|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sight of the five bodies killed on the boulevard des Capucines being carried through the streets on a cart change?
(a) Hussonet's opinion of the Republic.
(b) The people's mood.
(c) The Constitution.
(d) Frederic's opinion of the monarchy.
2. Who is the chairman of the Club de l'Intelligence?
3. What was the occupation of Rosanette's parents in Croix-Rousse in Lyon?
(a) Circus performers.
(b) Art dealers.
(d) Silk workers.
4. Who is the man who is dressed as a National Guard shako that Frederic meets on the stairs to Rosanette's house?
5. What happens to the francs that Frederic was going to invest in Deslauriers' project?
(a) He loans it to Regimbart.
(b) He loans it to Jacques Arnoux.
(c) He invests it in Dambreuses' company.
(d) He loses it in a card game.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the command post of the Château d'Eau under attack?
2. In Chapter 3 of Part Two, how does Deslauriers believe politics should be treated?
3. What are Frederic and Marie Arnoux doing when Rosanette interrupts them in Chapter 3 of Part Three?
4. Why does Madame Dambreuse write three letters to Cécile?
5. What is the estimated worth of the Dambreuse estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Deslauriers go to visit Marie Arnoux? What news does he give her? What is her reaction?
2. Who interrupts Frederic's romantic reunion with Marie Arnoux? How does Frederic react to this interruption? How does the intruder defend her actions?
3. What significant political event takes place at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? What effect does this event have on the people of Paris?
4. On what pretense does Rosanette convince Frederic to visit her? What is the misunderstanding that makes their visit so uncomfortable?
5. To whom does Rosanette first turn to get the four thousand francs she needs to pay off her debts? In the end, who is it that loans the money to Frederic on her behalf? Why?
6. What does the painting Frederic comments upon in Dambreuse's house depict? Who painted it?
7. What effect does Frederic's paying Rosanette's IOU to Mademoiselle Vatnaz have on the relationship between him and Rosanette? What does he begin to notice about her?
8. How does Frederic court Madame Dambreuse? What topic of conversation is repeated between the two? How does Frederic feel about Madame Dambreuse in comparison to his other loves?
9. How does Frederic respond when Pellerin asks him to pay for the painting of Rosanette he commissioned? What becomes of the painting in the end?
10. How does Monsieur Roque attempt to gain Madame Moreau's favor? How successful is he?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)