|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say will explain "the magnetism which all original action exerts"?
(a) The right of every man.
(b) The power of will.
(c) The reason of self-trust.
(d) The force of character.
2. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
(a) In self-reliant hours.
(b) In prudent hours.
(c) In manly hours.
(d) In honest hours.
3. What does Emerson claim must we do in order to see truly?
(a) Worship truly.
(b) Live truly.
(c) Be truly.
(d) Work truly.
4. What does Emerson say are "another sort of false prayer"?
(b) Our regrets.
(d) Our creeds.
5. What does Emerson say goes with him everywhere he goes?
(a) His guilt.
(b) His giant.
(c) His trunk.
(d) His suggestions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
2. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
3. What has the world been taught by "this colossal symbol," the world's instructors?
4. In writing about strength, to whom does Emerson compare the American?
5. What does Emerson say the civilized man no longer know thanks to the Greenwich nautical almanac he has?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)