|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frederic first go looking for Arnoux when he returns to Paris in Chapter 1 of Part Two?
(a) Arnoux's favorite café.
(b) L'Art industriel.
(c) The Alhambra.
(d) Arnoux's house.
2. What characteristics does Pellerin decide are more important in art than Beauty and Unity?
(a) Light and Shadow.
(b) Line and Form.
(c) Diversity and Character.
(d) Color and Subject.
3. Whom does Frederic seek out who gives him information on Arnoux's whereabouts?
4. What is the name of the ship on which Frederic travels?
(b) Le Havre.
(d) Ville de Montereau.
5. Why does Sénécal lose his job for the third time?
(a) He refuses to teach religious education because he is an atheist.
(b) He refuses to teach art because it is not analytical.
(c) He refuses to give prizes because they are elitist.
(d) He refuses to give grades because they are meaningless.
6. What does Frederic do with the extra allowance his mother sends him for tutoring?
(a) He hires a tutor.
(b) He buys a necklace for Marie Arnoux.
(c) He treats Jacques Arnoux to a fancy dinner.
(d) He purchases fancy clothing.
7. Where does Frederic run into the Dambreuses at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) The Alhambra.
(b) Marie Arnoux's party.
(c) L'Art Industriel.
(d) The Porte-Saint-Martin theatre.
8. Why does Madame Moreau refuse to have anything to do with Monsieur Roque?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is the election-rigger for the district.
(c) He is a known gambler and thief.
(d) He is living in sin with his maid.
9. Upon seeing Jacques Arnoux at the theatre accompanied by two other ladies, what does Frederic speculate could have happened to Marie Arnoux?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She divorced Jacques Arnoux.
(d) She is out of town.
10. What is Dussardier's most prized possession?
(a) His car.
(b) His watch.
(c) His pipe.
(d) His box.
11. Where is the restaurant located in which Frederic dines daily at a cost of only forty-three sous?
(b) The Champs-Elysées.
(c) The Tuileries.
(d) Rue de la Harpe.
12. What secret does Frederic tell Hussonet he wants in Chapter 5?
(a) He lives in a residential hotel.
(b) He has failed his exams.
(c) He is in love with Marie Arnoux.
(d) He does not have any money.
13. How does Frederic prepare to become an artist at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) He visits art museums.
(b) He reads books on aesthetics.
(c) He studies the great masters.
(d) He buys paints, brushes, and an easel.
14. Which British writer did Frederic seek to emulate in his youth?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Walter Scott.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Jane Austen.
15. From whom does Frederic receive a letter at the end of Chapter 1?
(d) Monsieur Roque.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frederic returning from visiting in hopes he will include him in his will?
2. What item is lost during his arrest that Dussardier asks for multiple times?
3. What become his principle interests after Deslauriers loses interest in metaphysics?
4. To whom does Deslauriers suggest Monsieur Roque introduce Frederic?
5. What title did Dambreuse have that he dropped?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)