|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Jennings say Sir John will be disappointed?
(a) He will not be able to go to the opera
(b) He will not get to see Edward
(c) He will be unable to hunt
(d) He thinks she lives in a mansion
2. How does Elinor keep herself busy when Edward leaves?
(a) She visits the Middleton's everyday
(b) She draws
(c) She goes for walks with Mariane
(d) She does the housework
3. Who do the Dashwoods encounter on a walk in the countryside?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) John Willoughby
(c) Edward Ferrars
(d) No one
4. Which of the Steele sisters does Elinor become friends with?
5. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
(a) Her love for Willoughby
(b) Her engagement to Willoughby
(c) Her birth
(d) That she owes Willoughby money
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry Dashwood call to his bedside to ask to support his wife and daughters?
2. Why does Mrs. Dashwood like Edward?
3. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
4. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
5. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
2. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
3. How does Elinor display her logic and rationality in this chapter?
4. Is Brandon a good match for Elinor?
5. Do you think Mrs. Dashwood's love of her daughter holds them back?
6. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
7. Is Brandon an honorable man?
8. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
9. Why does Austen present John Dashwood as a comic figure?
10. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)