|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madame Moreau refuse to have anything to do with Monsieur Roque?
(a) He is the election-rigger for the district.
(b) He is living in sin with his maid.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He is a known gambler and thief.
2. What is LÁrt industriel?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) An organization that is half art magazine and half art gallery.
(c) A style of painting.
(d) A ship.
3. What is the name of the beautiful woman's daughter?
(a) Mademoiselle Marie.
(b) Mademoiselle Marthe.
(c) Mademoiselle Mirabella.
(d) Mademoiselle Margueritte.
4. How does Frederic prepare to become an artist at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) He buys paints, brushes, and an easel.
(b) He reads books on aesthetics.
(c) He studies the great masters.
(d) He visits art museums.
5. Why is Frederic hesitant to introduce Deslauriers to Arnoux?
(a) He is worried that Marie Arnoux might not like him.
(b) He is afraid that Jacques Arnoux will like Deslauriers better than him.
(c) He is concerned that Deslauriers will tell Arnoux that he is in love with Marie.
(d) He is worried that Deslauriers will disapprove of Arnoux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of L'Art?
2. What is Hussonet's job?
3. To whom is the IOU payable that Arnoux forces his wife to sign?
4. Frederic compares the beautiful woman to the women in which type of novels?
5. What secret does Frederic tell Hussonet he wants in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Madame Moreau's background? What aspirations does she have for her son?
2. How does Frederic's schoolmate Baptiste Martinon live? What is his attitude towards life? How does this contrast with Frederic's attitude?
3. Which of Frederic's friends are invited to his housewarming party? What is their opinion of his new lifestyle?
4. What does Pellerin do for a living? What type of books does he read? What is the secret he is trying to discover? Why?
5. Where is the protagonist when the novel begins? What does he look like and what does he have with him?
6. What kind of trouble does Frederic discover Arnoux is experiencing? With whom does he discuss this? What does he learn?
7. What situation precludes Frederic and Deslauriers from realizing their plans together? What is Frederic's reaction to his news?
8. What is Jacques Arnoux's business reputation? Why does Pellerin become so angry with him?
9. Who is the host of the costume party to which Arnoux brings Frederic? What is this person's relationship to Arnoux?
10. What business proposition do Hussonet and Deslauriers bring to Frederic? How does Frederic respond?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)