|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do our first journeys reveal?
(a) The wonders of the world.
(b) A fool's paradise.
(c) The indifference of places.
(d) The ruins of ruins.
2. What does Emerson claim must we do in order to see truly?
(a) Worship truly.
(b) Live truly.
(c) Work truly.
(d) Be truly.
3. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
(a) By the measure of virtue it contains.
(b) By the degree of power it exhibits.
(c) By the degree of trust it has in the Supreme Cause.
(d) By the measure of life it contains within it.
4. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
5. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Stay away.
(c) Finally be calm.
(d) Take off their shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Emerson NOT say "looks abroad" in talking about mimicking other countries?
2. What does Emerson say conspires against "the sanity and authority of the soul"?
3. Emerson claims that man "stands on tiptoe" to see what?
4. Emerson says that another person of greater obedience can master him, although he does not do what?
5. In the state of having "life in yourself" that Emerson describes, what does he claim is of no account?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)