|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Elinor send a letter to when she arrives in London?
(c) Her mother
2. What baffles Marianne?
(a) Edward's bad mood
(b) Elinor and Edward's logical conversation
(c) Edward's hat
(d) Edward's poetry
3. What does Marianne notice under Edward's ring?
(a) A piece of paper
(b) A lock of a hair
(d) A small photograph
4. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
(a) He is waiting to inherit his father's business
(b) He was unable to choose a profession when he was younger
(c) He had his leg amputated
(d) He failed university
5. Which two sisters go for a walk in the country?
(a) Margaret and Elinor
(b) Margaret and Marianne
(c) Elinor and Fanny
(d) Marianne and Elinor
6. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
(a) She insults Elinor
(b) She entered Willoughby's house alone with him
(c) She offends the Colonel
(d) She refuses to play the piano
7. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
8. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He does not love her
(b) He does not have any money
(c) He is not dashing enough
(d) He does not have a job
9. How many marriages has Henry Dashwood had?
10. What information is Marianne unwilling to share with her mother?
(a) Her love for Willoughby
(b) Her conversation with Elinor
(c) Her trip to Sir John's house
(d) Her engagement to Willoughby
11. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
(a) When her daughter's marry
(c) When they have settled in.
(d) When the weather improves
12. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
(a) That he is in love with her
(b) That he is AWOL
(c) That he is already married
(d) That he has had an unhappy love affair with a woman similar to Marianne
13. What does Marianne want to do?
(a) Stay and fight for Willoughby
(c) FInd another man
(d) Go home to Barton Cottage
14. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
(a) London is too humid
(b) Willoughby will contract a cold
(c) Willoughby will come back from his outdoor pursuits
(d) She wants to have an excuse to stay inside and read
15. Why is Marianne upset when the Dashwoods arrive back home?
(a) Willoughby is leaving
(b) She has broken her foot
(c) Willoughby has broken off their engagement
(d) She has broken Mrs. Dashwood's best china
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
2. Who does Mrs. Jennings say Willoughby is now engaged to?
3. Who is Colonel Brandon fixated on?
4. What does Lucy ask Elinor to do to help Edward become a minister?
5. What does Willoughby stand to inherit?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)