|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elinor glad her relationship with Edward has ended?
2. What is Elinor's reaction to the news that Edward is not marrying Lucy?
3. Why can Mrs. Dashwood not forgive Willoughby?
4. Why does Robert regret his brother is becoming a rector?
5. Where are the Dashwoods preparing to travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Jennings role within the story.
2. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
3. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
4. Do you think the Dashwoods like John?
5. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
6. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
7. What are the differences between the Steele sisters and the Dashwood sisters?
8. Why does the Colonel ask Elinor to tell Edward about his new position in the Parish?
9. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
10. Does Marianne's illness change her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)