|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marianne tells her sister she will try to love Edward in what way?
(a) Like an uncle
(b) Like a brother
(c) Like a friend
(d) Like a child
2. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
(a) Marianne and Sir John
(b) Elinor and Colonel Brandon
(c) Colonel Brandon and Lady Middleton
(d) Marianne and Colonel Brandon
3. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
(a) He wanted to get to know them better
(b) He will have to deliver furniture by boat rather than by road
(c) He does not want to be left alone with his wife
(d) He needed them to do the house work
4. Which character does Mrs. Dashwood take an immediate dislike to?
5. Why does Marianne forgive the Colonel for not applauding?
(a) He has a damaged hand
(b) He was smoking a pipe at the time
(c) He is much older than the others
(d) She loves him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marianne do at the party?
2. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
3. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
4. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
5. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
2. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
3. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
4. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
5. How does Elinor further show her tact in this chapter?
6. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
7. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
8. Is Brandon a good match for Elinor?
9. Why is the fact the sisters are going to London so important?
10. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)