|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson explains what underlies the present and life and death. What is it?
2. What does Emerson say it requires to "cast off the common motives of humanity"?
3. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
4. What does Emerson say he likes "better than any preaching"?
5. In the state of having "life in yourself" that Emerson describes, what does he claim is of no account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
Essay Topic 2
In paragraph 26, Emerson says, "A man or a company of men, plastic and permeable to principles ... by the law of nature must overpower and ride all cities, nations, kings, rich men, poets, who are not." Explain what Emerson means by this quote and give your own opinion on this subject, backing your opinion up with specific arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)