|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of prayer does Emerson call "vicious"?
2. Emerson laments that strong intellects "dare not yet hear God himself, unless he speak the phraseology of..." whom?
3. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
4. What does Emerson say goes with him everywhere he goes?
5. Who does Emerson say has chosen "our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 26, Emerson says, "A man or a company of men, plastic and permeable to principles ... by the law of nature must overpower and ride all cities, nations, kings, rich men, poets, who are not." Explain what Emerson means by this quote and give your own opinion on this subject, backing your opinion up with specific arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's comparison of society to a joint-stock company by explaining what a joint-stock company is and how it works, as well as Emerson's ideas about society's investments and duties and what society receives for it's role in "the company."
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)