|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money do Hussonet and Deslauriers convince Frederic to invest in their political newspaper?
2. Who is the author of this novel?
3. What title did Dambreuse have that he dropped?
4. Why does Regimbart like to visit cafés and billiard saloons?
5. What is Frederic planning to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Frederic and Deslauriers begin living together in Chapter 5, what is their relationship like? How do they divide the labor and costs of living?
2. Whom does Frederic go to call upon when he first returns to Paris? Why does he have difficulty finding this person? Who helps Frederic locate this person?
3. What is Sénécal's objection to Jacques Arnoux in Chapter 5? What does Sénecal believe the purpose of art to be?
4. Whom does Frederic see when he opens the door to the first class section? What is his impression of this person?
5. Whom does Frederic immediately go to visit when he hears that Jacques Arnoux has gone to Germany? What surprise is waiting for him? Where is the person he was looking for?
6. What are Jacques and Marie Arnoux arguing about when Frederic arrives? How does witnessing this argument affect Frederic's feelings for Marie?
7. What is the relationship between Frederic and Deslauriers? How did it begin? What planes do they have for the future?
8. How does the narrator describe the other people traveling on the ship with Frederic? What do they wear? What are their spirits?
9. Who is the host of the costume party to which Arnoux brings Frederic? What is this person's relationship to Arnoux?
10. What is Deslauriers' reaction to Frederic's love for Madame Arnoux? What is Deslauriers' opinion of Marie Arnoux when he sees her in the Law Courts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of setting in A Sentimental Education? Where do the important scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of friendship in A Sentimental Education? Which of Frederic's friends are loyal and offer him help when he is in need? To whom does Frederic act as a loyal friend? Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Travel is an important theme in A Sentimental Education. Why is travel significant? Whom does the protagonist meet during his travels? How does traveling affect the plot of the novel? Give two examples from the text.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)