|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
(a) Fear and gratitude.
(b) Fear and revenge.
(c) Fear and hope.
(d) Hope and joy.
2. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
(a) A thousand college students.
(b) Less than a minister.
(c) A hundred city dolls.
(d) Less than a farmer.
3. Who said "To the persevering mortal ... the blessed Immortals are swift"?
(a) Caliph Ali.
4. In the state of having "life in yourself" that Emerson describes, what does he claim is of no account?
(a) A man's own personal interest.
(b) Vast spaces of nature and long intervals of time.
(c) The will and wanting of others.
(d) This world's many riches.
5. Who does Emerson say has chosen "our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion"?
(a) Our families.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Emerson claim power ceases?
2. Emerson says we should do what instead of sitting down to "cry for company" with others?
3. What does Emerson mean in saying that there "will be power not confident but agent" when the soul is present?
4. How does Emerson describe perception?
5. According to Emerson, Galileo did more with what than anyone since?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)