|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Mrs.Dashwood's suggestions upset Willoughby?
(a) That he should marry Elinor
(b) That she may change the cottage
(c) That he is not a good match for Marianne
(d) That they are thinking of moving to a bigger house
2. Who does Mrs. Jennings say is coming to town?
(a) The Steele sisters
(b) Mrs. Dashwood
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Palmer
(d) The Middletons
3. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
(b) When her daughter's marry
(c) When they have settled in.
(d) When the weather improves
4. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
(a) An invitation
(b) A letter
(c) A sum of money
(d) A bracelet
5. Why does Mrs. Jennings say Sir John will be disappointed?
(a) He will be unable to hunt
(b) He thinks she lives in a mansion
(c) He will not get to see Edward
(d) He will not be able to go to the opera
6. What does Marianne notice under Edward's ring?
(a) A small photograph
(c) A piece of paper
(d) A lock of a hair
7. Where do the Palmers live?
(b) The Lake District
8. What is John's opinion of Willoughby?
(a) He is a good man
(b) He is dimwitted
(c) He is a libertine
(d) He has a dark past
9. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
(a) A day
(b) A week
(c) A month
(d) Two weeks
10. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
(b) Not in good spirits
(c) Ugly and dark
11. What does Lucy want Edward to do for a living?
(a) Become a playwright
(b) Become a politician
(c) Become a minister
(d) Become an actor
12. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A dog
(b) A horse
(c) A goat
(d) A pony
13. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
(a) Willoughby will contract a cold
(b) London is too humid
(c) She wants to have an excuse to stay inside and read
(d) Willoughby will come back from his outdoor pursuits
14. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He was in too much debt
(b) His family would not allow it
(c) He lives too far away
(d) He did not love her
15. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
(a) Lucy and Anne Steele
(b) Sir John Middleton and Lady Middleton
(c) Mr and Mrs Ferrars
(d) Fanny and John Dashwood
Short Answer Questions
1. How many marriages has Henry Dashwood had?
2. Where do the Dashwoods visit in this chapter?
3. Who does Mrs. Jennings say Willoughby is now engaged to?
4. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
5. What does Colonel Brandon pay close attention to?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)