Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
2. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
5. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
In paragraph 25, Emerson writes: "When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; ... the way ... shall be wholly strange and new." Explain what Emerson means by this and use this idea to describe what Emerson believes a life of self-reliance is like.
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)