|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
2. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
3. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
4. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
5. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
2. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
3. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
4. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
5. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
6. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
7. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
8. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
9. How does Elinor display her logic and rationality in this chapter?
10. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the eighteenth century.
1) Is it more important to have money in the eighteenth century than it is now? Pick a character and discuss what would happen if they were not born into money. Do you think some of the characters' obsessions with money are justified?
2) Why is marriage in the eighteenth century such an important institution? Is it more important for men or women? Is it wise to marry just for love? Is Jane Austen's happy ending merely a romantic notion that would rarely happen?
3) Does modern society share any values with eighteenth century society?
Essay Topic 2
The Dashwoods seem to complement each other perfectly and even though they have problems they work together to get out of them and end the story finding happiness. How do you think they work together so well? What are their individual roles? Is one person stronger than the other?
Take away a member of family from the story and discuss how the story could have been different. Would Marianne still be alive? Could Elinor maintain her practical outlook?
Essay Topic 3
Austen was an unmarried daughter of a rector. With this in mind and anything else you know about Austen's life, which character resembles Austen the most?
1) Does she use that character to give her opinions of eighteenth century society?
2) Which characters do you think Austen shows less appreciation for? How do these characters differ from the main character?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)