Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
2. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
3. Who does Lucy say she has been secretly engaged to for a year?
4. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
5. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
2. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
3. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
4. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
5. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
6. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
7. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
8. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
9. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
10. Have the sisters changed during their time in London?
Essay Topic 1
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen often presents John Dashwood as a figure to make fun of. Do you think this is fair to his character? Is his decision not to give his sisters any money more than just a financial decision? Does he try to make it up to them as the story progresses? What does this say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the chronological setting of the novel. What forms of transportation did they use? What methods of communication did they use? How does it affect the character's decisions? Do you think the characters would have made different life decisions if they were exposed to a more efficient way of living?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)