|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
(a) All things.
(b) Pure light.
(c) His will.
(d) The truth.
2. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
(a) Doubt themselves.
(b) Lose all heart.
(c) Turn to society for help.
(d) Turn to God.
3. According to Emerson, Galileo did more with what than anyone since?
(a) A map of the stars.
(b) A thermometer.
(c) An opera-glass.
(d) A telescope.
4. Which of the following does Emerson NOT use as an example of self-sufficiency?
(a) A child growing up to be a man.
(b) A rose blooming after a storm.
(c) The creation of a planet.
(d) A tree recovering from a storm.
5. Emerson says that another person of greater obedience can master him, although he does not do what?
(a) Openly challenge him.
(b) Raise his finger.
(c) Appeal to armies.
(d) Speak a single word.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emerson mentions something personal to him that makes "no reference" to the past and simply exists with God today. What is it?
2. What kind of prayer does Emerson call "vicious"?
3. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
4. What do Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus have in common?
5. What does Emerson say we can know about justice?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)