|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two sisters go for a walk in the country?
2. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
3. What are the first names of the Steele sisters?
4. What is the name of the Dashwood's new cottage?
5. What does Elinor ask Mrs Jennings to stop doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
2. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
3. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
4. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
5. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
6. How does Elinor display her logic and rationality in this chapter?
7. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
8. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
9. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
10. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Austen's life. In what way do you think her life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think the Colonel is a good match for Marianne. Is he a direct replacement for her sister? Do you think the match is more for the sake of Elinor than Marianne? If so, how much does Elinor's practicality oppress her sister's spontaneity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss opposites in the novel. Do all the characters have an opposite, for example Marianne and Elinor? What would do you think would happen to Marianne if Elinor was not there to help her, and vice versa? Are their some characters in the novel who don't have an opposite to counteract their personality? What happens to them?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)