|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the attribute of the Supreme Cause according to Emerson?
(b) Absolute justice.
(d) Absolute truth.
2. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
(a) The truth.
(b) His will.
(c) All things.
(d) Pure light.
3. In the final sentence of "Self-Reliance," Emerson writes: "Nothing can bring you peace but" what?
(a) "Your own will."
(b) "The triumph of principles."
(c) "The triumph of your character."
4. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
(a) In manly hours.
(b) In prudent hours.
(c) In self-reliant hours.
(d) In honest hours.
5. At which point is a person willing to "let the words go"?
(a) When he or she no longer needs them.
(b) When he or she realizes that they are useless.
(c) When he or she becomes self-reliant.
(d) When he or she understands them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson announces "The delegation from Essex! The Democrats from New Hampshire!" in an attempt to show that men feel strong under which circumstances?
2. Emerson claims that there are "two confessionals, in one or the other of which we must be shriven." What are the confessionals he is referring to?
3. What "plays us false" in history?
4. According to Emerson, Galileo did more with what than anyone since?
5. Which of the following countries does Emerson NOT mention in talking about traveling?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)