|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marianne do at the party?
(b) Play the piano
2. Why does Marianne hope for cold weather?
(a) London is too humid
(b) She wants to have an excuse to stay inside and read
(c) Willoughby will come back from his outdoor pursuits
(d) Willoughby will contract a cold
3. Who do the Dashwoods encounter on a walk in the countryside?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) No one
(c) Edward Ferrars
(d) John Willoughby
4. What does Elinor ask Marianne proof of?
(a) Her love for Willoughby
(b) That she owes Willoughby money
(c) Her engagement to Willoughby
(d) Her birth
5. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
(a) A bracelet
(b) An invitation
(c) A sum of money
(d) A letter
6. Which nearby manor do the character's intend to visit the next day?
7. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Marry a woman of higher standing
(c) Find a job
(d) Give them a yearly allowance
8. Whom does Elinor send a letter to when she arrives in London?
(d) Her mother
9. What does Colonel Brandon pay close attention to?
(a) Elinor's eyes
(b) Mrs Dashwood's problems
(c) Marianne's piano playing
(d) Marianne's dress
10. Which of the following phrases does Austen use to describe Edward's mood?
(b) Ugly and dark
(c) Not in good spirits
11. Which of the Steele sisters does Elinor become friends with?
12. Which family does Austen immediately introduce in this chapter?
(a) The Steele family
(b) The Dashwood family
(c) The Ferrars family
(d) The Partridge family
13. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He lives too far away
(b) He was in too much debt
(c) He did not love her
(d) His family would not allow it
14. What information is Marianne unwilling to share with her mother?
(a) Her engagement to Willoughby
(b) Her trip to Sir John's house
(c) Her conversation with Elinor
(d) Her love for Willoughby
15. Why does Elinor persuade her sister to stay in London?
(a) She is not well enogh to travel
(b) She wants to find a job
(c) She does not want to seem rude to Mrs Jennings
(d) She wants to see Edward
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic of conversation do the Dashwoods draw Edward into?
2. What secret does Brandon reveal to Elinor?
3. For how long do Lucy and Anne stay at Barton Park?
4. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
5. What does Marianne notice under Edward's ring?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)