|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Emerson, Galileo did more with what than anyone since?
(a) An opera-glass.
(b) A map of the stars.
(c) A thermometer.
(d) A telescope.
2. What does Emerson claim we have become, in stating that man will see that we need his ethics?
(a) Desponding whimperers.
(b) Dejected complainers.
(c) Hopeless whiners.
(d) Passive snivelers.
3. What kind of prayer does Emerson call "vicious"?
(a) Prayer that craves a particular commodity.
(b) Prayer that appeals thoughtlessly to God.
(c) Dishonest prayer.
(d) Disheartened prayer.
4. Which virtue is paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
5. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
(a) Regard and esteem.
(b) Courage and boldness.
(c) Principles and standards.
(d) Distinguishing traits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does Emerson NOT name in explaining what man is "one with"?
2. When does Emerson claim that the luster "will be transferred from the actions of kings to those of gentlemen"?
3. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
4. What is it that man no longer dares to say, according to Emerson?
5. "Nature suffers nothing to remain in her kingdoms which..."?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)