|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson claim has happened to "the highest truth on this subject" in referencing the point of the essay overall?
2. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
3. What does Emerson say are "another sort of false prayer"?
4. Who instructed the world, according to Emerson?
5. What does Emerson claim we have become, in stating that man will see that we need his ethics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Emerson's view of children and youth? Compare this with his view on adults within society.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's comparison of society to a joint-stock company by explaining what a joint-stock company is and how it works, as well as Emerson's ideas about society's investments and duties and what society receives for it's role in "the company."
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)