Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
2. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
5. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
Essay Topic 1
What does Emerson say the world has learned from its kings? Describe Emerson's view and give your own opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion in Emerson's life. In what ways was Emerson religiously involved? What do you know about his opinions about religion? Finally, how do you think Emerson's involvement and views on religion are visible in his work?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)