|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following comments upsets Edward?
(a) That he has pig like eyes
(b) That he is reserved
(c) That he has no taste
(d) That he does not genuinely love Elinor
2. Who is Colonel Brandon fixated on?
(b) Mrs Dashwood
3. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
(a) To visit his illegitimate daughter
(b) To visit his sick mother
(c) To take part in a parade
(d) To visit his sick father
4. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Steele family
(b) The Partridge family
(c) The Ferrars family
(d) The Dashwood family
5. How does Austen describe the cottage?
(a) Small but comfortable
(c) A fire hazard
(d) Large, empty and lonely
6. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
(c) John Dashwood
7. Who do the Dashwoods visit at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) Lady Middleton
(b) John and Fanny Dashwood
8. Who does Mrs. Jennings say is coming to town?
(a) The Middletons
(b) Mrs. Dashwood
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Palmer
(d) The Steele sisters
9. What is the name of the Dashwood's new cottage?
(a) Brittle Cottage
(b) Barton Cottage
(c) Norland Cottage
(d) Middleton Cottage
10. Marianne tells her sister she will try to love Edward in what way?
(a) Like a brother
(b) Like a friend
(c) Like an uncle
(d) Like a child
11. What kind of woman does Marianne and Willoughby think Brandon attracts?
(a) Loose women
(b) Widows and married women
(c) Insane women
(d) Pleasant and kind women
12. Who does Mrs.Jennings bring for a visit?
(a) Fanny and John Dashwood
(b) John Willoughby
(c) The Steele sisters
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Palmer
13. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They don't know each other well enough
(b) They are both very reserved people
(c) They hate each other
(d) They have already covered several topics
14. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Give them a yearly allowance
(c) Find a job
(d) Marry a woman of higher standing
15. What baffles Marianne?
(a) Edward's bad mood
(b) Edward's hat
(c) Edward's poetry
(d) Elinor and Edward's logical conversation
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Fanny convince John to give his sisters and stepmother?
2. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
3. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
4. What arrives at Mrs. Jennings house while they are out?
5. Who does Sir John bring to Barton Park?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)