|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the francs that Frederic was going to invest in Deslauriers' project?
2. What position does Deslauriers encourage Frederic to campaign for?
3. What does Dussardier consider to be the source of all evil?
4. What does Pellerin ask Dussardier and Deslauriers to do?
5. Who procures a personal letter from Dambreuse supporting Frederic's candidacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Deslauriers go to visit Marie Arnoux? What news does he give her? What is her reaction?
2. What is happening in the streets of Paris in Chapter 1 of Part Three? What is Frederic's reaction to what he sees?
3. What significant political event takes place at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? What effect does this event have on the people of Paris?
4. How does Monsieur Roque attempt to gain Madame Moreau's favor? How successful is he?
5. What does Mademoiselle Vatnaz believe the role of the woman to be? What is Rosanette's position on the subject?
6. How does the relationship between Frederic and Rosanette change at the end of Part Two? Where does he take her at the end of Chapter 6?
7. To whom does Rosanette first turn to get the four thousand francs she needs to pay off her debts? In the end, who is it that loans the money to Frederic on her behalf? Why?
8. What does Frederic think about while he gazes at Monsieur Dambreuse's corpse? What inspires him to consider these things?
9. How does Frederic respond when Pellerin asks him to pay for the painting of Rosanette he commissioned? What becomes of the painting in the end?
10. What effect does Frederic's paying Rosanette's IOU to Mademoiselle Vatnaz have on the relationship between him and Rosanette? What does he begin to notice about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social class is an important element throughout A Sentimental Education. How does social class affect the relationships between characters in the novel? Give three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator of A Sentimental Education. From what perspective is the novel narrated? How does this affect the major themes of the novel? How does the narrator relate to literary realism?
Essay Topic 3
Marie Arnoux's parasol is an important object in A Sentimental Education. How does this object influence the action of the narrative? How does this object affect the relationship between Marie and Jacques Arnoux? What is the effect this situation has on the protagonist?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)