|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson says that another person of greater obedience can master him, although he does not do what?
2. Emerson claims that man "stands on tiptoe" to see what?
3. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
4. What does Emerson NOT say is a good reason to travel?
5. Whom does Emerson say we should awaken when entering "into the state of war"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Emerson's view of children and youth? Compare this with his view on adults within society.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Emerson's use of stylistic elements such as syntax, diction, pace, figurative language, tone, allusions, etc., and explain in which ways his style contributes to the feeling imparted by the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's view of the advancement of society and give several supporting examples.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)