in seeing his daughter marry Frederic?
2. What is revealed about Frederic during the dinner party at the Dambreuse's house in Chapter 2 of Chapter Three that Louise Roque was not aware of? What does she suggest to Frederic after the party? What is his response?
3. What does Frederic do with the fifteen thousand francs he requested from his solicitor to invest in Deslauriers' project? How does he explain his inability to invest this sum to Deslauriers?
4. How does Frederic respond when Pellerin asks him to pay for the painting of Rosanette he commissioned? What becomes of the painting in the end?
5. What does Mademoiselle Vatnaz believe the role of the woman to be? What is Rosanette's position on the subject?
6. What significant political event takes place at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? What effect does this event have on the people of Paris?
7. What happens to Marie Arnoux's son Eugene at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? How does Marie interpret this event?
8. What does Frederic think about while he gazes at Monsieur Dambreuse's corpse? What inspires him to consider these things?
9. To which club does Dussardier take Frederic to rally support for his candidacy? Who is the chairman of the club? Whom does Regimbart support instead of Frederic?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 3 of Part Three, what is Frederic's attitude towards living with Rosanette? What does he consider the nicest part of the day? Where do they spend it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Revolution of 1848 is an important element in A Sentimental Education. Give an example of how the revolution affects the protagonist and his relationships with other characters. What is the attitude towards the republican government? How does the disillusionment with the new government parallel other disappointments in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Travel is an important theme in A Sentimental Education. Why is travel significant? Whom does the protagonist meet during his travels? How does traveling affect the plot of the novel? Give two examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbol of the cashmere shawl in A Sentimental Education. What does this item represent? What does this purchase imply about Jacques Arnoux? How does this aspect of his personality affect his relationship with his wife?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)