Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
2. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
5. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
In paragraph 15, Emerson writes: "Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment." Explain this idea, clarifying Emerson's views on overt actions and describing what his figurative language at the end of the sentence means.
In paragraph 25, Emerson writes: "When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; ... the way ... shall be wholly strange and new." Explain what Emerson means by this and use this idea to describe what Emerson believes a life of self-reliance is like.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)