|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emerson say a man feels when he has done his best?
2. What word does Emerson use to describe people who live their own opinion "in the midst of the crowd"?
3. What does Emerson say happens to the "voices which we hear in solitude" as we enter into the world?
(a) They become louder and more powerful.
(b) They grow faint and inaudible.
(c) They become abstract.
(d) They are affected by others.
4. What is Emerson suggesting with his mention of Joseph and his coat?
(a) That we abandon the need to conform.
(b) That we abandon previous theories.
(c) That we flee from God and religion.
(d) That we flee from contradiction.
5. What does Emerson say members are trying to secure in his comparison to joint-stock companies?
(a) Their bread.
(b) Their reputations.
(c) Their jobs.
(d) Their profits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say causes a man to come to the conviction that "...envy is ignorance"?
2. What does Emerson say will happen if one does not put his heart into his work?
3. What does Emerson say he will do if he is the Devil's child?
4. Which of the following did Emerson NOT say by name is misunderstood?
5. What does Emerson say man is jailed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of paragraph 19, Emerson says, "As great a stake depends on your private act to-day, as followed their public and renowned steps." What does he mean by this quote?
2. Explain which characteristics Emerson says, in paragraph 11, that a person must be equipped with in order to withstand the consequences of nonconformity.
3. Why does Emerson say in paragraph 26 that the world hates the fact that the soul becomes?
4. In paragraph 33, Emerson says, "We are become timorous, desponding whimperers." Explain what he means by this.
5. Why do other members of society "need" us to be consistent according to Emerson in paragraph 12?
6. Aside from the consequences faced within society, Emerson mentions in paragraph 12 one other factor that causes consistency. What is it?
7. In paragraph 21, Emerson begins an explanation of the "reason of self-trust." Explain very briefly the question he is asking and the answer he finds.
8. Why do you think Emerson claims, in talking about some verses he had read, that "The sentiment they instill is of more value than any thought they may contain."?
9. What does Emerson mean when he says (in paragraph 10), "Nature is not slow to equip us in the prison-uniform of the party to which we adhere. We come to wear one cut of face and figure"?
10. Emerson describes insightfully in paragraph 9 when it is easy to live according to his philosophy and when it is difficult. Explain this insight.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)