|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
2. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
3. Who does Lucy say she has been secretly engaged to for a year?
4. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
5. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
2. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
3. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
4. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
5. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
6. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
7. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
8. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
9. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
10. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Austen's life. In what way do you think her life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why do think social events are so important to the upper classes in eighteenth century Britain? Do you think events are purely informal? Why do you think Edward and Elinor react against such a life?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Austen use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution, and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main characters Marianne and Elinor, examine the way Austen uses him or her in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 2,027 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)