|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emerson say a cultivated man feels about his property?
2. What do our first journeys reveal?
(a) The wonders of the world.
(b) The ruins of ruins.
(c) A fool's paradise.
(d) The indifference of places.
3. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
(a) Your own gift.
(c) Your will.
(d) Your art.
4. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
(a) The force of power.
(b) The importance of character.
(c) The things of life.
(d) The value of a palace.
5. What does Emerson say conspires against "the sanity and authority of the soul"?
(c) Our mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that man no longer dares to say, according to Emerson?
2. When does Emerson claim that the luster "will be transferred from the actions of kings to those of gentlemen"?
3. What is the definition of "docility" as used by Emerson ("our docility to our own law")?
4. What has the world been taught by "this colossal symbol," the world's instructors?
5. Emerson states, "The way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new." What does he mean?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)