|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucy ask Elinor to do to help Edward become a minister?
(a) Talk to him about it
(b) Let him be the rector at her wedding
(c) Buy him a bible
(d) Persuade John to give Edward Norland Parish
2. Why does Mrs. Dashwood like Edward?
(a) He comes from a good family
(b) He is sensitive and loving
(c) He is a fabulous artist
(d) He is rich
3. What is the name of the Dashwood's new cottage?
(a) Barton Cottage
(b) Norland Cottage
(c) Middleton Cottage
(d) Brittle Cottage
4. Where do the Palmers live?
(d) The Lake District
5. Which part of London does Mrs. Jennings own a home?
(a) Portman Square
(b) Oxford Street
(d) Baker Street
6. Why does Mrs. Jennings worry about the Colonel?
(a) He is feeling ill
(b) She thinks he may have a wife
(c) He has been called up to the army
(d) He is in love with her
7. Why does Mrs. Jennings say Sir John will be disappointed?
(a) He will be unable to hunt
(b) He will not get to see Edward
(c) He will not be able to go to the opera
(d) He thinks she lives in a mansion
8. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He lives too far away
(b) He was in too much debt
(c) His family would not allow it
(d) He did not love her
9. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
10. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
(a) To visit his sick father
(b) To visit his sick mother
(c) To visit his illegitimate daughter
(d) To take part in a parade
11. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
12. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) Edward Ferrars
(c) Colonel Brandon
(d) John Willoughby
13. What does Colonel Brandon pay close attention to?
(a) Mrs Dashwood's problems
(b) Marianne's dress
(c) Marianne's piano playing
(d) Elinor's eyes
14. How much money does John initially decide to give his stepmother and sisters?
(a) 500 ponds
(b) 100 pounds
(c) 10,000 pounds
(d) 1,000 pounds
15. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
(b) Ugly and dark
(c) Not in good spirits
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
2. What is John's opinion of Willoughby?
3. What are the first names of the Steele sisters?
4. What arrives at Mrs. Jennings house while they are out?
5. Which of the Steele sisters does Elinor become friends with?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)