|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson states, "The way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new." What does he mean?
2. Emerson says that another person of greater obedience can master him, although he does not do what?
3. Emerson compares society to what in saying "(it) moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not"?
4. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
5. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)