|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
2. Where do the Palmers live?
(a) The Lake District
3. Which one of the sisters does Edward Ferrars devote his time to?
4. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
(a) A bracelet
(b) An invitation
(c) A sum of money
(d) A letter
5. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) John Willoughby
(b) Colonel Brandon
(c) John Dashwood
(d) Edward Ferrars
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Dashwoods encounter on a walk in the countryside?
2. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
3. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
4. What does Marianne plan to do while in London?
5. Which nearby manor do the character's intend to visit the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
2. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
3. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
4. Do you think Mrs. Dashwood's love of her daughter holds them back?
5. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
6. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
7. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
8. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
9. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
10. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)