|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say we can know about justice?
2. What does Emerson say the civilized man no longer know thanks to the Greenwich nautical almanac he has?
3. In writing about strength, to whom does Emerson compare the American?
4. Emerson claims that a man or company of men can overpower "all cities, nations, kings, rich men, poets" when he or they posses which characteristic?
5. At what have men looked "so long that they have come to esteem the religious, learned, and civil institutions as guards"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your view of the role of education in fostering such values as self-reliance. In what ways does formal education have an effect on self-reliance? In what ways does self-reliance have to be fostered outside of formal education?
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)