|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
2. When does Emerson claim power ceases?
3. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
4. What does Emerson NOT say is a good reason to travel?
5. What has the world been taught by "this colossal symbol," the world's instructors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Emerson say the world has learned from its kings? Describe Emerson's view and give your own opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
Essay Topic 3
What is Emerson's view of children and youth? Compare this with his view on adults within society.
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)