|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say you can "present every moment"?
(a) Your will.
(c) Your own gift.
(d) Your art.
2. How does Emerson claim we give men the power to annoy us?
(a) Through our curiosity.
(b) Through our friendliness.
(c) Through our weakness.
(d) Through our dependence.
3. What kind of prayer does Emerson call "vicious"?
(a) Disheartened prayer.
(b) Dishonest prayer.
(c) Prayer that craves a particular commodity.
(d) Prayer that appeals thoughtlessly to God.
4. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
(a) Less than a farmer.
(b) A thousand college students.
(c) A hundred city dolls.
(d) Less than a minister.
5. Emerson laments that strong intellects "dare not yet hear God himself, unless he speak the phraseology of..." whom?
(a) Lukas, or Daniel or Isaiah.
(b) Luther, or Milton or Plato.
(c) David, or Jeremiah or Paul.
(d) Society at large.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the definition of the word "valors" when Caratach is admonished to inquire the mind of the god Audate and replies: "His hidden meaning lies in our endeavours; Our valors are our best gods.")?
2. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
3. According to Emerson, when will man finally be happy?
4. What "plays us false" in history?
5. What does Emerson say conspires against "the sanity and authority of the soul"?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)