|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said "To the persevering mortal ... the blessed Immortals are swift"?
2. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
3. Emerson explains what underlies the present and life and death. What is it?
4. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
5. In the state of having "life in yourself" that Emerson describes, what does he claim is of no account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's comparison of society to a joint-stock company by explaining what a joint-stock company is and how it works, as well as Emerson's ideas about society's investments and duties and what society receives for it's role in "the company."
Essay Topic 3
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)