|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
2. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
3. Who is the first person to visit the sisters in London?
4. What does Colonel Brandon pay close attention to?
5. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
2. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
3. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
4. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
5. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
6. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
7. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
8. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
9. Outline what you think are Elinor's main characteristics.
10. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much is Marianne's depression responsible for her illness? Is her changeable mood also responsible for her recovery? What do you think this says about Austen's thoughts on illness and eighteenth century society in general?
Essay Topic 2
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Austen's life. In what way do you think her life and personality is reflected in the book?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)