|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the definition of "docility" as used by Emerson ("our docility to our own law")?
2. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
(a) The value of a palace.
(b) The force of power.
(c) The importance of character.
(d) The things of life.
3. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
(a) Their self-evidence.
(b) Their coexistence with passion.
(c) Their self-existence.
(d) Their calming effect.
4. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
(a) In self-reliant hours.
(b) In prudent hours.
(c) In honest hours.
(d) In manly hours.
5. Which of the following does Emerson NOT say "looks abroad" in talking about mimicking other countries?
(a) Our Passion.
(b) Our Religion.
(c) Our Art.
(d) Our Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
2. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
3. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
4. Which of the following does Emerson NOT use as an example of self-sufficiency?
5. Emerson states that we are "like children" who do what?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)