|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following countries does Emerson NOT mention in talking about traveling?
2. At which point is a person willing to "let the words go"?
(a) When he or she becomes self-reliant.
(b) When he or she realizes that they are useless.
(c) When he or she understands them.
(d) When he or she no longer needs them.
3. How does Emerson measure the degree to which a thing is real?
(a) By the degree of power it exhibits.
(b) By the measure of virtue it contains.
(c) By the measure of life it contains within it.
(d) By the degree of trust it has in the Supreme Cause.
4. Which of the following does Emerson NOT say "looks abroad" in talking about mimicking other countries?
(a) Our Art.
(b) Our Education.
(c) Our Passion.
(d) Our Religion.
5. In the final sentence of "Self-Reliance," Emerson writes: "Nothing can bring you peace but" what?
(a) "Your own will."
(b) "The triumph of your character."
(c) "The triumph of principles."
6. What is the definition of "docility" as used by Emerson ("our docility to our own law")?
7. How does Emerson describe the relationship between the soul and the "divine spirit"?
8. What do young men do if they fail in their first enterprises?
(a) Turn to God.
(b) Doubt themselves.
(c) Lose all heart.
(d) Turn to society for help.
9. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
(a) The use of his horses.
(b) His will to travel.
(c) A road to go by.
(d) The use of his feet.
10. What does Emerson say goes with him everywhere he goes?
(a) His guilt.
(b) His giant.
(c) His suggestions.
(d) His trunk.
11. What does Emerson say he likes "better than any preaching"?
(a) The look of a full congregation.
(b) The silent church before the service begins.
(c) The willingness to take action.
(d) The quiet of a sanctuary.
12. What does Emerson mean in saying that there "will be power not confident but agent" when the soul is present?
(a) Our power lives.
(b) Our power is not prideful.
(c) We do not confide our power to others.
(d) We do not hope for power, we have power.
13. What does Emerson say are "but physiological colors which the eye makes"?
(a) Belief and wisdom.
(b) Light and dark.
(c) Reality and perception.
(d) Time and space.
14. What "plays us false" in history?
(a) Our imaginations.
(b) Our ceremonies.
(c) Our kings.
(d) Our memories.
15. What is antinomianism ("The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is ... mere antinomianism")?
(b) Rejection of manners.
(d) Rejection of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
2. Which of the following things does Emerson NOT name in explaining what man is "one with"?
3. What does Emerson say the man who is "really of their class" will be the founder of?
4. Who said "To the persevering mortal ... the blessed Immortals are swift"?
5. What does Emerson call "primary wisdom"?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)