|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
2. What does Emerson mean in saying that there "will be power not confident but agent" when the soul is present?
3. What does Emerson say conspires against "the sanity and authority of the soul"?
4. When does Emerson claim power ceases?
5. What does Emerson say it requires to "cast off the common motives of humanity"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
Essay Topic 3
What is Emerson's view of children and youth? Compare this with his view on adults within society.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)