|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson claim we have become, in stating that man will see that we need his ethics?
2. Which of the following things does Emerson NOT name in explaining what man is "one with"?
3. What does Emerson say he likes "better than any preaching"?
4. Emerson explains what underlies the present and life and death. What is it?
5. Whom does Emerson say we should awaken when entering "into the state of war"?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson think of professional setbacks? Describe his point of view and state whether you think this point of view is practicable in real life. Defend your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)