|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Dashwoods visit in this chapter?
(b) Norland Estate
(c) The Middleton's house
(d) Barton Park
2. Why is Edward reluctant to leave?
(a) He does not want to leave Elinor
(b) He has nowhere to go
(c) He dislikes Fanny
(d) He dislikes Norland
3. Why does Marianne forgive the Colonel for not applauding?
(a) He has a damaged hand
(b) He was smoking a pipe at the time
(c) She loves him
(d) He is much older than the others
4. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
(a) Lucy and Anne Steele
(b) Mr and Mrs Ferrars
(c) Fanny and John Dashwood
(d) Sir John Middleton and Lady Middleton
5. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
(a) That he is in love with her
(b) That he has had an unhappy love affair with a woman similar to Marianne
(c) That he is AWOL
(d) That he is already married
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marianne want to do?
2. What does Elinor ask Mrs Jennings to stop doing?
3. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
4. How much money does Edward earn per year?
5. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elinor dislike Willoughby so much?
2. In what way does Austen use Colonel Brandon to highlight the sister's differences in character?
3. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
4. Why, if Elinor is so independent thinking and the one person in the family with sense, does she write to her mother for advice?
5. In this chapter, why is Brandon's sudden departure so important to the development of his character and particularly in comparison to Willoughby?
6. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
7. Why is Mrs. Dashwood so taken with Willoughby?
8. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
9. How is Willoughby's letter symbolize his manipulative nature?
10. What does Sir John's character say about eighteenth century upper class?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)