|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He does not have any money
(b) He is not dashing enough
(c) He does not love her
(d) He does not have a job
2. What does Marianne want to do?
(b) Stay and fight for Willoughby
(c) Go home to Barton Cottage
(d) FInd another man
3. How long is the carriage ride to London?
(a) A week
(b) Ten days
(c) Three days
(d) Three hours
4. How much money does Fanny convince John to give his sisters and stepmother?
(a) 100 pounds
(b) 500 pounds
(d) 1,000 pounds
5. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
(a) Mr and Mrs Ferrars
(b) Sir John Middleton and Lady Middleton
(c) Fanny and John Dashwood
(d) Lucy and Anne Steele
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
2. How much money does Edward earn per year?
3. When does Marianne receive a letter from Willoughby?
4. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
5. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
2. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
3. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
4. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
5. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
6. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
7. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
8. What comparisons does Austen draw from the Dashwood's situation at Norland with John and their new situation in Barton with Sir John?
9. How does Edward's arrival produce new hope for the Dashwood's?
10. Why do you think Elinor tries to act normally with Edward even though she is upset with his strange behavior?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)