|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson claim we give men the power to annoy us?
2. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
4. Emerson states, "The way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new." What does he mean?
5. Which virtue is paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between art, literature and philosophy described by Emerson in "Self-Reliance"? Explain what Emerson says about the effects art and literature have on the way people form their own opinions and his opinion on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in Emerson's life. In what ways was Emerson religiously involved? What do you know about his opinions about religion? Finally, how do you think Emerson's involvement and views on religion are visible in his work?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)