|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marianne not want to go to Cleveland?
2. Why does John think Colonel Brandon lacks sense?
3. What did Edward come to regret?
4. Who does Marianne marry?
5. What is Elinor's reaction to the news that Edward is not marrying Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Brandon an honorable man?
2. Describe Mrs. Jennings role within the story.
3. How do the sisters differing reactions to leaving London show the contrast between sense and sensibility?
4. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
5. Does Marianne's illness change her?
6. Is Lucy a bad person?
7. Is is right that and true to the character of Elinor that she should forgive Edward so easily?
8. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
9. Why is it important that the Colonel is one of the oldest characters in the book?
10. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy and Anne Steele make a striking contrast to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Discuss this contrast.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two pairs of sisters? Why do you think they do not get along?
2) Do the relationships between each pair of sisters work in a similar way?
3) How does Austen use the contrast to present her opinions on class and privileged upbringings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)