|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs Dashwood thank?
2. Who is the next person to arrive in Cleveland?
3. Why is Mrs. Dashwood unhappy with herself?
4. Who is the next person to come to London?
5. Why does Willoughby say he has come?
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the chronological setting of the novel. What forms of transportation did they use? What methods of communication did they use? How does it affect the character's decisions? Do you think the characters would have made different life decisions if they were exposed to a more efficient way of living?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy and Anne Steele make a striking contrast to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Discuss this contrast.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two pairs of sisters? Why do you think they do not get along?
2) Do the relationships between each pair of sisters work in a similar way?
3) How does Austen use the contrast to present her opinions on class and privileged upbringings?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)