|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Jennings think will be a minister at Elinor's wedding?
2. What does Fanny regret?
3. What do Elinor's visitors in this chapter urge her to do while in Cleveland?
4. Who does Mrs Jennings tell about Elinor's engagement?
5. Why does Marianne have to spend a day with Mrs. Palmer and Mrs.Jennings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Willoughby a better match for Marianne than the Colonel?
2. Why does Austen present John Dashwood as a comic figure?
3. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
4. Has Elinor's sense always had a positive impact on the characters?
5. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
6. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
7. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
8. Does Marianne's illness change her?
9. Do you think the Dashwoods like John?
10. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Letter writing is an important form of communication in the book and sometimes the only form of communication between two characters. Discuss the role letter writing has in the story.
1) Do Marianne's letters to Willoughby display her immaturity? Does she leave herself open to manipulation?
2) Why do you think Elinor never writes a letter to Edward? What does it say about her character? What does it say about her relationship to Edward?
3) Why do you think Colonel Brandon goes to Barton to deliver the news of Marianne's illness? Would it have been quicker to send Mrs. Dashwood a letter? What does it say about how people regarded letter writing in the eighteenth century? Is it different to how people regard letter writing today?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think the Colonel is a good match for Marianne. Is he a direct replacement for her sister? Do you think the match is more for the sake of Elinor than Marianne? If so, how much does Elinor's practicality oppress her sister's spontaneity?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)