Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs Dashwood thank?
2. Who is the next person to arrive in Cleveland?
3. Why is Mrs. Dashwood unhappy with herself?
4. Who is the next person to come to London?
5. Why does Willoughby say he has come?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the eighteenth century.
1) Is it more important to have money in the eighteenth century than it is now? Pick a character and discuss what would happen if they were not born into money. Do you think some of the characters' obsessions with money are justified?
2) Why is marriage in the eighteenth century such an important institution? Is it more important for men or women? Is it wise to marry just for love? Is Jane Austen's happy ending merely a romantic notion that would rarely happen?
3) Does modern society share any values with eighteenth century society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the chronological setting of the novel. What forms of transportation did they use? What methods of communication did they use? How does it affect the character's decisions? Do you think the characters would have made different life decisions if they were exposed to a more efficient way of living?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)