|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do they Steel sisters win over Lady Middleton?
(a) Telling her she is beautiful
(b) Making funny jokes
(c) Complementing her house
(d) By being friendly to her children
2. Who saves Marianne from her twisted ankle?
(a) John Dashwood
(d) Mrs. Dashwood
3. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
(a) That he is AWOL
(b) That he has had an unhappy love affair with a woman similar to Marianne
(c) That he is already married
(d) That he is in love with her
4. What does Marianne want to do?
(b) Go home to Barton Cottage
(c) Stay and fight for Willoughby
(d) FInd another man
5. Which part of London does Mrs. Jennings own a home?
(a) Oxford Street
(b) Baker Street
(c) Portman Square
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
2. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
3. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
4. Why does Elinor try to spend more time with Lucy?
5. How many marriages has Henry Dashwood had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
2. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
3. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
4. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
5. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
6. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
7. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
8. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
9. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
10. How does Edward's arrival produce new hope for the Dashwood's?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)