|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Jennings say will now marry Marianne?
2. Who does Mrs. Jennings think will be a minister at Elinor's wedding?
3. Who does Mrs Jennings tell about Elinor's engagement?
4. Who does Elinor receive a letter from?
5. Where are the Dashwoods preparing to travel to?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think the Colonel is a good match for Marianne. Is he a direct replacement for her sister? Do you think the match is more for the sake of Elinor than Marianne? If so, how much does Elinor's practicality oppress her sister's spontaneity?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy and Anne Steele make a striking contrast to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Discuss this contrast.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two pairs of sisters? Why do you think they do not get along?
2) Do the relationships between each pair of sisters work in a similar way?
3) How does Austen use the contrast to present her opinions on class and privileged upbringings?
Essay Topic 3
How much is Marianne's depression responsible for her illness? Is her changeable mood also responsible for her recovery? What do you think this says about Austen's thoughts on illness and eighteenth century society in general?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)