|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson claim society never does?
(c) Looks back.
2. What "plays us false" in history?
(a) Our imaginations.
(b) Our kings.
(c) Our memories.
(d) Our ceremonies.
3. What does Emerson mean in saying that there "will be power not confident but agent" when the soul is present?
(a) We do not hope for power, we have power.
(b) Our power is not prideful.
(c) Our power lives.
(d) We do not confide our power to others.
4. Emerson states, "The way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new." What does he mean?
(a) Each person experiences that state for himself or herself alone.
(b) That state is unlike anything we've ever experienced.
(c) That state can be disconcerting in the beginning.
(d) When we reach that state, we will finally understand what others meant in describing it.
5. What does Emerson claim has happened to "the highest truth on this subject" in referencing the point of the essay overall?
(a) It shall remain a mystery.
(b) It cannot be understood.
(c) It cannot prevail.
(d) It remains unsaid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which emotions does Emerson say are beneath the state of having "life in yourself"?
2. What does Emerson say will explain "the magnetism which all original action exerts"?
3. How does Emerson describe perception?
4. What does Emerson call "primary wisdom"?
5. What will we gladly do when we have "new perception"?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)