|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Alhambra?
(a) A museum.
(b) A dance hall.
(c) An art magazine.
(d) An art gallery.
2. Which character is dissatisfied with his dining experience at the Trois-Frères-Provençaux?
3. What does Frederic do with the money he gets from selling his new outfit to a second-hand clothes dealer?
(a) He goes to visit his mother.
(b) He hires a tutor.
(c) He treats Jacques Arnoux to dinner.
(d) He buys a necklace for Marie Arnoux.
4. Where does Deslauriers see Marie Arnoux for the first time?
(a) L'Art industriel.
(b) The Law Courts.
(d) The Tuileries.
5. To whom does Deslauriers suggest Monsieur Roque introduce Frederic?
(b) Marie Arnoux.
(c) Jacques Arnoux.
(d) The Dambreuses.
6. How does Frederic prepare to become an artist at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) He visits art museums.
(b) He reads books on aesthetics.
(c) He buys paints, brushes, and an easel.
(d) He studies the great masters.
7. Why is Dussardier arrested by the police?
(a) He is a murderer.
(b) He stole two loaves of bread.
(c) He attacked a police officer who was beating a young man.
(d) He is a government spy.
8. What is the name of the beautiful woman's daughter?
(a) Mademoiselle Marthe.
(b) Mademoiselle Marie.
(c) Mademoiselle Margueritte.
(d) Mademoiselle Mirabella.
9. Which character does Frederic commission Pellerin to paint a life-size portrait of?
(b) Louise Roque.
(c) Mademoiselle Vatnaz.
(d) Marie Arnoux.
10. What secret does Frederic tell Hussonet he wants in Chapter 5?
(a) He does not have any money.
(b) He lives in a residential hotel.
(c) He has failed his exams.
(d) He is in love with Marie Arnoux.
11. What is the name of Frederic's aristocratic friend from law school whom Frederic considers to be very dim?
(a) Baptiste Martinon.
(b) Charles Deslauriers.
(d) Monsieur de Cisy.
12. Who is the host of the costume party to which Arnoux invites Frederic?
(a) Madame Dambreuse.
(b) Madame Moreau.
(c) Madame Arnoux.
(d) Madame Rosanette.
13. In what year does the novel begin?
14. What insult is thrown at Deslauriers that started the schoolyard fight that begins his friendship with Frederic?
(a) Beggar's brat.
(c) Big boy.
(d) Rich boy.
15. Who is the owner of L'Art?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Frederic suggest the portrait he commissions be given?
2. What is LÁrt industriel?
3. What become his principle interests after Deslauriers loses interest in metaphysics?
4. Who does Frederic kiss goodbye before leaving for Paris?
5. Whom does Frederic seek out who gives him information on Arnoux's whereabouts?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)