|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
(a) Fear and gratitude.
(b) Hope and joy.
(c) Fear and revenge.
(d) Fear and hope.
2. What does Emerson claim has happened to "the highest truth on this subject" in referencing the point of the essay overall?
(a) It remains unsaid.
(b) It shall remain a mystery.
(c) It cannot prevail.
(d) It cannot be understood.
3. What "plays us false" in history?
(a) Our imaginations.
(b) Our memories.
(c) Our kings.
(d) Our ceremonies.
4. What does Emerson say it requires to "cast off the common motives of humanity"?
(a) Something warlike.
(b) Something godlike.
(c) Something ingenious.
(d) Something fierce.
5. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson NOT say is a good reason to travel?
2. At what have men looked "so long that they have come to esteem the religious, learned, and civil institutions as guards"?
3. According to Emerson, what is the same to both "kingdom and lordship" and "John and Edward"?
4. In writing about strength, to whom does Emerson compare the American?
5. What does Emerson claim we have become, in stating that man will see that we need his ethics?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)