|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
2. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
3. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
4. What does Marianne plan to do while in London?
5. Which of the following words does Austen use to describe Sir John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
2. Outline what you think are Elinor's main characteristics.
3. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
4. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
5. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
6. Is Brandon a good match for Elinor?
7. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
8. How does Edward's arrival produce new hope for the Dashwood's?
9. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
10. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much is Marianne's depression responsible for her illness? Is her changeable mood also responsible for her recovery? What do you think this says about Austen's thoughts on illness and eighteenth century society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the chronological setting of the novel. What forms of transportation did they use? What methods of communication did they use? How does it affect the character's decisions? Do you think the characters would have made different life decisions if they were exposed to a more efficient way of living?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)