|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which system does Emerson accuse of fostering restlessness?
(a) Our system of travel.
(b) Our system of religion.
(c) Our system of politics.
(d) Our system of education.
2. What does Emerson say the man who is "really of their class" will be the founder of?
(a) A sect.
(b) His own nation.
(c) His family.
(d) His own tradition.
3. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
(a) Fear and hope.
(b) Fear and gratitude.
(c) Fear and revenge.
(d) Hope and joy.
4. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
(a) By the measure of virtue it contains.
(b) By the degree of trust it has in the Supreme Cause.
(c) By the measure of life it contains within it.
(d) By the degree of power it exhibits.
5. What does Emerson say will explain "the magnetism which all original action exerts"?
(a) The force of character.
(b) The power of will.
(c) The reason of self-trust.
(d) The right of every man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson claim has happened to "the highest truth on this subject" in referencing the point of the essay overall?
2. What does Emerson say goes with him everywhere he goes?
3. Which of the following things does Emerson NOT name in explaining what man is "one with"?
4. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
5. "Nature suffers nothing to remain in her kingdoms which..."?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)