|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Dashwood family
(b) The Steele family
(c) The Ferrars family
(d) The Partridge family
2. Who do the Dashwoods visit at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) Lady Middleton
(b) John and Fanny Dashwood
3. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
(a) He needed them to do the house work
(b) He wanted to get to know them better
(c) He does not want to be left alone with his wife
(d) He will have to deliver furniture by boat rather than by road
4. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
(a) John Dashwood
5. Who saves Marianne from her twisted ankle?
(a) John Dashwood
(d) Mrs. Dashwood
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
2. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
3. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
4. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
5. Why does Elinor try to spend more time with Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Elinor and Edward's marriage a victory of true love over societal expectations?
2. Does Elinor make the right decision in telling her about Willoughby?
3. Describe Mrs. Jennings role within the story.
4. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
5. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
6. Why does the Colonel ask Elinor to tell Edward about his new position in the Parish?
7. In what ways are Marianne and Mrs. Dashwood alike?
8. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
9. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
10. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)