|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
2. Which faith does Emerson NOT mention as an example of "creeds and churches"?
3. What does Emerson say we can know about justice?
4. What do Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus have in common?
5. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of self-perception in becoming self-reliant. Consider Emerson's example of the "sot" who wakes up in the duke's house washed and dressed, and explain Emerson's view of how what we feel about ourselves affects our autonomy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)