|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson mean in saying that there "will be power not confident but agent" when the soul is present?
2. Which of the following examples does Emerson NOT name in conjunction with the attribute of the Supreme Cause?
3. What does Emerson claim has happened to "the highest truth on this subject" in referencing the point of the essay overall?
4. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
5. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Transcendentalist movement? How does the essay "Self-Reliance" relate to the movement?
Essay Topic 2
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)