|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
2. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They hate each other
(b) They don't know each other well enough
(c) They have already covered several topics
(d) They are both very reserved people
3. Who does Elinor see Willoughby with?
(a) His elderly mother
(b) A fashionable looking young woman
(c) Lucy Steele
(d) A princess
4. How much money does Edward earn per year?
(a) 10,000 pounds
(b) 1,000-2,000 pounds
(c) 3,000-4,000 pounds
(d) 1,800-2,000 pounds
5. How much money does John initially decide to give his stepmother and sisters?
(a) 100 pounds
(b) 500 ponds
(c) 10,000 pounds
(d) 1,000 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
2. Who is Colonel Brandon fixated on?
3. How long is the carriage ride to London?
4. When does Marianne receive a letter from Willoughby?
5. What does Lucy want Edward to do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the importance of Willoughby is to the story at this point?
2. Do you think John and Fanny have illegitimate reasons for not giving money to the Dashwood's?
3. Is Elinor a better match for Edward than Lucy?
4. In what ways does Austen present Margaret as immature and a thorn in the flesh of the more practical Elinor?
5. Do you think John is a naturally selfish person, or has Fanny turned him against his family?
6. Is it important that Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are opposites?
7. Does Elinor strike up a friendship with Lucy because she likes her?
8. Why is Elinor presented as the one who will make the right decisions for the Dashwoods?
9. Why do you think that at this point in the story, Austen has given the reader a lot more information about Colonel Brandon than about Willoughby?
10. Is Mrs. Jennings merely a gossip, or does she genuinely care about people?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)