|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Marianne receive a letter from Willoughby?
(b) After breakfast
(c) After lunch
2. Who does Mrs. Jennings say Willoughby is now engaged to?
(c) Miss Grey
3. How much money does Edward earn per year?
(a) 1,800-2,000 pounds
(b) 1,000-2,000 pounds
(c) 10,000 pounds
(d) 3,000-4,000 pounds
4. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) John Willoughby
(b) Colonel Brandon
(c) Edward Ferrars
(d) John Dashwood
5. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Steele family
(b) The Ferrars family
(c) The Dashwood family
(d) The Partridge family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elinor see Willoughby with?
2. Which one of the sisters does Edward Ferrars devote his time to?
3. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
4. Whose lock of hair does Edward claim it is?
5. Why does Mrs. Jennings worry about the Colonel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
2. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
3. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
4. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
5. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
6. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
7. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
8. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
9. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
10. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)