|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
2. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
3. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
4. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
5. What "plays us false" in history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
Essay Topic 2
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's stance on the significance of our past acts, both for ourselves and for society. In what way does Emerson say our past acts are important for society? What does he think about this importance? What does he say about how we should feel about our own past?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)