Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs Dashwood thank?
2. Who is the next person to arrive in Cleveland?
3. Why is Mrs. Dashwood unhappy with herself?
4. Who is the next person to come to London?
5. Why does Willoughby say he has come?
Essay Topic 1
Lucy and Anne Steele make a striking contrast to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Discuss this contrast.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two pairs of sisters? Why do you think they do not get along?
2) Do the relationships between each pair of sisters work in a similar way?
3) How does Austen use the contrast to present her opinions on class and privileged upbringings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: In Sense and Sensibility, the female characters are stronger than the male characters and control the story. Use one of the relationships in the novel--for example, Elinor and Edward, to highlight your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Why do think social events are so important to the upper classes in eighteenth century Britain? Do you think events are purely informal? Why do you think Edward and Elinor react against such a life?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)