|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which story does Emerson tell to get his point across about self-perception?
2. What is "Himmaleh"?
3. What does conformity explain?
4. What is an institution the lengthened shadow of?
5. Which of the following movements did Emerson NOT mention in his listing of "institutions"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emerson say about involuntary perception (paragraph 21)?
2. Briefly explain Emerson's view on how we should handle our relationships with our families.
3. Who are Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus, referred to in paragraph 19?
4. What does Emerson say about property?
5. Aside from the consequences faced within society, Emerson mentions in paragraph 12 one other factor that causes consistency. What is it?
6. In paragraph 14, Emerson explains the relationship between being misunderstood and greatness. Explain this relationship.
7. In paragraph 36, Emerson talks about real and false prayer. Describe the difference.
8. Explain Emerson's example of "boys who are sure of a dinner" from paragraph 5.
9. In paragraph 10, Emerson gives a long account of exactly why he objects to conformity. His objection relates to personal "force" and the perception of character. Can you explain this objection?
10. What does Emerson mean in paragraph 17 when he says, "An institution is the lengthened shadow of one man."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Emerson's essay is relevant to the issue of peer pressure today? Why or why not? Give some examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your view of the role of education in fostering such values as self-reliance. In what ways does formal education have an effect on self-reliance? In what ways does self-reliance have to be fostered outside of formal education?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)