|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
2. What does Emerson say the man who is "really of their class" will be the founder of?
3. What is it that man no longer dares to say, according to Emerson?
4. Emerson compares society to what in saying "(it) moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not"?
5. Emerson says that another person of greater obedience can master him, although he does not do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 15, Emerson writes: "Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment." Explain this idea, clarifying Emerson's views on overt actions and describing what his figurative language at the end of the sentence means.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)