|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
2. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
5. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 2
What does Emerson think of professional setbacks? Describe his point of view and state whether you think this point of view is practicable in real life. Defend your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What does Emerson say about virtue as it relates to kings and nobles vs. common people? What do you think Emerson is trying to persuade people to do with his writings on this topic? Why?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)