|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rosanette going with her Russian lover and wants to invite Frederic?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The seaside.
(c) The woods.
(d) The lakes.
2. Where does the Russian prince, Rosanette's new lover, see her for the first time?
(a) Café Anglais.
(c) At the races.
(d) The Alhambra.
3. What does Frederic tell Marie Arnoux is his only goal in life?
4. Which character is arrested in Chapter 4 of Part Two and is charged with attempted assassination?
5. In Chapter 6 of Part Two, what does Frederic swear to Marie Arnoux he will never do?
(a) Stop loving her.
(b) Foreclose on Arnoux.
(c) Get married.
(d) Hide any of Arnoux's secrets from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Dambreuse's funeral mass, who has to tell the congregation when to stand up, when to kneel, and when to sit down again?
2. What does Rosanette reveal her age to be in Chapter 1 of Part Three?
3. Where does Frederic take Rosanette to escape from the chaos of Paris?
4. Who saves Monsieur Dambreuse's life?
5. What lie does Frederic tell Deslauriers to explain what happened to the francs he was going to invest in his project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monsieur Roque attempt to gain Madame Moreau's favor? How successful is he?
2. To whom does Rosanette first turn to get the four thousand francs she needs to pay off her debts? In the end, who is it that loans the money to Frederic on her behalf? Why?
3. What happens to Marie Arnoux's son Eugene at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? How does Marie interpret this event?
4. To which club does Dussardier take Frederic to rally support for his candidacy? Who is the chairman of the club? Whom does Regimbart support instead of Frederic?
5. What effect does Frederic's paying Rosanette's IOU to Mademoiselle Vatnaz have on the relationship between him and Rosanette? What does he begin to notice about her?
6. What does Mademoiselle Vatnaz believe the role of the woman to be? What is Rosanette's position on the subject?
7. What significant political event takes place at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? What effect does this event have on the people of Paris?
8. What does Frederic do with the fifteen thousand francs he requested from his solicitor to invest in Deslauriers' project? How does he explain his inability to invest this sum to Deslauriers?
9. How does Frederic court Madame Dambreuse? What topic of conversation is repeated between the two? How does Frederic feel about Madame Dambreuse in comparison to his other loves?
10. On what pretense does Rosanette convince Frederic to visit her? What is the misunderstanding that makes their visit so uncomfortable?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)