|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Ferrars marrying?
2. Why does Willoughby say he had to get married to Miss Grey?
3. What does John Dashwood say he has bought?
4. Why does Marianne have to spend a day with Mrs. Palmer and Mrs.Jennings?
5. What does Elinor learn from Anne Steele?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Brandon an honorable man?
2. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
3. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
4. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
5. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
6. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
7. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
8. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
9. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
10. Has Elinor's sense always had a positive impact on the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austen presents Elinor as a logical person, but also hints she oppresses her emotional side for the good of the family.
1) Look at two examples where Elinor represses her emotions. For what reason does she do it? In each instance, what would happen if didn't oppress her emotions?
2) Do you think it is good or bad for Elinor to repress her emotions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: In Sense and Sensibility, the female characters are stronger than the male characters and control the story. Use one of the relationships in the novel--for example, Elinor and Edward, to highlight your argument.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of the novel is the benefit of logic over emotion. Do you think Austen places too much emphasis on logic? Could the logical characters work more efficiently without the more emotional character? Or do they both work to keep each other in check?
Take a scene from the novel where logic prevails and discuss what would happen if there was no logical thinking to keep the emotional characters in check.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)