|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Dashwoods visit at the beginning of the chapter?
(b) Lady Middleton
(d) John and Fanny Dashwood
2. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He does not have a job
(b) He does not have any money
(c) He is not dashing enough
(d) He does not love her
3. Why is Lucy concerned about her engagement to Edward?
(a) He is not attractive enough
(b) He does not make enough money to keep a wife
(c) He has not bought her a ring
(d) He does not seem interested in her
4. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
(a) They were never really love
(b) Edward does not like socializing
(c) They never got engaged
(d) At least they can still be friendly
5. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They have already covered several topics
(b) They are both very reserved people
(c) They don't know each other well enough
(d) They hate each other
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
2. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
3. What are the first names of the Steele sisters?
4. Why is Marianne upset when the Dashwoods arrive back home?
5. What does Marianne do at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
2. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
3. Why do you think Edward never approaches the subject of why he is so upset?
4. Outline what you think are Elinor's main characteristics.
5. Do you think Mrs. Dashwood's love of her daughter holds them back?
6. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
7. Why do you think Austen presents Sir John and his wife as nice people, but overall overbred simpletons?
8. Is Marianne in love with Willoughby?
9. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
10. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)