|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sir John bring to Barton Park?
(a) The Steele sisters
(b) John Dashwood
2. Why does Mrs. Dashwood like Edward?
(a) He is a fabulous artist
(b) He comes from a good family
(c) He is rich
(d) He is sensitive and loving
3. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
(a) A month
(b) Two weeks
(c) A week
(d) A day
4. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
(a) A conversation about Fanny's meaness
(b) A conversation about money
(c) A conversation about children
(d) A conversation about love
5. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
6. Where do the Palmers live?
(a) The Lake District
7. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
(a) Colonel Brandon and Lady Middleton
(b) Marianne and Sir John
(c) Elinor and Colonel Brandon
(d) Marianne and Colonel Brandon
8. Which part of London does Mrs. Jennings own a home?
(a) Baker Street
(c) Oxford Street
(d) Portman Square
9. What does Lucy want Edward to do for a living?
(a) Become a playwright
(b) Become a politician
(c) Become a minister
(d) Become an actor
10. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
(a) That he is AWOL
(b) That he is already married
(c) That he has had an unhappy love affair with a woman similar to Marianne
(d) That he is in love with her
11. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
(a) To take part in a parade
(b) To visit his sick father
(c) To visit his sick mother
(d) To visit his illegitimate daughter
12. Where do the Dashwoods visit in this chapter?
(a) Norland Estate
(b) The Middleton's house
(d) Barton Park
13. Why is Edward reluctant to leave?
(a) He has nowhere to go
(b) He dislikes Fanny
(c) He dislikes Norland
(d) He does not want to leave Elinor
14. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
(a) He needed them to do the house work
(b) He will have to deliver furniture by boat rather than by road
(c) He does not want to be left alone with his wife
(d) He wanted to get to know them better
15. Who do the Dashwoods visit at the beginning of the chapter?
(c) John and Fanny Dashwood
(d) Lady Middleton
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nearby manor do the character's intend to visit the next day?
2. Which of the Steele sisters does Elinor become friends with?
3. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
4. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
5. Whom does Elinor send a letter to when she arrives in London?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)