|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madame Moreau refuse to have anything to do with Monsieur Roque?
(a) He is the election-rigger for the district.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is living in sin with his maid.
(d) He is a known gambler and thief.
2. In Chapter 2 of Part Two, which women in his life does Frederic compare to wild, playful and amusing music, and solemn and almost religious music, respectively?
(a) Madame Rosanette and Madame Arnoux.
(b) Mademoiselle Roque and Mademoiselle Vatnaz.
(c) Madame Dambreuse and Madame Roque.
(d) Madame Arnoux and Madame Moreau.
3. What item is lost during his arrest that Dussardier asks for multiple times?
(a) His box.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His lunchbox.
(d) His backpack.
4. Under what pretense does Frederic visit Dambreuse in Chapter 3?
(a) To deliver a packet of papers for Monsieur Roque.
(b) To ask for a loan to pay for his legal studies.
(c) To offer his services as a poet.
(d) To ask for his daughter's hand in marriage.
5. How did Madame Moreau's husband die?
(a) Sword wound.
(c) Gunshot wound.
(d) Car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins to write?
2. What insult is thrown at Deslauriers that started the schoolyard fight that begins his friendship with Frederic?
3. What does Frederic consider doing after leaving the Alhambra?
4. In Chapter 2 of Part Two, what recent trouble has Arnoux been involved in?
5. How much money do Hussonet and Deslauriers convince Frederic to invest in their political newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Deslauriers' reaction to Frederic's love for Madame Arnoux? What is Deslauriers' opinion of Marie Arnoux when he sees her in the Law Courts?
2. Where is the protagonist when the novel begins? What does he look like and what does he have with him?
3. What kind of trouble does Frederic discover Arnoux is experiencing? With whom does he discuss this? What does he learn?
4. How does the narrator describe Monsieur Dambreuse in Chapter 3? What does he look like? How does he interact with Frederic during their meeting?
5. Which of Frederic's friends are invited to his housewarming party? What is their opinion of his new lifestyle?
6. What work does Charles Deslauriers do for his father? What unusual physical feature is a result of this work?
7. Who is Dussardier? Why is he taken to prison? What does Frederic give him to replace his most prized possession?
8. What are Jacques and Marie Arnoux arguing about when Frederic arrives? How does witnessing this argument affect Frederic's feelings for Marie?
9. What is the title of the novel that Frederic begins writing? Who are the main characters? What is it about?
10. What gift does Jacques Arnoux give his wife at her party? Why does he give her this particular gift? What is her reaction? What does she do with the gift during the carriage ride back to Paris?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)