|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
2. What does Emerson claim society never does?
3. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
4. Emerson states that we are "like children" who do what?
5. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between art, literature and philosophy described by Emerson in "Self-Reliance"? Explain what Emerson says about the effects art and literature have on the way people form their own opinions and his opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain your view of the role of education in fostering such values as self-reliance. In what ways does formal education have an effect on self-reliance? In what ways does self-reliance have to be fostered outside of formal education?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)