|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
2. What does Emerson call history a parable of?
3. Emerson laments that strong intellects "dare not yet hear God himself, unless he speak the phraseology of..." whom?
4. At what have men looked "so long that they have come to esteem the religious, learned, and civil institutions as guards"?
5. What does Emerson recommend we do in our relationships with our family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of self-perception in becoming self-reliant. Consider Emerson's example of the "sot" who wakes up in the duke's house washed and dressed, and explain Emerson's view of how what we feel about ourselves affects our autonomy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in Emerson's life. In what ways was Emerson religiously involved? What do you know about his opinions about religion? Finally, how do you think Emerson's involvement and views on religion are visible in his work?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)