|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He does not have a job
(b) He does not love her
(c) He does not have any money
(d) He is not dashing enough
2. How long is the carriage ride to London?
(a) Ten days
(b) Three hours
(c) A week
(d) Three days
3. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A dog
(b) A goat
(c) A pony
(d) A horse
4. Why does Elinor try to spend more time with Lucy?
(a) To find out if she is a nice person
(b) To talk about art
(c) Because she likes her
(d) To find out about her relationship with Edward
5. How does Elinor keep herself busy when Edward leaves?
(a) She visits the Middleton's everyday
(b) She goes for walks with Mariane
(c) She draws
(d) She does the housework
6. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
(a) They were never really love
(b) They never got engaged
(c) At least they can still be friendly
(d) Edward does not like socializing
7. What is the name of the Dashwood's new cottage?
(a) Barton Cottage
(b) Middleton Cottage
(c) Norland Cottage
(d) Brittle Cottage
8. What does Elinor ask Mrs Jennings to stop doing?
(a) Talking to her sister about WIlloughby
(b) Spreading rumors
(c) Sending Willoughby letters
(d) Nagging her to tidy up
9. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) His family would not allow it
(b) He did not love her
(c) He lives too far away
(d) He was in too much debt
10. Who does Sir John bring to Barton Park?
(b) The Steele sisters
(d) John Dashwood
11. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
(a) That she owes Willoughby money
(b) Her engagement to Willoughby
(c) Her birth
(d) Her love for Willoughby
12. What kind of woman does Marianne and Willoughby think Brandon attracts?
(a) Insane women
(b) Loose women
(c) Pleasant and kind women
(d) Widows and married women
13. What are the first names of the Steele sisters?
(a) Fran and Elizabeth
(b) Paula and Rose
(c) Anne and Lucy
(d) Daisy and Petal
14. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Partridge family
(b) The Ferrars family
(c) The Dashwood family
(d) The Steele family
15. Which of the following comments upsets Edward?
(a) That he does not genuinely love Elinor
(b) That he has pig like eyes
(c) That he is reserved
(d) That he has no taste
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Dashwood not want her daughters to mingle?
2. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
3. How many marriages has Henry Dashwood had?
4. Which one of the sisters does Edward Ferrars devote his time to?
5. Who saves Marianne from her twisted ankle?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)