Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
2. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
3. Who does Lucy say she has been secretly engaged to for a year?
4. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
5. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
2. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
3. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
4. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
5. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
6. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
7. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
8. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
9. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
10. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
Essay Topic 1
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think the Colonel is a good match for Marianne. Is he a direct replacement for her sister? Do you think the match is more for the sake of Elinor than Marianne? If so, how much does Elinor's practicality oppress her sister's spontaneity?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)