|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say about the occurrence of virtues?
2. What is a hobgoblin?
3. What does Emerson say will happen if one does not put his heart into his work?
4. What does Emerson say he will do if he is the Devil's child?
5. What does Emerson say Joseph does with his coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of paragraph 16, Emerson says that "of one will, the actions will be harmonious, however unlike they seem." Explain this quote.
2. What does Emerson say man no longer dares to do at the beginning of paragraph 23?
3. Emerson states in paragraph 3 that "We are now men." What does he insist that we must do?
4. In paragraph 14, Emerson explains the relationship between being misunderstood and greatness. Explain this relationship.
5. Explain Emerson's comparison in paragraph 15 of a character to an acrostic.
6. Aside from the consequences faced within society, Emerson mentions in paragraph 12 one other factor that causes consistency. What is it?
7. Why do you think Emerson claims, in talking about some verses he had read, that "The sentiment they instill is of more value than any thought they may contain."?
8. Explain what Emerson is referring to in saying, in paragraph 13, "Leave your theory, as Joseph his coat in the hand of the harlot, and flee."
9. In paragraph 38, Emerson explains the relationship between education and self-reliance. Describe this relationship.
10. Who are Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus, referred to in paragraph 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In paragraph 3, Emerson writes: "And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny ... obeying the Almighty effort, and advancing on Chaos and the Dark." State and explain your opinion of this idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles of the Age of Enlightenment that preceded Emerson's work. Explain the relationship between Emerson's philosophies and those of the Enlightenment.
Essay Topic 3
What does Emerson say the world has learned from its kings? Describe Emerson's view and give your own opinion on the subject.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)