|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John think Colonel Brandon lacks sense?
(a) He sold Edward the parsonage too cheaply
(b) He won't marry
(c) He loves Marianne
(d) He has no money, but still refuses to work
2. What does Fanny regret?
(a) Not visiting the Dashwoods while they were in London
(b) Not giving the Dashwood's financial support
(c) Telling Elinor Edward is marrying Lucy
(d) Not bringing her umbrella
3. Why has Mrs. Smith disowned him?
(a) He does not mix with good enough company
(b) She found out about his affair with Miss Williams
(c) He does want to marry anybody.
(d) He only wants Marianne
4. Where do the Palmers live?
5. What does Edward ask Elinor?
(a) To come to London
(b) For some money
(c) To marry him
(d) To be bridesmaid at his wedding to Miss Grey
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Elinor known about the engagement?
2. Why is Elinor upset?
3. Where do Marianne and Elinor move to?
4. Who is the next person to arrive in Cleveland?
5. Why is Elinor glad her relationship with Edward has ended?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
2. Has Elinor's sense always had a positive impact on the characters?
3. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
4. How much does Marianne's mental state contribute to her illness?
5. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
6. Why is it important that the Colonel is one of the oldest characters in the book?
7. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
8. What is the importance of the Steele's appearance in the story?
9. Why does Austen present John Dashwood as a comic figure?
10. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)