|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus have in common?
(a) They all protect their kingdoms against powerful enemies.
(b) They all lead their people to great riches.
(c) They all are dukes.
(d) They all are kings.
2. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
(b) Rejection of manners.
(c) Rejection of society.
3. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
(a) The use of his feet.
(b) A road to go by.
(c) His will to travel.
(d) The use of his horses.
4. What does the soul perceive about Truth and Right in the state of having "life in yourself'?
(a) Their self-existence.
(b) Their coexistence with passion.
(c) Their calming effect.
(d) Their self-evidence.
5. Emerson claims that man "stands on tiptoe" to see what?
(a) The past.
(b) The future.
(c) His own riches.
(d) His blooming garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
2. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
3. In which hours does Emerson say "We feel that duty is our place"?
4. What is a man worth that "tries all the professions"?
5. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)