|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elinor think Lucy is attracted to Robert?
2. How does Elinor initially react to Willoughby's appearance?
3. Who enters the room when Lucy and Elinor are having a conversation?
4. Who does Mrs Dashwood thank?
5. What does Edward ask Elinor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
2. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
3. Describe Mrs. Jennings role within the story.
4. Is Lucy a bad person?
5. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
6. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
7. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
8. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
9. How much does Marianne's mental state contribute to her illness?
10. Do you think Marianne can be happy with Colonel Brandon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much is Marianne's depression responsible for her illness? Is her changeable mood also responsible for her recovery? What do you think this says about Austen's thoughts on illness and eighteenth century society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)