|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the next person to come to London?
2. How much money does Mrs. Ferrars give her son?
3. What stops Colonel Brandon from leaving as well?
4. Why is Colonel Brandon pleased?
5. What does Elinor decide about Mr. Palmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Elinor's sense always had a positive impact on the characters?
2. Why does Austen present John Dashwood as a comic figure?
3. Do you think Marianne can be happy with Colonel Brandon?
4. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
5. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
6. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
7. Is Brandon an honorable man?
8. Is Lucy a bad person?
9. Does Marianne's illness change her?
10. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Austen's life. In what way do you think her life and personality is reflected in the book?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)