|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They have already covered several topics
(b) They don't know each other well enough
(c) They are both very reserved people
(d) They hate each other
2. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He lives too far away
(b) His family would not allow it
(c) He was in too much debt
(d) He did not love her
3. Whose lock of hair does Edward claim it is?
(b) His own
(c) His brother's
4. What kind of woman does Marianne and Willoughby think Brandon attracts?
(a) Insane women
(b) Widows and married women
(c) Pleasant and kind women
(d) Loose women
5. How does Elinor keep herself busy when Edward leaves?
(a) She draws
(b) She visits the Middleton's everyday
(c) She goes for walks with Mariane
(d) She does the housework
6. Why does Elinor think her situation with Edward is better than Marianne's situation with Willoughby?
(a) They were never really love
(b) At least they can still be friendly
(c) Edward does not like socializing
(d) They never got engaged
7. How long is the carriage ride to London?
(a) A week
(b) Three hours
(c) Three days
(d) Ten days
8. Why is Edward reluctant to leave?
(a) He has nowhere to go
(b) He dislikes Fanny
(c) He does not want to leave Elinor
(d) He dislikes Norland
9. What does Marianne do at the party?
(a) Play the piano
10. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
(a) That he has had an unhappy love affair with a woman similar to Marianne
(b) That he is in love with her
(c) That he is already married
(d) That he is AWOL
11. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
(a) A week
(b) One month
(c) Six weeks
(d) Two months
12. Which of the sisters stays behind from visiting Lady Middleton?
13. Why is Marianne not happy Edward is marrying Elinor?
(a) He is not dashing enough
(b) He does not have any money
(c) He does not have a job
(d) He does not love her
14. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
(a) Willoughby will come back from his outdoor pursuits
(b) She wants to have an excuse to stay inside and read
(c) Willoughby will contract a cold
(d) London is too humid
15. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Find a job
(b) Marry a woman of higher standing
(c) Give them a yearly allowance
Short Answer Questions
1. What baffles Marianne?
2. Why has Edward ended up having a idle life?
3. Which of Mrs.Dashwood's suggestions upset Willoughby?
4. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
5. Which one of the sisters does Edward Ferrars devote his time to?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)