|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madame Dambreuse write three letters to Cécile?
(a) She needs money and asks Cécile for a loan.
(b) She is lonely and misses Cécile since she married and moved away.
(c) Monsieur Dambreuse asks to see her when he is on his deathbed.
(d) She is curious about Cécile's new married life.
2. In Chapter 3 of Part Two, how does Deslauriers believe politics should be treated?
3. Where does Marie Arnoux retire to after Frederic declares his love to her?
(a) Her mother's house in Chartres.
(b) A rented cottage in Auteil.
(c) Her country-house in Saint-Cloud.
(d) A rented villa in Italy.
4. What does Rosanette reveal her age to be in Chapter 1 of Part Three?
5. Why does Dussardier decide to give a party?
(a) To celebrate Frederic's engagement to Louise Roque.
(b) To celebrate Frederic's birthday.
(c) To celebrate his raise in salary.
(d) To celebrate Sénécal's release from prison.
6. Whom does Frederic unexpectedly meet when he goes to Arnoux's factory to fulfill Louise Roque's order?
(b) Monsieur Roque.
(c) Marie Arnoux.
7. What does Frederic fantasize about while he watches Arnoux sleep in the guardroom?
(a) Marrying Louise Roque.
(b) Starting a family with Rosanette.
(c) Arnoux being killed in a rifle accident.
(d) Saving Marie Arnoux's life.
8. Who arrives at and brings a stop to the duel?
(a) Marie Arnoux.
(b) Jacques Arnoux.
9. How does Frederic learn that Dussardier was injured in the fighting in Paris?
(a) He receives a letter from Deslauriers.
(b) He receives a telegram from the National Guard.
(c) He is told about it by Arnoux.
(d) He reads about it in the newspaper.
10. When Frederic returns from visiting Marie Arnoux in Creil, he finds a letter waiting for him from Rosanette inviting him to which event?
(a) A costume ball.
(b) The races.
(c) The regatta.
(d) The tour-de-France.
11. Where is Rosanette going with her Russian lover and wants to invite Frederic?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The woods.
(c) The lakes.
(d) The seaside.
12. Which character is arrested in Chapter 4 of Part Two and is charged with attempted assassination?
13. What lie does Dambreuse tell Martinon about Cécile in an effort to break up the young couple?
(a) Cécile dreams of entering a convent and becoming a nun.
(b) Cécile is a fallen woman.
(c) Cécile is an orphan and has no dowry.
(d) Cécile is Martinon's half sister.
14. When Frederic returns to Paris to care for the injured Dussardier, who does he find nursing him in his apartment?
(b) Marie Arnoux.
(c) Mademoiselle Vatnaz.
15. What does the sight of the five bodies killed on the boulevard des Capucines being carried through the streets on a cart change?
(a) Hussonet's opinion of the Republic.
(b) The people's mood.
(c) Frederic's opinion of the monarchy.
(d) The Constitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hussonet's opinion of Le Chevalier de maison rouge that the other guests at Dussardier's party fervently disagree with?
2. What is Madame Alessandri's specialty?
3. Where does the Russian prince, Rosanette's new lover, see her for the first time?
4. What topic does Pellerin discuss with Frederic during Dambreuse's funeral?
5. What effect does the change in government have in Paris?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)