|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marianne reproach her sister for being?
(b) Emotionally detached
2. Why does Marianne not want to go to Cleveland?
(a) It is even further away from Barton cottage
(b) She is feeling ill
(c) It is near to Willoughby's family home
(d) It takes a week to travel there
3. Who is the letter to Marianne from?
(b) John Dashwood
(d) Her mother
4. What do Elinor's visitors in this chapter urge her to do while in Cleveland?
(a) Visit Edward
(b) Go mushroom picking
(c) Visit Colonel Brandon
(d) Try the local ale
5. What does Elinor decide about Mr. Palmer?
(a) He makes a good father
(b) That he is a nice, ordinary man
(c) He is rather handsome.
(d) He is poor
6. Why is Colonel Brandon pleased?
(a) Because of the attention Marianne bestows on him
(b) Because Mrs Dashwood buys him a thank you gift
(c) Because Marianne is better
(d) Because he has inherited some money
7. What did Edward come to regret?
(a) His friendship with Elinor
(b) That he was ever born
(c) His enagement to Lucy
(d) That he did not have a profession
8. How does Elinor react to Edward's sudden appearance?
(a) She walks out of the room
(b) She becomes the good hostess
(c) She shouts at Edward for playing with her feelings
(d) She tells Edward she loves him
9. What does Brandon say is the main problem with the parsonage?
(a) It is too small for a married couple
(b) It is too old and needs repairs
(c) It is not very pretty
(d) It is located outside the village
10. How long is the journey from London to Cleveland?
(a) Five days
(b) Ten days
(c) Four days
(d) Three days
11. Who does Mrs. Jennings think will be a minister at Elinor's wedding?
(c) Sir John
(d) John Dashwood
12. Why is Fanny happy that Edward has found a job at the parsonage?
(a) She won't have to support him.
(b) She can visit him.
(c) He has wanted to get a job all his life.
(d) He is finally doing something with his life
13. Why does John think Colonel Brandon lacks sense?
(a) He won't marry
(b) He has no money, but still refuses to work
(c) He loves Marianne
(d) He sold Edward the parsonage too cheaply
14. What does Elinor tell Marianne?
(a) That Willoughby never loved her
(b) That she is a bad person
(c) Willoughby's story about Miss Williams
(d) That Colonel Brandon wants to marry her
15. Why does Elinor think Lucy is attracted to Robert?
(a) He is better looking than Edward
(b) Because he stands to inherit a lot of money
(c) He is just like her sister Anne
(d) He is unpredictable
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colonel Brandon tell Elinor his story?
2. Who arrives to see Marianne?
3. What stops Colonel Brandon from leaving as well?
4. What does Elinor learn from Anne Steele?
5. Why does Elinor think she can feel sympathy for Willoughby?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)