|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marie Arnoux retire to after Frederic declares his love to her?
2. When Frederic leaves Deslauriers with his power of attorney, what is the first dishonest scheme Deslauriers considers and immediately discards?
3. Who is traveling in the Victoria and sees Frederic accompanying Rosanette?
4. Who gives Sénécal a job after he leaves Arnoux's factory?
5. What is the new name of Hussonet's paper, L'Art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frederic do with the fifteen thousand francs he requested from his solicitor to invest in Deslauriers' project? How does he explain his inability to invest this sum to Deslauriers?
2. To which club does Dussardier take Frederic to rally support for his candidacy? Who is the chairman of the club? Whom does Regimbart support instead of Frederic?
3. What does Frederic think when he sees how affected Louise Roque is by his visit? Why is Monsieur Roque interested in seeing his daughter marry Frederic?
4. Who interrupts Frederic's romantic reunion with Marie Arnoux? How does Frederic react to this interruption? How does the intruder defend her actions?
5. How does Frederic court Madame Dambreuse? What topic of conversation is repeated between the two? How does Frederic feel about Madame Dambreuse in comparison to his other loves?
6. What decision to Frederic make about the Arnouxs upon returning to Paris in Chapter 6 of Part Two? What request hampers his plan?
7. What does Frederic think about while he gazes at Monsieur Dambreuse's corpse? What inspires him to consider these things?
8. What effect does Frederic's paying Rosanette's IOU to Mademoiselle Vatnaz have on the relationship between him and Rosanette? What does he begin to notice about her?
9. What significant political event takes place at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? What effect does this event have on the people of Paris?
10. What does the painting Frederic comments upon in Dambreuse's house depict? Who painted it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in A Sentimental Education? Where do the important scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Deception is a major theme in A Sentimental Education. Give three examples of deception in the story and explain the consequences for the protagonist. What message is communicated about deception and truth in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in the A Sentimental Education? Compare and contrast the roles of Rosanette, Louise Roque, and Madame Dambreuse to that of Marie Arnoux. In what ways are their roles similar? How are they different?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)