|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say will explain "the magnetism which all original action exerts"?
2. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
3. "Nature suffers nothing to remain in her kingdoms which..."?
4. What do our first journeys reveal?
5. Which of the following countries does Emerson NOT mention in talking about traveling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's comparison of society to a joint-stock company by explaining what a joint-stock company is and how it works, as well as Emerson's ideas about society's investments and duties and what society receives for it's role in "the company."
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between art, literature and philosophy described by Emerson in "Self-Reliance"? Explain what Emerson says about the effects art and literature have on the way people form their own opinions and his opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)