|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
(a) Colonel Brandon and Lady Middleton
(b) Marianne and Colonel Brandon
(c) Marianne and Sir John
(d) Elinor and Colonel Brandon
2. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
(a) Two weeks
(b) A day
(c) A week
(d) A month
3. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
(a) A sum of money
(b) A bracelet
(c) A letter
(d) An invitation
4. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
(b) John Dashwood
5. Who is the first person to visit the sisters in London?
(b) Colonel Brandon
(d) Lucy Steele
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
2. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
3. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
4. Why does Marianne forgive the Colonel for not applauding?
5. Which character does Mrs. Dashwood take an immediate dislike to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
2. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
3. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
4. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
5. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
6. How does Elinor display her logic and rationality in this chapter?
7. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
8. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
9. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
10. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)