|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which virtue is paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
2. Who instructed the world, according to Emerson?
3. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
4. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
5. At which point is a person willing to "let the words go"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion in Emerson's life. In what ways was Emerson religiously involved? What do you know about his opinions about religion? Finally, how do you think Emerson's involvement and views on religion are visible in his work?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Emerson's essay is relevant to the issue of peer pressure today? Why or why not? Give some examples.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)