Chapters 1 and 2
• The novel begins on a ship voyage in September of 1840.
• Frederic Moreau is traveling to Nogent-sur-Seine to visit his mother for a couple of months.
• It is revealed that Frederic is eighteen years old and a law student.
• Frederic is returning from a visit to his uncle, whom he is hoping will put him in his will.
• Frederic meets Jacques Arnoux, the owner of an art magazine and art gallery, during his voyage.
• Frederic sees a woman embroidering and is captivated by her beauty.
• Frederic realizes that the beautiful woman is Jacques Arnoux's wife.
• Frederic goes home to see his mother, Madame Moreau, a widow from an aristocratic family.
• The narrator reveals that Madame Moreau has lofty ambitions for her son, who has shown academic promise.
• Frederic receives a letter from his friend Deslauriers and goes to meet with him.
• The narrator reveals that Charles Deslauriers...
This section contains 2,396 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)