|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the attribute of the Supreme Cause according to Emerson?
2. "Nature suffers nothing to remain in her kingdoms which..."?
3. Which system does Emerson accuse of fostering restlessness?
4. Emerson states, "The way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new." What does he mean?
5. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a detailed explanation of how Emerson recommends dealing with relationships with friends and family in paragraph 30 and defend or contradict his recommendation.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Emerson's essay is relevant to the issue of peer pressure today? Why or why not? Give some examples.
Essay Topic 3
In paragraph 25, Emerson writes: "When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; ... the way ... shall be wholly strange and new." Explain what Emerson means by this and use this idea to describe what Emerson believes a life of self-reliance is like.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)