|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Elinor and Marianne have to spend time with?
2. Who arrives at the cottage unexpectedly?
3. Why does Marianne have to spend a day with Mrs. Palmer and Mrs.Jennings?
4. How does Marianne keep her mind off Willoughby?
5. How does Elinor initially react to Willoughby's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
2. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
3. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
4. Is Lucy a bad person?
5. What are the differences between the Steele sisters and the Dashwood sisters?
6. Do you think Marianne can be happy with Colonel Brandon?
7. Is Brandon an honorable man?
8. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
9. What is the importance of the Steele's appearance in the story?
10. Is Willoughby a better match for Marianne than the Colonel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the chronological setting of the novel. What forms of transportation did they use? What methods of communication did they use? How does it affect the character's decisions? Do you think the characters would have made different life decisions if they were exposed to a more efficient way of living?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)