|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say tendency does to variety of actions?
(a) Tendency steers the course of a variety of actions.
(b) Tendency unites all actions.
(c) Tendency kills the distinctness of variety.
(d) Tendency makes good any vice in a variety of actions.
2. Emerson says boys try and sentence people and facts based on what?
(a) Their characters.
(b) Their own mind.
(c) Their merits.
(d) Their intuition.
3. Who does Emerson say the youth speaks forcefully to?
(a) Their contemporaries.
4. What does Emerson not recommend dragging about in his discussion of past acts?
(a) The corpse of your memory.
(b) The deadweight of contradiction.
(c) The burden of the public.
(d) The carcass of your consistency.
5. What does conformity explain?
(a) One's fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does genuine action explain?
2. "The voyage of the best ship is..."
3. What does Emerson say the muscles are moved by in his discussion of company?
4. Which of the following figures does Emerson not mention as being an example of speaking one's mind?
5. What is a hobgoblin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emerson feel about travel? Explain why.
2. In paragraph 13, Emerson says it "seems to be a rule of wisdom never to rely on your memory alone ... but to bring the past for judgment into the thousand-eyed present." What does he mean by the phrase "thousand-eyed present"?
3. What does Emerson mean in paragraph 17 when he says, "An institution is the lengthened shadow of one man."?
4. In paragraph 21, Emerson begins an explanation of the "reason of self-trust." Explain very briefly the question he is asking and the answer he finds.
5. At the beginning of paragraph 16, Emerson says that "of one will, the actions will be harmonious, however unlike they seem." Explain this quote.
6. Explain Emerson's theory on the importance of kings for the world as stated in paragraph 20.
7. In paragraph 36, Emerson talks about real and false prayer. Describe the difference.
8. Explain Emerson's comparison in paragraph 15 of a character to an acrostic.
9. Why does Emerson say in paragraph 26 that the world hates the fact that the soul becomes?
10. Explain which characteristics Emerson says, in paragraph 11, that a person must be equipped with in order to withstand the consequences of nonconformity.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)