|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marianne do at the party?
(c) Play the piano
2. What kind of woman does Marianne and Willoughby think Brandon attracts?
(a) Pleasant and kind women
(b) Loose women
(c) Insane women
(d) Widows and married women
3. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A horse
(b) A pony
(c) A goat
(d) A dog
4. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He did not love her
(b) He lives too far away
(c) His family would not allow it
(d) He was in too much debt
5. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
(a) Fanny and John Dashwood
(b) Sir John Middleton and Lady Middleton
(c) Mr and Mrs Ferrars
(d) Lucy and Anne Steele
6. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Give them a yearly allowance
(b) Marry a woman of higher standing
(d) Find a job
7. Which two sisters go for a walk in the country?
(a) Marianne and Elinor
(b) Margaret and Elinor
(c) Elinor and Fanny
(d) Margaret and Marianne
8. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
(a) A conversation about children
(b) A conversation about Fanny's meaness
(c) A conversation about love
(d) A conversation about money
9. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
(a) He was unable to choose a profession when he was younger
(b) He failed university
(c) He is waiting to inherit his father's business
(d) He had his leg amputated
10. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
(a) To visit his sick father
(b) To visit his illegitimate daughter
(c) To take part in a parade
(d) To visit his sick mother
11. What does Willoughby stand to inherit?
(a) A home and a fortune from an old lady
(b) Oxford Street in London
(d) A shipping business
12. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
(a) That she never wants to see again
(b) That she thinks he is greedy
(c) That she does not like his wife
(d) That she is moving
13. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) Edward Ferrars
(c) Colonel Brandon
(d) John Willoughby
14. Who does Mrs. Jennings say Willoughby is now engaged to?
(b) Miss Grey
15. Why does Marianne forgive the Colonel for not applauding?
(a) She loves him
(b) He was smoking a pipe at the time
(c) He has a damaged hand
(d) He is much older than the others
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the carriage ride to London?
2. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
3. Who saves Marianne from her twisted ankle?
4. Why does John express sorrow to the fact the Dashwoods are moving so faraway?
5. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)