|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
(a) Distinguishing traits.
(b) Principles and standards.
(c) Regard and esteem.
(d) Courage and boldness.
2. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
(a) In offices.
(b) In politics.
(c) In organizations.
(d) In numbers.
3. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
(a) His patron saint.
(b) His book.
(c) His roses.
(d) His house.
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
(a) Perception is something one chooses on one's own.
(b) Perception is as much a fact as the sun.
(c) Perception should be contradicted.
(d) Perception is different for each person.
5. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
(a) An Egyptian pictogram.
(b) A puzzle.
(c) A monument.
(d) A symbol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following examples does Emerson NOT name in conjunction with the attribute of the Supreme Cause?
2. What is it that man no longer dares to say, according to Emerson?
3. Which of the following does Emerson NOT use as an example of self-sufficiency?
4. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
5. Emerson says we should do what instead of sitting down to "cry for company" with others?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)