|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Regimbart like to visit cafés and billiard saloons?
(a) To talk about politics.
(b) To drink.
(c) To gamble.
(d) To make business connections.
2. Where does Frederic ask Hussonet to take him?
(a) Jacques Arnoux's house.
(b) Jacques Arnoux's gallery.
(c) Dambreuse's house.
(d) Dambreuse's gallery
3. Where does Jacques Arnoux tell Frederic that his wife has gone?
(a) To visit her sister in Andalusia.
(b) To visit her sick mother.
(c) To vacation in Germany.
(d) To vacation in Italy.
4. What is Hussonet's job?
(a) He is a painter.
(b) He owns an art gallery.
(c) He is an actor in vaudeville.
(d) He works for fashion papers and writes advertisements for L'Art Industriel.
5. Whom does Frederic see accompanying Jacques Arnoux at the Alhambra?
(a) Marie Arnoux.
(b) Monsieur Roque.
(d) Mademoiselle Vatnaz.
6. What does Frederic do with the money he gets from selling his new outfit to a second-hand clothes dealer?
(a) He goes to visit his mother.
(b) He hires a tutor.
(c) He treats Jacques Arnoux to dinner.
(d) He buys a necklace for Marie Arnoux.
7. What piece of evidence does Marie Arnoux produce during their argument to prove her husband's infidelity?
(a) A glove.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A lock of hair
(d) A bill for cashmere.
8. What characteristics does Pellerin decide are more important in art than Beauty and Unity?
(a) Line and Form.
(b) Color and Subject.
(c) Diversity and Character.
(d) Light and Shadow.
9. In what year does the novel begin?
10. What is Frederic planning to study?
11. What business does Jacques Arnoux take up after leaving the art business?
12. What news does Frederic receive that leads him to return to Paris?
(a) Jacques Arnoux and Marie have divorced.
(b) He has inherited his uncle's estate.
(c) There is a job opening for him at L'Art Industriel.
(d) Deslauriers has fallen ill.
13. Where does Deslauriers see Marie Arnoux for the first time?
(b) L'Art industriel.
(c) The Law Courts.
(d) The Tuileries.
14. From whom does Frederic receive a second invitation on the same day he receives an invitation to Marie Arnoux's name-day party?
(a) The Dambreuses.
(b) His uncle.
(c) Monsieur Roque.
15. Why is Dussardier arrested by the police?
(a) He is a murderer.
(b) He is a government spy.
(c) He stole two loaves of bread.
(d) He attacked a police officer who was beating a young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what is Frederic holding while he stands on the deck of the ship?
2. From whom does Frederic receive a letter at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Why is Frederic hesitant to introduce Deslauriers to Arnoux?
4. Why does Sénécal lose his job for the third time?
5. Why does Madame Moreau refuse to have anything to do with Monsieur Roque?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)