|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
(a) Distinguishing traits.
(b) Regard and esteem.
(c) Principles and standards.
(d) Courage and boldness.
2. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
(a) The force of power.
(b) The things of life.
(c) The importance of character.
(d) The value of a palace.
3. At what have men looked "so long that they have come to esteem the religious, learned, and civil institutions as guards"?
(d) The cross.
4. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
5. What does Emerson say are "but physiological colors which the eye makes"?
(a) Belief and wisdom.
(b) Light and dark.
(c) Time and space.
(d) Reality and perception.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say will explain "the magnetism which all original action exerts"?
2. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
3. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
4. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
5. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)