|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say goes with him everywhere he goes?
2. Which of the following does Emerson NOT use as an example of self-sufficiency?
3. How does Emerson claim we give men the power to annoy us?
4. Emerson compares society to what in saying "(it) moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not"?
5. When does Emerson claim that the luster "will be transferred from the actions of kings to those of gentlemen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
Essay Topic 2
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 3
In paragraph 26, Emerson says, "A man or a company of men, plastic and permeable to principles ... by the law of nature must overpower and ride all cities, nations, kings, rich men, poets, who are not." Explain what Emerson means by this quote and give your own opinion on this subject, backing your opinion up with specific arguments.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)