|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the cottage?
(a) Mrs. Jennings
(b) Colonel Brandon
(d) Sir John
2. Why is Fanny happy that Edward has found a job at the parsonage?
(a) She won't have to support him.
(b) She can visit him.
(c) He is finally doing something with his life
(d) He has wanted to get a job all his life.
3. How does Elinor initially react to Willoughby's appearance?
(a) She throws a bucket of water over him
(b) She shouts at him and insists he leaves
(c) Horrified, she tries to leave the room
(d) She faints
4. Who does Marianne marry?
(a) Colonel Brandon
(c) Sir John Middleton
(d) Robert Ferrars
5. Why is Colonel Brandon pleased?
(a) Because Marianne is better
(b) Because Mrs Dashwood buys him a thank you gift
(c) Because of the attention Marianne bestows on him
(d) Because he has inherited some money
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Willoughby?
2. Why is Elinor upset?
3. Why does Elinor think she can feel sympathy for Willoughby?
4. Where do the Dashwoods travel to next?
5. What does Marianne reproach her sister for being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
2. Is Willoughby a better match for Marianne than the Colonel?
3. What are the differences between the Steele sisters and the Dashwood sisters?
4. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
5. Why do you think Fanny and Lady Middleton get along so well?
6. In what ways does Marianne's illness show the difference between the characters?
7. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
8. Is is right that and true to the character of Elinor that she should forgive Edward so easily?
9. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
10. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)