|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dashwood inform John of in this chapter?
(a) That she does not like his wife
(b) That she is moving
(c) That she thinks he is greedy
(d) That she never wants to see again
2. How long does Edward stay with the Dashwoods?
(a) A month
(b) A week
(c) Two weeks
(d) A day
3. Marianne tells her sister she will try to love Edward in what way?
(a) Like a child
(b) Like an uncle
(c) Like a friend
(d) Like a brother
4. Which of the following characters is also present at the Middleton's dinner party?
(a) John Dashwood
(b) John Willoughby
(c) Colonel Brandon
(d) Edward Ferrars
5. What does Willoughby offer Marianne as a present?
(a) A goat
(b) A horse
(c) A pony
(d) A dog
6. Why does Elinor try to spend more time with Lucy?
(a) To talk about art
(b) Because she likes her
(c) To find out about her relationship with Edward
(d) To find out if she is a nice person
7. Which two major character does Austen introduce in this chapter?
(a) Mr and Mrs Ferrars
(b) Fanny and John Dashwood
(c) Lucy and Anne Steele
(d) Sir John Middleton and Lady Middleton
8. Which part of London does Mrs. Jennings own a home?
(a) Baker Street
(c) Portman Square
(d) Oxford Street
9. Why is Edward reluctant to leave?
(a) He has nowhere to go
(b) He dislikes Fanny
(c) He does not want to leave Elinor
(d) He dislikes Norland
10. Why could Willoughby not marry Marianne?
(a) He did not love her
(b) He lives too far away
(c) His family would not allow it
(d) He was in too much debt
11. Which of the daughters is described as having "strength and understanding"?
12. Why does Mrs. Dashwood not want her daughters to mingle?
(a) She does not want the girls to borrow Sir John's carriage
(b) They are no suitable men to mingle with
(c) She does not like Sir John
(d) She is worried for their safety
13. What does Elinor worry Edward's mother and sister will force him to do?
(a) Give them a yearly allowance
(c) Find a job
(d) Marry a woman of higher standing
14. When does Mrs. Dashwood want to make changes to the cottage?
(b) When they have settled in.
(c) When her daughter's marry
(d) When the weather improves
15. Why does Elinor wonder if Marianne and Willoughby will be able to sustain a conversation?
(a) They hate each other
(b) They are both very reserved people
(c) They have already covered several topics
(d) They don't know each other well enough
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does John initially decide to give his stepmother and sisters?
2. How do they Steel sisters win over Lady Middleton?
3. What arrives at Mrs. Jennings house while they are out?
4. What baffles Marianne?
5. What does Colonel Brando receive before the trip to Whitwell?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)