|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson states that we are "like children" who do what?
2. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
3. Emerson laments that strong intellects "dare not yet hear God himself, unless he speak the phraseology of..." whom?
4. Which faith does Emerson NOT mention as an example of "creeds and churches"?
5. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Emerson's view of children and youth? Compare this with his view on adults within society.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's comparison of society to a joint-stock company by explaining what a joint-stock company is and how it works, as well as Emerson's ideas about society's investments and duties and what society receives for it's role in "the company."
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed explanation of how Emerson recommends dealing with relationships with friends and family in paragraph 30 and defend or contradict his recommendation.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)