|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Jennings worry about the Colonel?
2. Which nearby manor do the character's intend to visit the next day?
3. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
4. How much money does Edward earn per year?
5. Who is Colonel Brandon fixated on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
2. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
3. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
4. Do you think Mrs. Dashwood's love of her daughter holds them back?
5. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
6. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
7. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
8. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
9. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
10. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do think social events are so important to the upper classes in eighteenth century Britain? Do you think events are purely informal? Why do you think Edward and Elinor react against such a life?
Essay Topic 2
Willoughby and Brandon both tell stories that move the Dashwoods. Why do you think Brandon elicits more sympathy? What do the story says about their different personalities?
Essay Topic 3
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)