|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson describe perception?
2. What does Emerson say it requires to "cast off the common motives of humanity"?
3. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
4. Which virtue is paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
5. In the state of having "life in yourself" that Emerson describes, what does he claim is of no account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson think of professional setbacks? Describe his point of view and state whether you think this point of view is practicable in real life. Defend your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Emerson's essay is relevant to the issue of peer pressure today? Why or why not? Give some examples.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)