|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pellerin ask Dussardier and Deslauriers to do?
2. Who does Frederic viciously criticize at Dussardier's party?
3. What does Frederic throw at Cisy after he insults Marie Arnoux?
4. When Frederic returns from visiting Marie Arnoux in Creil, he finds a letter waiting for him from Rosanette inviting him to which event?
5. Why does Madame Dambreuse write three letters to Cécile?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what position does Monsieur Dambreuse persuade Frederic to announce his candidacy? Who ends up with the position?
2. How does Frederic court Madame Dambreuse? What topic of conversation is repeated between the two? How does Frederic feel about Madame Dambreuse in comparison to his other loves?
3. What decision to Frederic make about the Arnouxs upon returning to Paris in Chapter 6 of Part Two? What request hampers his plan?
4. How does Monsieur Roque attempt to gain Madame Moreau's favor? How successful is he?
5. What does Frederic think when he sees how affected Louise Roque is by his visit? Why is Monsieur Roque interested in seeing his daughter marry Frederic?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 3 of Part Three, what is Frederic's attitude towards living with Rosanette? What does he consider the nicest part of the day? Where do they spend it?
7. What is revealed about Frederic during the dinner party at the Dambreuse's house in Chapter 2 of Chapter Three that Louise Roque was not aware of? What does she suggest to Frederic after the party? What is his response?
8. What does Mademoiselle Vatnaz believe the role of the woman to be? What is Rosanette's position on the subject?
9. What does Frederic do with the fifteen thousand francs he requested from his solicitor to invest in Deslauriers' project? How does he explain his inability to invest this sum to Deslauriers?
10. How does Frederic respond when Pellerin asks him to pay for the painting of Rosanette he commissioned? What becomes of the painting in the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbol of the cashmere shawl in A Sentimental Education. What does this item represent? What does this purchase imply about Jacques Arnoux? How does this aspect of his personality affect his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of nostalgia in A Sentimental Education. Which characters express nostalgia for the past? What are they nostalgic for? How does nostalgia relate to the overall message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrait of Rosanette painted by Pellerin. Why is this object significant? How does this object affect Frederic's relationships with other characters? Give at least two examples from the text.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)