|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
2. Whose lock of hair does Edward claim it is?
3. Who does Henry Dashwood call to his bedside to ask to support his wife and daughters?
4. What does Marianne do at the party?
5. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
2. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
3. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
4. Is Brandon a good match for Elinor?
5. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
6. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
7. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
8. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
9. How does Elinor display her logic and rationality in this chapter?
10. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: In Sense and Sensibility, the female characters are stronger than the male characters and control the story. Use one of the relationships in the novel--for example, Elinor and Edward, to highlight your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)