|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson call "primary wisdom"?
2. What is the definition of "docility" as used by Emerson ("our docility to our own law")?
3. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
4. Who instructed the world, according to Emerson?
5. Which of the following does Emerson NOT list in the aspects of life in which "It is easy to see that a greater self-reliance must work a revolution"?
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 26, Emerson says, "A man or a company of men, plastic and permeable to principles ... by the law of nature must overpower and ride all cities, nations, kings, rich men, poets, who are not." Explain what Emerson means by this quote and give your own opinion on this subject, backing your opinion up with specific arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Give a detailed explanation of how Emerson recommends dealing with relationships with friends and family in paragraph 30 and defend or contradict his recommendation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)