|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
(a) His house.
(b) His book.
(c) His roses.
(d) His patron saint.
2. Who does Emerson say has chosen "our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion"?
(d) Our families.
3. What does Emerson say he likes "better than any preaching"?
(a) The look of a full congregation.
(b) The willingness to take action.
(c) The silent church before the service begins.
(d) The quiet of a sanctuary.
4. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
(b) Rejection of manners.
(c) Rejection of society.
5. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
(a) The value of a palace.
(b) The things of life.
(c) The importance of character.
(d) The force of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson call history a parable of?
2. According to Emerson, when will man finally be happy?
3. Which of the following examples does Emerson NOT name in conjunction with the attribute of the Supreme Cause?
4. What does Emerson say the civilized man no longer know thanks to the Greenwich nautical almanac he has?
5. What does Emerson say one shouldn't travel in hope of?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)