|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
(a) That she owes Willoughby money
(b) Her love for Willoughby
(c) Her birth
(d) Her engagement to Willoughby
2. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) Colonel Brandon
(b) Edward Ferrars
(c) John Dashwood
(d) John Willoughby
3. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He does not have any money
(b) He does not love her
(c) He does not have a job
(d) He is not dashing enough
4. How long is the carriage ride to London?
(a) Three days
(b) A week
(c) Three hours
(d) Ten days
5. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A pony
(b) A horse
(c) A dog
(d) A goat
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
2. What does Lucy ask Elinor to do to help Edward become a minister?
3. How much money does Edward earn per year?
4. Who does Mrs. Jennings say is coming to town?
5. Marianne tells her sister she will try to love Edward in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
2. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
3. Is Elinor closer to Marianne in character than first thought?
4. Why is having sense so important to Elinor?
5. Is John completely dominated by his wife?
6. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
7. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
8. How is Mrs. Dashwood one of the more unselfish characters in the book?
9. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
10. How does Austen present the character of John Dashwood?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)