|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Dashwood's new cottage?
(a) Brittle Cottage
(b) Barton Cottage
(c) Middleton Cottage
(d) Norland Cottage
2. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
(a) A conversation about children
(b) A conversation about money
(c) A conversation about Fanny's meaness
(d) A conversation about love
3. Why does Mrs. Jennings say Sir John will be disappointed?
(a) He will not be able to go to the opera
(b) He will be unable to hunt
(c) He will not get to see Edward
(d) He thinks she lives in a mansion
4. Why does Mrs. Jennings worry about the Colonel?
(a) He has been called up to the army
(b) He is feeling ill
(c) He is in love with her
(d) She thinks he may have a wife
5. What does Marianne notice under Edward's ring?
(b) A piece of paper
(c) A small photograph
(d) A lock of a hair
6. Who does Mrs.Jennings bring for a visit?
(a) Fanny and John Dashwood
(b) The Steele sisters
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Palmer
(d) John Willoughby
7. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
(a) Six weeks
(b) A week
(c) Two months
(d) One month
8. Why does Marianne forgive the Colonel for not applauding?
(a) He was smoking a pipe at the time
(b) He has a damaged hand
(c) She loves him
(d) He is much older than the others
9. What information is Marianne unwilling to share with her mother?
(a) Her trip to Sir John's house
(b) Her conversation with Elinor
(c) Her engagement to Willoughby
(d) Her love for Willoughby
10. Why does Mrs. Dashwood not want her daughters to mingle?
(a) She does not like Sir John
(b) She does not want the girls to borrow Sir John's carriage
(c) They are no suitable men to mingle with
(d) She is worried for their safety
11. Why is Marianne upset when the Dashwoods arrive back home?
(a) Willoughby has broken off their engagement
(b) She has broken her foot
(c) She has broken Mrs. Dashwood's best china
(d) Willoughby is leaving
12. Who do the Dashwoods encounter on a walk in the countryside?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) No one
(c) John Willoughby
(d) Edward Ferrars
13. What arrives at Mrs. Jennings house while they are out?
(a) A carriage
(b) A gift from Willoughby
(c) A horse
(d) A card from Willoughby
14. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A dog
(b) A goat
(c) A pony
(d) A horse
15. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Steele family
(b) The Ferrars family
(c) The Dashwood family
(d) The Partridge family
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs Jennings think the Colonel is left town for?
2. How does Elinor keep herself busy when Edward leaves?
3. Which part of London does Mrs. Jennings own a home?
4. Who does Mrs. Jennings say is coming to town?
5. Why does Elinor persuade her sister to stay in London?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)