|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Elinor and Edward get married?
2. What does Brandon say is the main problem with the parsonage?
3. Why is Marianne pleased to be going to Cleveland?
4. Why is Mrs. Dashwood unhappy with herself?
5. How much money does Mrs. Ferrars give her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
2. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
3. Do you think the Dashwoods like John?
4. What are the differences between the Steele sisters and the Dashwood sisters?
5. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
6. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
7. Has Elinor's sense always had a positive impact on the characters?
8. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
9. How are Elinor and Marianne different from the society they live in?
10. Is Willoughby a better match for Marianne than the Colonel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy and Anne Steele make a striking contrast to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Discuss this contrast.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two pairs of sisters? Why do you think they do not get along?
2) Do the relationships between each pair of sisters work in a similar way?
3) How does Austen use the contrast to present her opinions on class and privileged upbringings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
Essay Topic 3
Setting plays a big part in the novel, and the Dashwoods find themselves going from one extreme to another. With this mind, compare the following settings and its effects on the characters and the story. Do the characters behavior change during the novel? Is it significant Marianne gets ill in Cleveland rather than London?
1) London versus Cleveland
2) Norland Park versus Barton Park
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)