|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Alessandri's specialty?
2. What wild behavior of her husband does Marie Arnoux comment to Frederic in Chapter 6 of Part Two?
(a) He has taken a second job to pay off his debts.
(b) He is keeping a factory worker known as the Bordeaux woman.
(c) He is planning to duel with Rosanette's lover.
(d) He is living with Rosanette.
3. Where does Jacques Arnoux take Frederic when he would return unexpectedly and find him visiting Marie?
(a) L'Art Industriel on the Boulevard Montemarte to meet with Hussonet.
(b) The Alhambra in downtown Paris to meet with Rosanette.
(c) His factory in Creil to meet with Sénécal.
(d) A café in the rue Sainte-Anne to meet with Regimbart.
4. What does Frederic begin writing to distract himself from his infatuation with Marie Arnoux?
(a) A History of the French Revolution.
(b) A Treatise on the French Legal Code.
(c) A Treatise on Modern Banking.
(d) A History of the Renaissance.
5. What does Dussardier consider to be the source of all evil?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Frederic and Rosanette dine with Cisy and Hussonet after the races?
2. What does Cisy do as soon as the signal to begin the duel is given?
3. Who procures a personal letter from Dambreuse supporting Frederic's candidacy?
4. Who is exploiting Arnoux in Chapter 3 of Part Three?
5. What weapons do Cisy and Frederic agree to use in their duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who interrupts Frederic's romantic reunion with Marie Arnoux? How does Frederic react to this interruption? How does the intruder defend her actions?
2. To whom does Rosanette first turn to get the four thousand francs she needs to pay off her debts? In the end, who is it that loans the money to Frederic on her behalf? Why?
3. Who is responsible for arranging Frederic's part in the duel with Cisy? What happens to Cisy when the duel begins? How does the duel end?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3 of Part Three, what is Frederic's attitude towards living with Rosanette? What does he consider the nicest part of the day? Where do they spend it?
5. For what position does Monsieur Dambreuse persuade Frederic to announce his candidacy? Who ends up with the position?
6. How does Arnoux's trusting nature lead to his business trouble with the china clay company? How does this mistake affect him?
7. What does the painting Frederic comments upon in Dambreuse's house depict? Who painted it?
8. What does Mademoiselle Vatnaz believe the role of the woman to be? What is Rosanette's position on the subject?
9. What happens to Marie Arnoux's son Eugene at the end of Chapter 6 of Part Two? How does Marie interpret this event?
10. Why does Deslauriers go to visit Marie Arnoux? What news does he give her? What is her reaction?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)