|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
2. How does Emerson describe perception?
3. Who instructed the world, according to Emerson?
4. What does Emerson say we can know about justice?
5. What does Emerson say it requires to "cast off the common motives of humanity"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Emerson's essay is relevant to the issue of peer pressure today? Why or why not? Give some examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of self-perception in becoming self-reliant. Consider Emerson's example of the "sot" who wakes up in the duke's house washed and dressed, and explain Emerson's view of how what we feel about ourselves affects our autonomy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)