|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
(a) He wanted to get to know them better
(b) He needed them to do the house work
(c) He does not want to be left alone with his wife
(d) He will have to deliver furniture by boat rather than by road
2. Why is Lucy concerned about her engagement to Edward?
(a) He does not seem interested in her
(b) He is not attractive enough
(c) He has not bought her a ring
(d) He does not make enough money to keep a wife
3. Who does Sir John bring to Barton Park?
(a) John Dashwood
(d) The Steele sisters
4. What kind of woman does Marianne and Willoughby think Brandon attracts?
(a) Loose women
(b) Pleasant and kind women
(c) Insane women
(d) Widows and married women
5. Who does Elinor see Willoughby with?
(a) A fashionable looking young woman
(b) Lucy Steele
(c) A princess
(d) His elderly mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
2. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
3. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
4. What are the first names of the Steele sisters?
5. Who do the Dashwoods visit at the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
2. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
3. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
4. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
5. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
6. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
7. Do you think Mrs. Dashwood's love of her daughter holds them back?
8. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
9. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
10. How do the group's discussion of what they will do with a fortune express their individual characters?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)