|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They don't know each other well enough
(b) They have already covered several topics
(c) They are both very reserved people
(d) They hate each other
2. Which two character does Mrs. Jennings try to match up?
(a) Elinor and Colonel Brandon
(b) Marianne and Sir John
(c) Colonel Brandon and Lady Middleton
(d) Marianne and Colonel Brandon
3. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Find a job
(b) Marry a woman of higher standing
(d) Give them a yearly allowance
4. How does Austen describe the cottage?
(a) Large, empty and lonely
(b) A fire hazard
(c) Small but comfortable
5. Why does Mrs. Jennings say Sir John will be disappointed?
(a) He will not get to see Edward
(b) He will not be able to go to the opera
(c) He thinks she lives in a mansion
(d) He will be unable to hunt
6. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
(a) That she is moving
(b) That she does not like his wife
(c) That she never wants to see again
(d) That she thinks he is greedy
7. Which of the following words does Austen use to describe Sir John?
(a) A sportsman
(b) A charlatan
(c) A rogue
(d) A libertine
8. When does Marianne receive a letter from Willoughby?
(c) After lunch
(d) After breakfast
9. Who does Elinor hope to find more about while in London?
(d) John Dashwood
10. How long is the carriage ride to London?
(a) Three days
(b) Ten days
(c) Three hours
(d) A week
11. How does Elinor keep herself busy when Edward leaves?
(a) She does the housework
(b) She draws
(c) She goes for walks with Mariane
(d) She visits the Middleton's everyday
12. Which of the following comments upsets Edward?
(a) That he has pig like eyes
(b) That he has no taste
(c) That he is reserved
(d) That he does not genuinely love Elinor
13. How much money does John initially decide to give his stepmother and sisters?
(a) 500 ponds
(b) 100 pounds
(c) 1,000 pounds
(d) 10,000 pounds
14. How many marriages has Henry Dashwood had?
15. How much money does Fanny convince John to give his sisters and stepmother?
(b) 1,000 pounds
(c) 500 pounds
(d) 100 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Jennings say Willoughby is now engaged to?
2. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
3. Why does Elinor chastise her sister?
4. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
5. Who does Mrs.Jennings bring for a visit?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)