|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Dashwoods see while out?
(b) Sir John Middleton
(d) John Dashwood
2. Why does Elinor think Lucy is attracted to Robert?
(a) He is just like her sister Anne
(b) He is unpredictable
(c) Because he stands to inherit a lot of money
(d) He is better looking than Edward
3. What kind of party are Elinor and Marianne invited to?
(a) A nature party
(b) A fancy dress party
(c) A libertine party
(d) A musical party
4. What has happened to Mrs Palmer?
(a) She has taken ill
(b) She has had a baby girl
(c) She has had a baby boy
(d) She has inherited a lot of money
5. How does Marianne keep her mind off Willoughby?
(a) She exercises and reads books
(b) She goes for long walks
(c) She sleeps
(d) She make sure she is around people all the time
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elinor decide about Mr. Palmer?
2. Where do the Dashwoods travel to next?
3. Who comes to the cottage?
4. Why does Mrs Palmer leave the house when Marianne falls ill?
5. Where are the Dashwoods preparing to travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does Marianne's mental state contribute to her illness?
2. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
3. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
4. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
5. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
6. What did you think are the differences between Willoughby's story and Brandon's earlier tale?
7. Is Willoughby a better match for Marianne than the Colonel?
8. What does Elinor's unhappy reaction show about her logical character?
9. Why is it important that the Colonel is one of the oldest characters in the book?
10. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)