|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elinor initially react to Willoughby's appearance?
2. Why does Mrs Palmer leave the house when Marianne falls ill?
3. Who arrives at the cottage unexpectedly?
4. Who does the Dashwood's servant say she saw in town?
5. Why is Elinor upset?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the eighteenth century.
1) Is it more important to have money in the eighteenth century than it is now? Pick a character and discuss what would happen if they were not born into money. Do you think some of the characters' obsessions with money are justified?
2) Why is marriage in the eighteenth century such an important institution? Is it more important for men or women? Is it wise to marry just for love? Is Jane Austen's happy ending merely a romantic notion that would rarely happen?
3) Does modern society share any values with eighteenth century society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)