|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is the IOU payable that Arnoux forces his wife to sign?
(b) Monsieur Dambreuse.
(d) Monsieur Roque.
2. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins to write?
(a) Sylvester, the fisherman's cat.
(b) Sylvio, the fisherman's son.
(c) Simon, the farmer's brother
(d) Stephen, the farmer's nephew.
3. What is Mademoiselle Vatnaz's ambition?
(a) To paint Marie Arnoux's portrait.
(b) To be published in a magazine.
(c) To become a teacher.
(d) To own an art gallery.
4. With whom does Frederic develop a friendship in Chapter 6?
(a) Mademoiselle Vatnaz.
(b) Mademoiselle Roque.
(c) Monsieur Roque.
5. From whom does Frederic receive a letter at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) Monsieur Roque.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Professor Samuel Rondelot's area of academic specialty?
2. What is Hussonet's job?
3. What is the name of Frederic's aristocratic friend from law school whom Frederic considers to be very dim?
4. Upon seeing Jacques Arnoux at the theatre accompanied by two other ladies, what does Frederic speculate could have happened to Marie Arnoux?
5. Which British writer did Frederic seek to emulate in his youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Frederic and Deslauriers? How did it begin? What planes do they have for the future?
2. What business proposition do Hussonet and Deslauriers bring to Frederic? How does Frederic respond?
3. With whom does Frederic develop a friendship in Chapter 6? How do the other characters feel about this friendship?
4. How does the narrator describe Monsieur Dambreuse in Chapter 3? What does he look like? How does he interact with Frederic during their meeting?
5. Where is the protagonist when the novel begins? What does he look like and what does he have with him?
6. What situation precludes Frederic and Deslauriers from realizing their plans together? What is Frederic's reaction to his news?
7. What does Pellerin do for a living? What type of books does he read? What is the secret he is trying to discover? Why?
8. What are some of Frederic's artistic ambitions? What art has he already produced at this point?
9. How does the narrator describe the other people traveling on the ship with Frederic? What do they wear? What are their spirits?
10. What are Jacques and Marie Arnoux arguing about when Frederic arrives? How does witnessing this argument affect Frederic's feelings for Marie?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)