|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does John initially decide to give his stepmother and sisters?
(a) 500 ponds
(b) 1,000 pounds
(c) 10,000 pounds
(d) 100 pounds
2. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
(a) She wants to have an excuse to stay inside and read
(b) Willoughby will come back from his outdoor pursuits
(c) Willoughby will contract a cold
(d) London is too humid
3. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
(a) A bracelet
(b) An invitation
(c) A letter
(d) A sum of money
4. Who does Mrs.Jennings bring for a visit?
(a) The Steele sisters
(b) John Willoughby
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Palmer
(d) Fanny and John Dashwood
5. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
(a) Edward does not like socializing
(b) They never got engaged
(c) They were never really love
(d) At least they can still be friendly
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the sisters does Edward Ferrars devote his time to?
2. Which two sisters go for a walk in the country?
3. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
4. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
5. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
2. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
3. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
4. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
5. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
6. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
7. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
8. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
9. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
10. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)