|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of this novel?
2. Why does Frederic stop attending class after only two weeks?
3. Why does Sénécal lose his job for the third time?
4. Who does Frederic kiss goodbye before leaving for Paris?
5. Where does Frederic hope to meet Marie Arnoux every time he walks through it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pellerin do for a living? What type of books does he read? What is the secret he is trying to discover? Why?
2. Whom does Frederic go to call upon when he first returns to Paris? Why does he have difficulty finding this person? Who helps Frederic locate this person?
3. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins writing? Who are the main characters? What is it about?
4. What work does Charles Deslauriers do for his father? What unusual physical feature is a result of this work?
5. Whom does Frederic immediately go to visit when he hears that Jacques Arnoux has gone to Germany? What surprise is waiting for him? Where is the person he was looking for?
6. Who is Dussardier? Why is he taken to prison? What does Frederic give him to replace his most prized possession?
7. What is Madame Moreau's background? What aspirations does she have for her son?
8. What is the relationship between Frederic and Deslauriers? How did it begin? What planes do they have for the future?
9. Which of Frederic's friends are invited to his housewarming party? What is their opinion of his new lifestyle?
10. What business proposition do Hussonet and Deslauriers bring to Frederic? How does Frederic respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social class is an important element throughout A Sentimental Education. How does social class affect the relationships between characters in the novel? Give three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Money has a significant role throughout A Sentimental Education. Give three examples from the novel in which money significantly alters the plot of the novel and directly affects the protagonist. How is money a characteristic of the Realist novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of honor presented in A Sentimental Education? Whose honor does Frederic defend in his duel with Cisy? Which characters in the novel can be considered honorable? Why?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)