|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Marianne and Elinor move to?
2. Why is Marianne happy she did not marry Willoughby?
3. What does Marianne ask Elinor to tell their mother?
4. When do Elinor and Edward get married?
5. Why is Mrs. Dashwood unhappy with herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
2. Describe Mrs. Jennings role within the story.
3. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
4. Why is it important that the Colonel is one of the oldest characters in the book?
5. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
6. Is is right that and true to the character of Elinor that she should forgive Edward so easily?
7. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
8. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
9. Do you think the Dashwoods like John?
10. Does Marianne's illness change her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think the Colonel is a good match for Marianne. Is he a direct replacement for her sister? Do you think the match is more for the sake of Elinor than Marianne? If so, how much does Elinor's practicality oppress her sister's spontaneity?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)