|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dambreuse indicate to Frederic that their meeting has ended?
(a) He closes the door.
(b) He bows.
(c) He shakes his hand.
(d) He asks him to leave.
2. From whom does Frederic receive a second invitation on the same day he receives an invitation to Marie Arnoux's name-day party?
(a) Monsieur Roque.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The Dambreuses.
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. Where does Hussonet tell Frederic that Arnoux is going in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 4, which character sends a letter to Frederic telling him of plans to visit him in Paris?
(a) Madame Moreau.
(b) Frederic's uncle.
(d) Charles Deslauriers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins to write?
2. Who is the host of the costume party to which Arnoux invites Frederic?
3. Where does Deslauriers see Marie Arnoux for the first time?
4. Where does Jacques Arnoux tell Frederic that his wife has gone?
5. Who is the author of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins writing? Who are the main characters? What is it about?
2. What is Pellerin's attitude toward Realism? What does he believe the real goal of art to be? In his opinion, what is necessary for great art?
3. What is Deslauriers' reaction to Frederic's love for Madame Arnoux? What is Deslauriers' opinion of Marie Arnoux when he sees her in the Law Courts?
4. From whom does Madame Moreau borrow money? How does she pay off this debt? How does this affect Frederic's future?
5. How does the narrator describe the other people traveling on the ship with Frederic? What do they wear? What are their spirits?
6. What gift does Jacques Arnoux give his wife at her party? Why does he give her this particular gift? What is her reaction? What does she do with the gift during the carriage ride back to Paris?
7. What is the relationship between Frederic and Deslauriers? How did it begin? What planes do they have for the future?
8. What does Pellerin do for a living? What type of books does he read? What is the secret he is trying to discover? Why?
9. How does the narrator describe Monsieur Dambreuse in Chapter 3? What does he look like? How does he interact with Frederic during their meeting?
10. What work does Charles Deslauriers do for his father? What unusual physical feature is a result of this work?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)